Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Door Locks Stopped Working...Sort Of - Fixed! CVT Shifter Not Fully Seated in Park

Managed to get to 41 posts though. I think we're going to end up using up all the internet one day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are you saying you can pull your key out of the ignition when the car is in drive?
    I guess this turned into how things work thread lol
    No, but I can and have locked the doors while in drive.

I was just thinking about the possibility the CVT was electrically shifted; My '05 Trailblazer had an electrically shifted transmission, and transfer case; there was no mechanical linkage from the shift lever to the tranny.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Updated original post with the solution.

stecoop, it would still be helpful if you could verify the microswitch on your CVT shift lever. I suspect this problem won't fix itself and one day you'll be forced to go in there to straighten out that little tab. And don't forget pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Updated original post with the solution.

stecoop, it would still be helpful if you could verify the microswitch on your CVT shift lever. I suspect this problem won't fix itself and one day you'll be forced to go in there to straighten out that little tab. And don't forget pictures.
    Well, it happened again, this morning; I went to the grocery store and when I got out, I couldn't lock the doors. I jiggled the gear shift lever and was able to lock the doors. I'm pretty sure I didn't bump the lever getting out.

One thing I noticed this morning has in common with the previous morning, a unusually very heavy morning dew; even the inside of the car was a little damp. I wonder if there might be some condensation occuring inside the switches.

Anyway, I'm 64 years old and in failing health; I'm not particularly anxious to take my car apart. However, it's supposed to be a nice weekend around here, so, after I finish my weekend chores, if I still feel up to it, I'll try to dig into it and get some pictures.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    Well, it happened again, this morning; I went to the grocery store and when I got out, I couldn't lock the doors. I jiggled the gear shift lever and was able to lock the doors. I'm pretty sure I didn't bump the lever getting out.

One thing I noticed this morning has in common with the previous morning, a unusually very heavy morning dew; even the inside of the car was a little damp. I wonder if there might be some condensation occuring inside the switches.

Anyway, I'm 64 years old and in failing health; I'm not particularly anxious to take my car apart. However, it's supposed to be a nice weekend around here, so, after I finish my weekend chores, if I still feel up to it, I'll try to dig into it and get some pictures.
    I would take it in to the dealer, and see what one of the technicians says. Maybe it's an easy fix.

Suppose to be a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty right? Push some strings a bit and see what happens

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I would take it in to the dealer, and see what one of the technicians says. Maybe it's an easy fix.

Suppose to be a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty right? Push some strings a bit and see what happens
    He bought his 2017 Mirage used with 45,000 miles (according to his garage entry) in early 2018. That would give him the remaining 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty to work with. If he hasn't put 15,000 miles on his Mirage in 2.5 years, he may have some warranty left?

10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty doesn't transfer to the second owner, & this may not be considered a powertrain issue anyways.

It may still be an easy fix. It's obviously a switch issue that a manual transmission wouldn't have.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    He bought his 2017 Mirage used with 45,000 miles (according to his garage entry) in early 2018. That would give him the remaining 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty to work with. If he hasn't put 15,000 miles on his Mirage in 2.5 years, he may have some warranty left?

10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty doesn't transfer to the second owner, & this may not be considered a powertrain issue anyways.

It may still be an easy fix. It's obviously a switch issue that a manual transmission wouldn't have.

I have over 65,000 miles on it now; there is no warranty.

This afternoon I tore down the gearshift assembly, and took pictures. The only unusual thing I found was a Maple seed pod under the assembly; I can't imagine how something that big was able to get in there.

I'll be posting pictures and a description later today or sometime tomorrow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    History lesson: Until just a few years ago, all cars sold in the United States since the early 1970's were required to lock the steering column AND gear shift lever when the ignition key is removed, as a theft deterent; this is why the ignition switch was moved from the dashboard to the steering column. Since the law was repealed, most manufacturers have continued to put the ignition switch on the steering column, probably because that is where most young drivers learned it would be. I have seen one or two models with the ignition switch back on the dash.
    Curious to learn more about these requirements I came across this website:

Automobile Safety Foundation - Steering Locks!

