Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Ioniq

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll have to look into what rebates are available for the phev ioniq. It goes 29mi all electric with my commute I may never use gasoline lol.
    But I'd also have to research the plug options

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got a PHEV for my daughter while at college. She charges on campus and never buys gas unless shes driving home. About 30 miles electric and 630 with a tank of gas

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

Loren (11-10-2020)

I believe 7milesout mentioned his buddy had a volt. Maybe it was someone else. The numbers look good for those cars too. Longer electric range in the later models than the phev ioniq and the prius prime iirc. I'm sure there will be more competition in the next couple years.

The few things I don't love about the ioniq are the dual clutch transmission and the direct injection may not be as reliable as plain old port injection and a regular transmission but it seems that's the way some if not most are heading. Can't say it isn't reliable without trying it first, unlike a Mirage car reviewer.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got a PHEV for my daughter while at college. She charges on campus and never buys gas unless shes driving home. About 30 miles electric and 630 with a tank of gas

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Okay so what things can you point out between a toyota and Korean car that sets them apart?

My actual work commute is short, only 8mi each way so with a plug in I could probably never use gasoline but I also would have to get a special plug wired in wouldnt I? It would probably take forever to charge on 110v
    Pryme - If you had worked at both, it would be clear. The absolute main thing is: MINDSET. Toyota is full of really great business minds who in many cases double up as very smart and experienced engineers.

What Toyota focuses on is: "What is best for our customers? We will pursue that at all costs."

What Hyundai focues on is: What is Toyota doing, and how are they doing it? I am not exaggerating. Been there, done that. That's why they are as good as they are.

Other details, such things as, Toyota will use a screw at many locations, where Hyundai will cheap out and use clips. Toyota drives their vendors hard for the best possible quality, then rewards them when they achieve (by paying them profitably). That makes a vendor bend over backward to achieve their best for Toyota. Hyundai will give every vendor the shaft at every possible instance. That works for Korean vendors because they just bend over and take it (because in Korea, Hyundai is KING). But North American vendors providing parts for Hyundai will cut corners and cuss out Hyundai because they are just sick of their crap, and barely make a profit if they don't lie, cheat and steal from Hyundai.

Toyota production will shut down (temporarily and corrected) if every fastener is not correctly counted, and (recorded) torque is obtained. Hyundai loses fasteners down on the floor before the carpet all day every day. And check for fastener rattle (from under the carpet) on their test track (it's just one of the checks). The saying at the Hyundai plant is: Don't be a squealer, ship it to the dealer. The vast majority of Hyundai vehicles undergo some level of repair post production. Most Toyota vehicles are cranked up at the end of the production line by Toyota Motor Sales staff and driven right to the shipping yard. Produced by Toyota Motor Manufacturing, sold to Toyota Motor Sales. At least that's what they were called when I was there, may be the same.

Hyundai were (and probably still) selling wheels with casting voids from the manufacturers and when proven, they just deny its true, even though there are instances of wheel balancing where a wheel / tire combo can never be properly balanced. A customer has to just live with it. I could go on and on.

Toyota vehicles are not perfect. Not by a long shot. But the average Toyota vehicle will ALWAYS be better than the average Hyundai (or any brand) vehicle.

It took years of hard liquor and shock therapy to get over the madness that happened at Hyundai-Kia factories. And yet, they build a better vehicle than say, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. Copying Toyota as best they can at every instance has its benefits. Porsche is sort of a standout (good) at this point. But doesn't offer a true entry level vehicle for the masses. And if they did try to build a cheap vehicle, they'd probably schmutz it up.

As for the charge time, I'm not 100% certain on this, but this is how I understand it works. If one bought a Volt new, I think a charging station could be erected at one's home (garage) for a nominal fee. But, the Volt also works with a regular 120V cord as well. It takes longer. But, you come home at night, plug it in and forget about it. It takes maybe 8 hours from fully discharged to fully charged. But you plug it in, and the next morning it's good to go. If you forget to plug in, no problem, the Volt and the Prime work just fine even if not charged. They just use gas.

Wanna drive cross-country? Fire the Volt or Prime up and take off. No special preparation. They can run non-stop.
    Except to stop at a gas station, 5 minutes later you're rolling again. Not so with a Leaf or Tata (which is what I call Tesla). My saying, "you'll never see a Tesla with out of state tags!" Of course if you live in smaller states with big cities near the borders, they doesn't hold true. But big states, it's mostly true, you get what I mean I'm sure. Wanna drive a Tesla cross-country? Be prepared for a week-long frustrating event.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Macmoto (11-11-2020),Pryme (11-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    An interesting race would be any Mitsubishi Mirage versus any Tesla, cross-country. New York to LA.

The Mirage would SLAUGHTER the Tesla ... by DAYS!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    MirageRally - I suggest a Prius Prime. Toyota took a good hard look at the Chevy Volt (the best concept for electric / hybrid vehicles that exists in my opinion), and voila the Prius Prime was born. You can bet Toyota tore at least one Chevy Volt down to the bare bones and studied everything. When I was at Toyota, we took a fresh brand new Acura MDX off the dealer lot (rented it for a couple weeks). We tore it down to just a whitebody, threw it back together and gave it back to the dealer. Happens all the time ... in Detroit anyway.

