Thread: Shift Gear MT

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Shift Gear MT

Hi guys,

I would like to ask for help or an idea what can cause for the stick shift not to re center?

A 2nd owner of a mirage is looking for a replacement of the shift gear assembly.
    If you look at the pic. it has black something i the white grease.

Heres the picture he posted. Hoping someone could help if theres a fix for this.

Name:  FB_IMG_1604660345244.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  98.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Worn bushings in the shifter linkage would cause the shifter to feel sloppy and not sit centered. I replaced rubber OEM bushings with urethane or metal bushings on some cars to eliminate play and make shifting more precise. Stiffer bushings will add vibration also so it depends on how you drive and what you're comfortable with.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    Worn bushings in the shifter linkage would cause the shifter to feel sloppy and not sit centered. I replaced rubber OEM bushings with urethane or metal bushings on some cars to eliminate play and make shifting more precise. Stiffer bushings will add vibration also so it depends on how you drive and what you're comfortable with.
    Just to confirm, are you talking about the parts in the engine bay/near the transmission and not in the cabin/shifter area?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    oh ok.. but based on the pic is the stick assembly still good or also need replacement?

is there any other reason that could lead the stick not to recenter? any other fix?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On my Acura I just changed it was bushings on both sides of the linkage. At the transmission and at the shift lever mounting point. Night and day difference going from worn rubber. to urethane

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-06-2020)