Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if there were a Mirage coupe?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

What if there were a Mirage coupe?

Okay, so most of you know I'm a bit of a lightweight vehicle nut. That's what drew me to the Mirage in the first place. And I've shaved around a hundred pounds of of my Mirage with various modifications, getting the weight as low as 1950 pounds without sacrificing any creature comforts. (unless the back seat and rear wiper count)

I sometimes wonder at the things I could do with this car if I still have it at the point that I consider it "depreciated" (it's down to around $4k already).

A long time ago, I did some design exercises trying to cut the back of the car down into an El Mirage, or Mirage-ute. It didn't work. The body lines just don't lend themselves to a "truck" design. At least not one that pleased my eye.

Tonight, I tried this. It wouldn't be as easy as it looks because the back of the roof line slopes down a lot, and the car is also narrower at the rear. So, there would be some "massaging" required to get it all to work. But... depending on how finicky a person was about "perfection", it could work. I don't think it looks any goofier than a Smart, or an iQ.

Melding the rear doors into the rear quarter panel is what makes it work. You keep the stock body lines with just minor strangeness where the tail lights are.

Name:  What_If.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  55.6 KB

Cutting out 16-18" in the middle would reduce the weight by around 10% or so. That would get it well below 1800 pounds. Still with mostly complete interior and all accessories!

Of course, the part that's getting cut out would be the fuel tank area... that would present a challenge. But, otherwise... the floor pan where the rear subframe attaches could be moved forward making the suspension and all a non-issue. Install a small fuel cell in the spare tire well. Shorten and splice wiring and brake lines.

It could work! Who's crazy enough to do it?

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also adding to the simplicity: No cutting/fitting glass, and no messing with door latches, hinges or handles.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    AFAIK it already exists:

Name:  external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
Views: 481
Size:  34.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    AFAIK it already exists:
    Just put that drivetrain in the Mirage:

See GT Wish List

Just noticed that was a few days shy of five years ago.

Wish lists are fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha! Wow. It actually looks interesting. Loren, your photoshop skills are pretty decent too! lol. But it definitely looks close to Scion's iQ. Personally, for me, I'd opt for the 'hatchback' look to it. I wonder if if a slightly longer wheel base has anything to do (or even improve) the body's rigidity? I have no clue haha but the 'sportier hatchback' look is what I would love for a 2-door Mirage. Mitsubishi made the Mirage Cyborg but they never made it here to the States. Below is just a super quick comparison with the 3 cars; a Civic HB, Mirage hatchback, 2014+ Mirage.

I'm still amazed that the Mirage comes out shorter than the Civic actually. haha. I think if it was a 'hatchback', it'd definitely look more interesting. I think eventually, someone will try it especially since these are just getting pretty cheap. And I'm assuming someone is going to be curious enough to try it. Still, pretty interesting!

Name:  ragggge.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  47.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the Smart had a proper manual transmission and got significantly better gas mileage, I would agree that "it exists".

You could almost say the same for the iQ. But, it doesn't have a proper manual transmission (in the US) or get the gas mileage that it should get, either.

But, yeah... probably would be easier to get an iQ and swap in a Euro manual transmission and put it on a diet. (which is an idea I've had since it was the iQ was first announced as being CVT-only in the US)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    Loren, your photoshop skills are pretty decent too!
    Thanks, this was just a quick hack, I didn't spend time on cleaning it up much. I used to do a lot of graphic design work for websites and advertising, and got reasonably good with Photoshop.

What if there were a Mirage coupe?
    I know the actual answer to this one!

A: it would be cancelled by corporate and replaced by a Mirage CUV.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-11-2020),Loren (11-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    A: it would be cancelled by corporate and replaced by a Mirage CUV.
    So...a 2 door CUV, eh? that's a new one! Haha!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

No, no, no... A plain, boring jacked-up 4-door FWD CUV that gets 35 mpg and is indistinguishable from the CUV offerings from 5 other companies.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-11-2020)