If, one has very short local commutes, the Prius Prime (and Chevy Volt) can't be beat, at least for mpg. Guys on the Volt forums have to put Sta-Bil in their gas because they refuel so infrequently. Last I checked, some were in the thousands of mpg. Would work well for me where I live. But I chose the inexpensive car with high fuel mileage route. Lowest TCO route.
    Problem about the prime is it's electric... don't want to add any more unnecessary complicated stuff.... Plus as pryme has pointed out that I would need to get a special plug which would increase my electric bill... Not by much but enough for me to notice. Next car=Toyota Prius, only have to fill the tank up with gas and not worry about charging.... How long does it take to charge fully? If l could charge an electric car up in the same amount of time to fill up my gas tank then l would get an electric car today... But the charging network is not there yet. So until then l know what my next car is.

Edit: if I want to worry about something I want to worry about filling the car up with gas and not both. Just my . 02
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    Which one did you get?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Problem about the prime is it's electric... don't want to add any more unnecessary complicated stuff.... Plus as pryme has pointed out that I would need to get a special plug which would increase my electric bill... Not by much but enough for me to notice. Next car=Toyota Prius, only have to fill the tank up with gas and not worry about charging.... How long does it take to charge fully? If l could charge an electric car up in the same amount of time to fill up my gas tank then l would get an electric car today... But the charging network is not there yet. So until then l know what my next car is.

Edit: if I want to worry about something I want to worry about filling the car up with gas and not both. Just my . 02
    The ioniq regular hybrid is like the regular Prius but a bit better mileage. They have three ioniqs

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Pryme - If you had worked at both, it would be clear. The absolute main thing is: MINDSET. Toyota is full of really great business minds who in many cases double up as very smart and experienced engineers.

What Toyota focuses on is: "What is best for our customers? We will pursue that at all costs."

What Hyundai focues on is: What is Toyota doing, and how are they doing it? I am not exaggerating. Been there, done that. That's why they are as good as they are.

Other details, such things as, Toyota will use a screw at many locations, where Hyundai will cheap out and use clips. Toyota drives their vendors hard for the best possible quality, then rewards them when they achieve (by paying them profitably). That makes a vendor bend over backward to achieve their best for Toyota. Hyundai will give every vendor the shaft at every possible instance. That works for Korean vendors because they just bend over and take it (because in Korea, Hyundai is KING). But North American vendors providing parts for Hyundai will cut corners and cuss out Hyundai because they are just sick of their crap, and barely make a profit if they don't lie, cheat and steal from Hyundai.

Toyota production will shut down (temporarily and corrected) if every fastener is not correctly counted, and (recorded) torque is obtained. Hyundai loses fasteners down on the floor before the carpet all day every day. And check for fastener rattle (from under the carpet) on their test track (it's just one of the checks). The saying at the Hyundai plant is: Don't be a squealer, ship it to the dealer. The vast majority of Hyundai vehicles undergo some level of repair post production. Most Toyota vehicles are cranked up at the end of the production line by Toyota Motor Sales staff and driven right to the shipping yard. Produced by Toyota Motor Manufacturing, sold to Toyota Motor Sales. At least that's what they were called when I was there, may be the same.

Hyundai were (and probably still) selling wheels with casting voids from the manufacturers and when proven, they just deny its true, even though there are instances of wheel balancing where a wheel / tire combo can never be properly balanced. A customer has to just live with it. I could go on and on.

Toyota vehicles are not perfect. Not by a long shot. But the average Toyota vehicle will ALWAYS be better than the average Hyundai (or any brand) vehicle.

It took years of hard liquor and shock therapy to get over the madness that happened at Hyundai-Kia factories. And yet, they build a better vehicle than say, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. Copying Toyota as best they can at every instance has its benefits. Porsche is sort of a standout (good) at this point. But doesn't offer a true entry level vehicle for the masses. And if they did try to build a cheap vehicle, they'd probably schmutz it up.

As for the charge time, I'm not 100% certain on this, but this is how I understand it works. If one bought a Volt new, I think a charging station could be erected at one's home (garage) for a nominal fee. But, the Volt also works with a regular 120V cord as well. It takes longer. But, you come home at night, plug it in and forget about it. It takes maybe 8 hours from fully discharged to fully charged. But you plug it in, and the next morning it's good to go. If you forget to plug in, no problem, the Volt and the Prime work just fine even if not charged. They just use gas.

Wanna drive cross-country? Fire the Volt or Prime up and take off. No special preparation. They can run non-stop.
    Except to stop at a gas station, 5 minutes later you're rolling again. Not so with a Leaf or Tata (which is what I call Tesla). My saying, "you'll never see a Tesla with out of state tags!" Of course if you live in smaller states with big cities near the borders, they doesn't hold true. But big states, it's mostly true, you get what I mean I'm sure. Wanna drive a Tesla cross-country? Be prepared for a week-long frustrating event.
    No another question. Japanese built vs american made toyota? Some models like corolla is now built both places. I didnt know some of the corollas are now coming over from Japan.