Thread: TouchScreen transplant from newer mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

TouchScreen transplant from newer mirage

Does anyone know how difficult it will be to transplant the touchscreen from a newer mirage?

When searching car-part.com, I saw a couple of decent looking double-dins. I believe the first one below is from a G4.

Name:  9904_00182646_03_web.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  8683_3397_14_web.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  57.9 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nope.. but this renovation interests me and my current stereo situation on my Mirage. My volume knob isn't working properly anymore. At least not all the time.

I would be most worried/concerned about scratching the interior plastics doing the job. I literally still have some of the factory plastic covering some interior parts to this day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Wait for Dodge Aries K to stop by - he’s done some of these swaps and can steer you through the traps. There’s some harnesses, connectors, brackets and stuff that you want to make sure you grab, depending on what you’re starting with and what you’re going toward.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ Darn. I thought it was going to be plug and play. Bummer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    ^ Darn. I thought it was going to be plug and play. Bummer.
    I think it is. Just gotta have the right hardware?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not totally plug and play depending on the radio. What year is your car and do you have factory bluetooth or the accessory bluetooth option?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Not totally plug and play depending on the radio. What year is your car and do you have factory bluetooth or the accessory bluetooth option?
    '14 ES.

How do I know what bluetooth option I have? It does have bluetooth from the factory, but the "normal" style double din without touch. It has steering wheel controls as well.

Similar to the image below.

Name:  9635_2564_09_web.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  77.0 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    '14 ES.

How do I know what bluetooth option I have? It does have bluetooth from the factory, but the "normal" style double din without touch. It has steering wheel controls as well.
    You have the factory bluetooth configuration. The steering wheel control buttons are the dead giveaway.

Bluetooth adapters added at the port of entry had the Bluetooth controls mounted on the dashboard.

Your microphone should be in your center ceiling console.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, so here's the bad news. The stock microphone wiring isn't going to work with the touch screen radios. The Apple CarPlay one made by Hyundai uses 3 wires for the microphone whereas the factory bluetooth module just uses two. That's why in my 15 ES I used the whole kit from a 2017 SE to put in the Apple CarPlay unit so I have a mic on the ceiling that does nothing and then the one on the steering column that actually is connected to the unit. The stock microphone SHOULD work with the unit if you replace the wiring that runs up to it but I didn't get that far with testing to really find out since I didn't feel like rewiring from the ceiling down to the headunit. You'll need to find parts specifically from a 2017 to add in this unit without maximum suffering... the adaptor harness lets you also easily add an aftermarket backup camera. If you get the adaptor harness from a 18+ it's more streamlined and makes the job a bit more difficult since then you'd definitely have to rewire part of the car to use the proper 3 wire microphone.

The "base" touch screen has the microphone right on the front so for that one it's easier to add. Just unplug the bluetooth module while you're in the dash, take the USB cable out of the bluetooth module and plug it right into the back of the new head unit, and plug in the head unit to the stock connectors on the dash and it'll work. Note, the voice button won't do anything anymore with that radio.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ Thanks for that. Sounds more of a headache.

I might just stick to the current audio setup since I just got reminded how awesome it sounds when using bluetooth.

I just need to swap radio apps on the phone as needed.