Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What if there were a Mirage coupe?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I've never been in a smart fortwo, Toyota iQ, or even a Fiat 500. I like the fact that Mirage is larger, & the 5-speed manual still gets better mpg.

Someone once shared a pic of the Mirage stretched into a small wagon. I liked that better! It reminded me of my first car (1978 Honda Civic Wagon, 63 hp), except a Mirage wagon would have more hp and get better mpg!

I remember the 1978 Honda Civic Wagon still had a hand choke on the dash.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    No, no, no... A plain, boring jacked-up 4-door FWD CUV that gets 35 mpg and is indistinguishable from the CUV offerings from 5 other companies.
    What CUV gets 35mpg? I thought they all hovered at 30.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    What CUV gets 35mpg? I thought they all hovered at 30.
    Guess you aren’t talking hybrid?

Speaking of hybrids don’t forget the Outlander hybrid. Maybe Mitsubishi will hybrid the Eclipse Cross someday.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

30 MPG? Oh. I was just pulling a number out of my... hat. I really have next to zero interest/knowledge of CUV's. Honestly, the SUV/CUV craze is slowly extinguishing my life-long interest in cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (11-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Maybe Mitsubishi will hybrid the Eclipse Cross someday.
    Does a PHEV Eclipse Cross count? lol

Wagons need to come back again. I know its a bit off topic but man, somedays, when im not paying attention, these do look all the same.
    Name:  cuuvvv.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  78.1 KB

ANYWAYS, if that Mirage Coupe had an awd system and a forced induction engine to compete against Toyota's Yaris GR...I think that would definitely bring in some folks to purchase a Mirage too....maybe? (highly doubful, haha)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-12-2020),MetroMPG (11-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Isn’t the Mirage passenger compartment / cage high strength steel? Would that make modifying more difficult?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It never ceases to amaze me how far off topic this forum gets and how quickly. I've literally given thought to abandoning this forum for it because it happens so often.

Back to the show.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Isn’t the Mirage passenger compartment / cage high strength steel? Would that make modifying more difficult?
    Interesting thought. I'd not considered that. (and people who build Frankenstein projects like this often don't)

Here's a good read: https://www.todaysmotorvehicles.com/...ng-hard-steel/

If I were going to do this "shortening a Mirage" project, I'd do it with plain a plain ol' gas MIG welder. I don't have one yet, but I've used them and they're small and cheap enough that I could own it and have enough space for it in my garage.

Wherever there are "frame rails" or reinforcements, like under the car... probably in the roof... and maybe even in the sides somewhere, I'd approach it like this: Overlap the frame rails by a few inches and spot weld them together A LOT. Like maybe every square inch. (and when you do that, skip around so that you're not heating one area too much at once) That in itself would probably be sufficient. But, with something like this, I like to "over-build" due to the lack of "engineering" involved. So, then I'd take a section of U-channel or a couple pieces of angle steel, and overlap that whole joint by about 6" on either side, and weld that in solidly. Then I'd feel pretty comfortable with the joint.

For the floorboard, I'd overlap it and tightly spot weld that, too. Body panels... depending on the situation, I'd probably do the same. Since there's going to be a "blend line" and the whole back of the car tapers to being narrower and shorter at the back... Could overlap the front sheet metal over the back, spot weld, and use filler to smooth the joint.

Of course, the more I think about this, the less likely I am to do it. But, it would be a neat and pointless project. Call it "art".

When you grew up driving cars from the 70's, and you wouldn't hesitate to drive something like a Triumph Spitfire, which was initially designed in about 1962... you don't worry too much about the "modern structural safety" of a project like this. There's going to be a lot less crumple zone between you and the car behind you. Drive accordingly! Just as you should in any car of this shape.
    Simplify and add lightness.

It never ceases to amaze me how far off topic this forum gets and how quickly. I've literally given thought to abandoning this forum for it because it happens so often.
    Don't leave! That would sure suck. I'd prefer if you call it out (flag the post so mods/admins see it) before it gets to the point that you throw in the towel. I understand if lounge-y threads go OT. Technical threads, less OK with that.

/OT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-12-2020),Loren (11-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Back to the show.
    IMO, it gives character, but to each his own.

Partially because I am usually the one who derails threads. :')