Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Ioniq

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hyundai Ioniq

So I've been casually looking at options if gas skyrockets in the next year or so.(green energy costs a lot of money, gas prices, electricity, fossil fuels to heat your home) all will likely go up.

If this does happen, driving my Tundra will be less than fun getting 15.6mpg avg around town.

I would probably sell it and buy something else and the Hyundai Ioniq sure looks good! 21k new for the blue which gets 58mpg EPA and I bet even more driven right, 10yr/100k warranty, lifetime warranty on the battery for orig owner and a big enough hatch to fit a stroller and other gear!

I know my tundra would bring in more than that so I could buy the Ioniq outright and have a lot leftover to save.

I though someone on here had one? Anyone have experience with one?

Last edited by Pryme; 11-10-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I have experience with Toyota (as a design engineer) and Hyundai (as a design engineer). In my opinion most or all Hyundai-Kia vehicles are an attempt at a copy of a Toyota vehicle, except not as good, and a lot ****tier to boot. My personal feeling is, why buy a Hyundai-Kia if Toyota exists? However, Hyundai-Kia is still better than most of the Euro trash these days. So, don't get me wrong, one could do worse than a Hyundai-Kia.

The last point is, unless you're in a bad spot financially with your Tundra, a pick-up truck is the most useful tool. Although, these days I'm wondering if I couldn't just tow my cute little utility trailer around, even with the Mirage, and get about as much use out of that combo as I would a pick-up truck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I have experience with Toyota (as a design engineer) and Hyundai (as a design engineer). In my opinion most or all Hyundai-Kia vehicles are an attempt at a copy of a Toyota vehicle, except not as good, and a lot ****tier to boot. My personal feeling is, why buy a Hyundai-Kia if Toyota exists? However, Hyundai-Kia is still better than most of the Euro trash these days. So, don't get me wrong, one could do worse than a Hyundai-Kia.

The last point is, unless you're in a bad spot financially with your Tundra, a pick-up truck is the most useful tool. Although, these days I'm wondering if I couldn't just tow my cute little utility trailer around, even with the Mirage, and get about as much use out of that combo as I would a pick-up truck.
    I own the truck outright and its low mileage and mint condition so private party value is still like 34-35k.
    But if gas goes to 4+ a gallon I'm going to be super annoyed filling up the truck.

I was looking at the Prius too but ioniq looks better imo and has a lifetime warranty on the battery. It's also a few thousand less. I like toyota but won't blindly buy one if something else seems better.

I bought a Sedona van recently over the sienna because the sedona performed better and had batter features and was 6k less with a better warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    So I've been casually looking at options if gas skyrockets in the next year or so.(green energy costs a lot of money, gas prices, electricity, fossil fuels to heat your home) all will likely go up.

If this does happen, driving my Tundra will be less than fun getting 15.6mpg avg around town.

I would probably sell it and buy something else and the Hyundai Ioniq sure looks good! 21k new for the blue which gets 58mpg EPA and I bet even more driven right, 10yr/100k warranty, lifetime warranty on the battery for orig owner and a big enough hatch to fit a stroller and other gear!

I know my tundra would bring in more than that so I could buy the Ioniq outright and have a lot leftover to save.

I'm interested in those as well. If I were to buy one today, I'd probably go with the plug in version and drive mostly using electric since I don't have a long commute.

Scotty, is that you? You're too late, Pryme already has a kia lol
    Why buy one over a toyota? Aren't they cheaper and have a longer warranty? I almost dumped the ol' lady when I found out she owned a 15' optima. Thought they were stupid korean junk. They've come a long ways since the early 2000's. Mind you she got rid of it after 4 problem free years. Her 2020 Sorento has been alright except for the sunroof not wanting to close on it's own this summer. Still haven't gotten that dealt with. I'll pull the fuse lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Back when I was thinking about replacing the Mirage with something newish, a slightly used Ioniq appealed to me greatly! But, then I remembered that I don't drive my cars that much, and it would be silly to incur another car payment and higher insurance just to have a nicer car in the driveway that gets an easy 60 mpg.

But, if you drive a lot... The Ioniq makes a lot of sense!

And my company has a 2017 Kia Rio and 2017 Hyundai Accent as drivers ed cars. No complaints with either. Hyundai/Kia has come a long way in the past 20 years. Anybody remember the disaster that was the 1987 Hyundai Excel?

They aren't quite at Toyota's level of quality, but they aren't at that price, either.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I admit to them being better than most Euro cars. But I was down in the trenches with both OEMs. I saw everything laid bare behind the curtains. There's a reason Toyota cars are more expensive and hold their values MUCH better than Hyundai-Kia. Would I own a Hyundai-Kia? Yes, under the right circumstances. Certainly before many European brands.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post

After my Mirage l am getting a Prius bc they are really good mpg cars...plus l don't care about styling anymore...wanted a 2014 Camry V6 but with gas prices l want more mpg than what l have and a Prius would fill that spot. l wouldn't get a new one bc of me being old in my mind and want less safety tech, but then l have to wonder about if the battery and hybrid system are in good order?...better take one to my mechanic before anything else.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MirageRally - I suggest a Prius Prime. Toyota took a good hard look at the Chevy Volt (the best concept for electric / hybrid vehicles that exists in my opinion), and voila the Prius Prime was born. You can bet Toyota tore at least one Chevy Volt down to the bare bones and studied everything. When I was at Toyota, we took a fresh brand new Acura MDX off the dealer lot (rented it for a couple weeks). We tore it down to just a whitebody, threw it back together and gave it back to the dealer. Happens all the time ... in Detroit anyway.

If, one has very short local commutes, the Prius Prime (and Chevy Volt) can't be beat, at least for mpg. Guys on the Volt forums have to put Sta-Bil in their gas because they refuel so infrequently. Last I checked, some were in the thousands of mpg. Would work well for me where I live. But I chose the inexpensive car with high fuel mileage route. Lowest TCO route.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MirageRally - I suggest a Prius Prime. Toyota took a good hard look at the Chevy Volt (the best concept for electric / hybrid vehicles that exists in my opinion), and voila the Prius Prime was born. You can bet Toyota tore at least one Chevy Volt down to the bare bones and studied everything. When I was at Toyota, we took a fresh brand new Acura MDX off the dealer lot (rented it for a couple weeks). We tore it down to just a whitebody, threw it back together and gave it back to the dealer. Happens all the time ... in Detroit anyway.

If, one has very short local commutes, the Prius Prime (and Chevy Volt) can't be beat, at least for mpg. Guys on the Volt forums have to put Sta-Bil in their gas because they refuel so infrequently. Last I checked, some were in the thousands of mpg. Would work well for me where I live. But I chose the inexpensive car with high fuel mileage route. Lowest TCO route.
    Okay so what things can you point out between a toyota and Korean car that sets them apart?

My actual work commute is short, only 8mi each way so with a plug in I could probably never use gasoline but I also would have to get a special plug wired in wouldnt I? It would probably take forever to charge on 110v

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Prius is not worth it vs mirage. At over $12k extra you will never save enough in gas to recoup the cost.

Ioniq hybrid in general is more interesting. It is significantly cheaper than Prius and gets more MPG. Once again if you barely put 5k on per year it isn't worth it. It depends on how many hybrid rebates, government tax credits, and employer rebates you can get combined with how much you expect to drive. I have heard nothing but good things about new Kias/Hyundais.

Pros of the Ioniq vs both Mirage and Prius: No cvt, more HP, 12 Gallon fuel tank, better MPG, larger more robust wheels, assembled in Korea vs Thailand/Japan.

In general I don't think an all electric car will ever save you money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)