Thread: New to me G4 maintenance

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New to me G4 maintenance

I just picked up a 2017 G4 ES with 30k miles from the original owner. Stopped by the dealer and picked up a new air filter and cabin filter and after pulling out the old ones I was glad I did. Both filters that came out were OEM so who knows if they'd ever been changed.

Also changed oil and did 2 coats of fluid film to try and protect the underside. One major thing I knock the mirage for is how quickly they rust. It looks like a 6-8 year old car underneath, not 3 years old like it really is. But nothing's perfect so the fluid film will hopefully help.

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jibles For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    I just picked up a 2017 G4 ES with 30k miles from the original owner. Stopped by the dealer and picked up a new air filter and cabin filter and after pulling out the old ones I was glad I did. Both filters that came out were OEM so who knows if they'd ever been changed.

Also changed oil and did 2 coats of fluid film to try and protect the underside. One major thing I knock the mirage for is how quickly they rust. It looks like a 6-8 year old car underneath, not 3 years old like it really is. But nothing's perfect so the fluid film will hopefully help.
    It was good that you replaced those filters. It was definitely time.

I check my engine air filter during every oil change. I replaced my engine air filter @ 30,000 miles, but it didn't look that dirty.

I am in the habit of checking my cabin air filter when I change engine oil, too. If it doesn't look that dirty, I just blow it out some with my air compressor. When it's time, I replace it. Where you park your car (under certain types of trees) can make a difference. A Mirage cabin air filter is quite small. It doesn't take much to fill it up.

I had my Mirage professionally undercoated with oil this past summer for the first time. Initial cost was a bit high, but inspection/reapplications are $20-80/year. I was told that at least. I hope it makes a difference? I feel the powertrain may outlast the body otherwise.

Do you always buy your filters from a dealer?

Wix makes decent looking filters. The engine air filter looks similar to the oem. I use cheapo white box engine air filters for the work cars and you can tell they're cheap, far less pleats and they need to be replaced far more often. Not worth cheaping out there but it's not my call....
    I use cheapo cabin air filters too but I don't think they're as critical.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wix makes decent looking filters. The engine air filter looks similar to the oem. I use cheapo white box engine air filters for the work cars and you can tell they're cheap, far less pleats and they need to be replaced far more often. Not worth cheaping out there but it's not my call....
    I use cheapo cabin air filters too but I don't think they're as critical.
    I have done the same. I use a Wix engine air filter (looks very well made), & buy the cheapest cabin air filters I can find. Some cabin air filters are really over priced in my mind.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't usually buy filters at the dealer but I was already there buying weathertech mats. They sell them at the same price as weathertech without the shipping. Usually I would just buy fram stuff at walmart but they don't carry mirage parts at my local walmart. But the dealer filters were only $20 more total than I would expect to pay for Fram stuff.

The air filter is a Denso, as was the one that came out (same part number). The cabin filter is about as cheap as it gets. Next time I'll order that one off rockauto.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll have to take a peak at the under carriage on mine again. It wasn't "too" bad from what I remember when I last looked at it in the summer. I think it was mainly just surface rust. But I'll have to take pics of it just for record, haha.

During the winters here, at the self service car wash, I spend a good minute just spraying the undercarriage too. I washed my Mirage bi-weekly but it really depends how 'dirty' it gets from the slush and salt.

My filters looked sorta like that after i replaced mine after 50,000 or so miles too. I bought the cabin filter and air filter for about $22 shipped on amazon. Still works as they should!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    I don't usually buy filters at the dealer but I was already there buying weathertech mats. They sell them at the same price as weathertech without the shipping. Usually I would just buy fram stuff at walmart but they don't carry mirage parts at my local walmart. But the dealer filters were only $20 more total than I would expect to pay for Fram stuff.

The air filter is a Denso, as was the one that came out (same part number). The cabin filter is about as cheap as it gets. Next time I'll order that one off rockauto.
    It's nice that your dealership offer the WeatherTech mats without shipping costs. Shipping does add a chunk of money to those. I ordered the front mats for my Forester & Mirage at the same time to save little on shipping them separately. It's the first time I have bought them, & they are expensive. I think they are good investment, especially if you live where it snows.

The Fram XG7317 (Ultra Synthetic/20,000 mile filter) & TG7317 (Tough Guard/15,000 mile filter) are good oil filters. I wouldn't leave any oil filter on my vehicles for that long, but they are very good quality for the price. Walmart has been good about stocking oil filters in my area, but engine/cabin air filters is another story.

Thanks for sharing!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup I almost always go with the Fram Ultra, which as you mentioned is the XG7317 in this case. I've seen so many of them cut open after lots of miles and still looking good that it's a no brainer for me. I also poured in 3 quarts of Amsoil XL I had left over from buying a case for my last mirage.