Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Volt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I keep my eyes peeled for an ELR. Volt underpinnings wrapped in one of the sexiest, design on paper straight to production cars I have ever seen.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I don't know a lot about the Bolt.
    What would happen if suddenly I had to go out of town...a couple states away?
    Battery technology and commercial charging infrastructure have improved to the point that range limitations in an EV are not a factor for 99% of daily driving situations. That's why the Bolt replaced the Volt...and why hybrids will eventually disappear.

A new Bolt can go 259 miles on a single charge. If you need to go further than that in 1 day, a 30 minute stop at a DC fast charging station will add 100 miles of range. For comparison, a Tesla can go up to 400 miles on a charge. 20 minutes at a Tesla supercharging station can add 200 miles of range.

People drive EVs on 1,000+ mile trips all the time. You just have to plan your trip to make sure there are charging stations along your route. An extended trip with an EV may take a little longer, but you can drive cost-to-coast without pumping a drop of gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Battery technology and commercial charging infrastructure have improved to the point that range limitations in an EV are not a factor for 99% of daily driving situations.
    That is some smoky information. Daily driving is some factor, like 95% of the time, less than 40 miles. Hence why the Volt was designed to do ~40 miles electric only. Therefore the "infrastructure" for your said "daily driving situations" is covered by pre-existing homes / apartments. And the Volt had most likely the shortest EV only range. But that was fine because of the balance of its powertrain. So your statement has no real merit to it. And hence why the Volt was the best hybrid concept.

That's why the Bolt replaced the Volt.
    That is not a fact. In fact I hazard to guess that is nowhere near the reason. That's just your thinking. I'm not saying your thinking is no good. However, corporate vehicle decisions are VERY complex. I would guess what the real reason *may* be, but I would just be guessing and further muddying the waters.

A new Bolt can go 259 miles on a single charge. If you need to go further than that in 1 day, a 30 minute stop at a DC fast charging station will add 100 miles of range.
    So if I needed to get to my sister's house quickly, which is 612 miles away, I'd have to
    • Drive for less than 259 miles, to leave range to HUNT FOR SOME PLACE TO CHARGE, stop for 30 minutes.
    • Drive less than 100 miles to allow some range to HUNT FOR SOME PLACE TO CHARGE, stop for 30 minutes,
    • Drive less than 100 miles to allow some range to HUNT FOR SOME PLACE TO CHARGE, stop for 30 minutes,
    • Drive for greater than 53 miles due to all the charge station hunting. Drag out a cord at my sister's house and let my car charge for probably 8 hours.

... a Tesla can go up to 400 miles on a charge. 20 minutes at a Tesla supercharging station can add 200 miles of range.
    Same issue as above, just different math.

People drive EVs on 1,000+ mile trips all the time. You just have to plan your trip to make sure there are charging stations along your route. An extended trip with an EV may take a little longer, but you can drive cost-to-coast without pumping a drop of gas.
    Qualify "all the time." I seriously doubt the actuality is anything similar to all the time. My guess is, a fairly sizeable percentage of EV owners do a long out of range trip, determine it is a PITA, and subsequently use a gas vehicle on long road trips. But I DO NOT KNOW THAT. That is my guess, if EV owners told the truth.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

daleWV (11-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

So if I needed to get to my sister's house quickly, which is 612 miles away, I'd have to
    • Drive for less than 259 miles, to leave range to HUNT FOR SOME PLACE TO CHARGE, stop for 30 minutes.
    • Drive for greater than 53 miles due to all the charge station hunting. Drag out a cord at my sister's house and let my car charge for probably 8 hours.

Imagine most everyone doing that for Thanksgiving. What would that look like when lots of people are wanting to do the same thing at the same time?

I thought electric cars were for people that have too much money & no place to go!

I have too have fa
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 04:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not against them either. Matter of fact, I think they're really cool. But they're just not quite there yet. But is EXACTLY WHY I think the Volt was so magnanimous. Think of it, if 95% of my driving is around town (and it is), every time, or most every time when I'm done with my Volt at the end of the day, I plug it in. 240V or 120V. Doesn't matter. The 120V will take longer, but in my case, I'm a normal Shrek. It can charge up from sun down to sun up. No rush. I can do that so much that I may have to add Sta-Bil to the gas.

Yet, if I have an emergency, and need to drive 1,200 miles, I can do it non-stop in a Volt (or Prius). At this time in our electric infrastructure, this is the better way. Like any good boy scout, a back up plan is the way to go. Volt and Prius have it. Leaf and Tesla do not.

Also, I saw a string of Tata SuperChargers somewhere (I forget where I was, out west somewhere on vacation maybe). The majority were shown out of order. A few were not. However, there was not one car around. It was like a ghost town. So it made no difference how many weren't working.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Imagine most everyone doing that for Thanksgiving. What would that look like when lots of people are wanting to do the same thing at the same time?

I thought electric cars were for people that have too much money & no place to go!
    It would be interesting if there was some kind of mandate saying that only EV owners could travel for Thanksgiving. It would be interesting to see the complications. Who knows ... maybe none. Maybe not enough EV owner's yet who combined would want to travel long distance for Thanksgiving. Dunno. I would expect it to be more like a cluster. Because those who did want to travel would be trying to find / borrow / rent EVs to travel.

The fact of the matter is, honestly, I could go buy, I don't know a whole chitload of Tata electric vehicles ... CASH. But I chose a Mirage. Something is very wrong with that, or something is very right. Either I'm some weirdo, or a Mirage is a helluva vehicle (I think both is likely). I want to thank Doug Decrapo for making that Mirage bashing video, because prior to that, I didn't know they existed or how great they actually are!

I'm with you. For me right now a volt seems like it'd be ideal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Derail time

Not really anything to do with a volt

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tata Tesla...

Another reason I wouldn't buy a Tata EV.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/consume...-tesla-model-3

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...la-reliability