Thread: Antenna

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Antenna

I have to ***** again about the terrible quality of my 2017 reception vs. my 2014. It's night and day. My 2017 can barely pull in a powerful FM station 40 miles away transmitting over water. That is really poor. My '14 can pull in the same station with perfect clarity 80 miles away and while in the canyon of a major city. Perhaps I'll retrofit the '14 antenna mount onto my '17.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I have to ***** again about the terrible quality of my 2017 reception vs. my 2014. It's night and day. My 2017 can barely pull in a powerful FM station 40 miles away transmitting over water. That is really poor. My '14 can pull in the same station with perfect clarity 80 miles away and while in the canyon of a major city. Perhaps I'll retrofit the '14 antenna mount onto my '17.

Not a real answer, but an explanation of the change. I like to learn new things!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1837879149/amp

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The antenna amp needs 12V to operate. Maybe you would like to check.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    tumbs up for 12v

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    where to measure the voltage with reference to ground?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    where to measure the voltage with reference to ground?
    Assuming you have the standard, simple radio/CD, not with GPS, Nav, etc etc.

Go to the base of the antenna, look from the inside under the roof onto the base. Connected to the antenna-base you will find the coaxial signal cable, and immediately next to it the pink 12V power supply cable. Ground for the circuit comes from the mechanical connection to the roof. No ground, no function. Check the 12V measured to chassis, check the 12V measured to the antenna-base.

On the other end is the radio itself, and inbetween antenna and radio the wiring. The connector on the radio side might be not connected properly, or the cable damaged somewhere. There is a flat 20-pin connector going to the radio, with a pink wire near the middle of the connector, pin number 14. See the FSM, section 90-162 The actual antenna connector on the radio side is a different connector.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-07-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Assuming you have the standard, simple radio/CD, not with GPS, Nav, etc etc.

Go to the base of the antenna, look from the inside under the roof onto the base. Connected to the antenna-base you will find the coaxial signal cable, and immediately next to it the pink 12V power supply cable. Ground for the circuit comes from the mechanical connection to the roof. No ground, no function. Check the 12V measured to chassis, check the 12V measured to the antenna-base.

On the other end is the radio itself, and inbetween antenna and radio the wiring. The connector on the radio side might be not connected properly, or the cable damaged somewhere. There is a flat 20-pin connector going to the radio, with a pink wire near the middle of the connector, pin number 14. See the FSM, section 90-162 The actual antenna connector on the radio side is a different connector.
    hey, thanks that's amazing stuff. way more complicated than the simple wire embedded in the glass antenna

eta: to be clear, there is a preamp attached at the antenna powered by 12v. does the long antenna mirage have a preamp?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    ... eta: to be clear, there is a preamp attached at the antenna powered by 12v. does the long antenna mirage have a preamp?
    Yup. In the base. See the FSM

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ugh, the headliner needs to be removed for this? well this just became a summer task then. no way I'm pulling headliners in almost Dec!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    No, you don't have to remove the headliner.
    You could raise the hatch and undo only the rear headliner fastening. Then you could carefully put it out of the way just enough to access the base. A 5 minute job.