Though there's way too many exclamation points to take it seriously, there's still some interesting information.

Regarding your health, I apologize for pressuring you into doing this. It's too easy to forget that there's a whole range of folks chiming in here. And I'm sorry that you have to go through this in the first place.

I have over 65,000 miles on it now; there is no warranty.

This afternoon I tore down the gearshift assembly, and took pictures. The only unusual thing I found was a Maple seed pod under the assembly; I can't imagine how something that big was able to get in there.

I'll be posting pictures and a description later today or sometime tomorrow.
    Was the microswitch tab bent out of position as shown in Fummins' post? It can be tough to tell unless you exercise the shifter some - did you put everything back together again? Again I apologize as I don't have experience with the CVT.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. This will definitely help others down the road who have the same problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Upon learning that Trump's in the dump, and Biden's in the win, that cheered me right up and gave me the energy to go tear my car apart...well, the gearshift anyway. (Let's not start a political war here).

I direct everybody to Scratchpaddy's excellent, but very long, article about dismantling the interior to see how to remove the center console cover; it is easy for the very agile.

TIP: when removing the little cover between the Parking brake and the gearshift, pry up the FRONT end of the cover first; don't make the mistake I made prying up the back end and damaging or breaking the hooks that hold the back end down.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-with-pictures

This is what I found after I removed the cover:
    Name:  Image01.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  97.8 KB
    Name:  Image02.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  97.7 KB
    I've noted some of the parts you'll be concerned with. Note the Maple Seed pod under the assembly...how did it get there?

There are two covers on the assembly, both just unsnap from the outer frame. Before removing the second cover, remove the display light by twisting counter-clockwise and pulling it out.

Gently pry the shift cable yoke off the stud.
    Name:  Image03.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  95.0 KB
    After you remove the 4 bolts, with a 12mm socket, you'll be able to roll over the assembly to undo the cable clips (with needle nose pliers, squeeze the catches together and push out), and unfasten the shift cable clip (while pushing the catch on the bottom of the clip in towards the lever, slide the clip out of the slot).

Very carefully unplug the electrical connector...DO NOT PULL ON THE WIRES! They are very small and easily damaged.

You should now be able to remove the assembly from the car.

For those of you who are fanatics about detailing every square millimeter of your car, time to get to work:
    Name:  Image04.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  96.3 KB

Upon inspection I found the Park switch undamaged:
    Name:  Image05.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  92.3 KB
    Name:  Image06.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  68.6 KB
    I did notice there was a lot of dirt and debris in the assembly; this may have played a part in keeping the lever from getting all the way into park; lots of cleaning to do.

Moving on, I identified some of the other parts:
    Name:  Image07.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  91.5 KB
    Name:  Image08.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  58.1 KB
    Name:  Image09.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  84.4 KB
    Name:  Image10.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  87.0 KB

The gearshift assembly consists of an outer frame (yellowish), an inner frame (white), and the pivot assembly (black). To remove the inner frame from the outer frame, remove the manual gearshift release lever, carefully remove the two pivot retainers, and slide the inner frame out of the outer frame. Note that there is substantial spring pressure on the pivot assembly, but it will NOT fly out of the inner frame when you remove the pivot retainers, but it may pinch you if your fingers are in the wrong place.

I did not remove the pivot assembly from the inner frame, as I really didn't want to get into a fight with a strong spring and plunger assembly. For those of you who want that fight, carefully spread apart the bottom of the inner frame until the pivot assembly pops out (be prepared for a face full of pivot assembly!)

Anyway, my diagnosis is that all the dirt and debris and seed pods may have interfered with the movement of the gearshift lever.
    After a lot of cleaning, I put it all back together, reinstalled it in my car, and put the console back together.

So far, I'm having no problems with it, but time will tell.

Reminder, this was in a 2017 ES model; your's may vary.