Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Ioniq

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True, can't remember which models but all 2021 and newer are made in America now... But again can't remember which models... I believe the 4runner and Lexus gsf, isf, and es are still made in Japan... Does anyone else know? the other problem I don't like is all the newer ones get more downgraded engines... For example the 4runner went from a V8 to the V6... Since driving my Mirage I definitely don't want to go back to big V8 gas guzzling cuz but I do like the old v8s and they were a lot more durable... No doubt the V6 is durable too but 2+more cylinders, come on man haha.

Last edited by MirageRally; 11-11-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    True, can't remember which models but all 2021 and newer I made in America now... But again can't remember which models... I believe the 4runner and Lexus gsf, isf, and es are still made in Japan... Does anyone else know? the other problem I don't like is all the newer ones get more downgraded engines... For example the 4runner went from a V8 to the V6... Since driving my Mirage I definitely don't want to go back to big V8 gas guzzling cuz but I do like the old v8s and they were a lot more durable... No doubt the V6 is durable too but 2+more cylinders, come on man haha.
    Prius is made in Japan also and like I said, I was looking at new corollas online just to look and saw they were coming in from Japan (the J vin is a giveaway) but also noticed they use a cvt now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well that's good... So were a lot of the Scion products were Japanese. Yeah Corollas use cvts now and I'm sure a lot of the lineup is going to go that way unfortunately... I hate to bash on cvts because on paper they're the best transmission ever... Best between performance fuel economy durability least to maintain and repair.... But in reality that's not the case and unfortunately no company is there yet... But give them all enough time and it will come to be... What about when automatics first came out in the '90s? I'm sure people were skeptical of them back then and now look how great they are so just got to give them some time but until then I'm going to be very careful haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does the ioniq have a dual clutch? That'd be cool to test. Fuel economy and performance.... "Sporty economy" lol.

Plus you get the great warranty as someone else mentioned. Have you test driven one yet? I've only driven the Kia optima with the dual clutch and it was pretty fun... Automated manual transmission. I can take my foot off the brake and sit at stop lights then all of a sudden mash the gas and I was gone
    Last edited by MirageRally; 11-11-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What about when automatics first came out in the '90s? I'm sure people were skeptical of them back then and now look how great they are so just got to give them some time but until then I'm going to be very careful haha.
    90's? Oh, dear boy. Here, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission
    Simplify and add lightness.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-11-2020),Pryme (11-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks haha. I was born in 96 so my knowledge is very limited on things lol. But my main point is automatics were looked down on, same now with cvts... But they will get better... Just gotta give manufacturers time to perfect them.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 11-11-2020 at 12:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    90's? Oh, dear boy. Here, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission
    Lmao!!!!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks haha. I was born in 96 so my knowledge is very limited on things lol. But my main point is automatics were looked down on, same now with cvts... But they will get better... Just gotta give manufacturers time to perfect them.
    CVTs are great. My gripe with them is that they have no soul. They have to work all kinds of magic with the computer to make it behave more like a traditional geared transmission because NOBODY likes how they feel when they're programmed "naturally" as they should be.

The Ioniq does have a dual clutch automatic, however. I need to go find one to drive and see what that's all about.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    ... I would need to get a special plug which would increase my electric bill... Not by much but enough for me to notice.
    There is NO SPECIAL PLUG needed.

Your gasoline bill would decrease far more than your electric bill would increase.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Japanese built vs american made toyota?
    It matters very little. Toyota duplicates the build techniques from Japan to the U.S. as best they can. And ... some of the Camrys come from Japan also. It's a capacity issue. They have 2 lines in Kentucky. Both lines slam out Camrys. About every 3rd car on that line is either a Sienna, or maybe they've gone back to the Venza. 2 Lines. 1 for Camry and Sienna. 1 for Camry and maybe Venza now (it was Solara when I was there).

Even with those 2 lines, they still import some Camrys from Japan ... at least when I was there they did. My own Camry was built in Japan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Pryme (11-11-2020)