Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chevrolet Volt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hate to be the devils advocate but
    " Coming in last in the Consumer Reports road test
    Scoring only 29 points, the 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage came in dead last in a recent overview of cars that did the best and the worst on the Consumer Reports road test. Considering the best car, the 2020 BMW 7 series, scored 99 points, you can see that there is quite a big difference between the winner and the loser. Consumer Reports noted that it is actually very rare for a car to score this low on a road test and that it was the worst car they had driven in years. based on the Consumer Reports road test, you may wind up wanting to just leave it where it’s parked.
    "

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/this-ca...rts-road-test/

I've heard lots of not great things about tesla's build quality but they are pretty cool cars otherwise. More of a novelty in my opinion. To be honest, I didn't think they'd be around this long.
    A 100k car scored better than a 10k dollar one??? No way, I can't believe it. /sarcasm. These auto journalists are a silly group.

That was in reply to 7milesout saying he wouldn't buy a tesla cause consumer reports says they suck. Consumer reports' opinion along with most other car reviewers is pretty meaningless to me.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That was in reply to 7milesout saying he wouldn't buy a tesla cause consumer reports says they suck. Consumer reports' opinion along with most other car reviewers is pretty meaningless to me.
    To be accurate, I said THAT WAS ANOTHER REASON I wouldn't buy a Tata. But I agree with what's being said here about CR. Originally, CR had intended to inform potential consumers regarding what are better buys versus poorer buys. I can't see how a person could go wrong with a Mirage because the value is large and the dependability is better than average. It has 2 major disadvantages, both of which are a result of the vehicle's intrinsic value. 1. It is very small, and 2. it is very slow.

The bigger the vehicle, the more expensive it will be, from the material alone. The faster it is, the more expensive the engine will be. So the #1 and #2 stated are inherently 2 factors that keep the cost low.

When I was at Hyundai-Kia, I found it completely mysterious how when we would have J.D. Power folk around a lot, and H-K would be spending GOBS of money to J.D. Power for this that and the other, suddenly the Initial Quality values would take a big positive jump. It was just amazing how those Initial Quality numbers would jump, even though the plant was cranking out the same junk it did previous to the new ratings ... hmmmmm. Funny how that happens.

Consumer Reports has likely gone down that same path.

The only way one could go wrong with buying a Mirage is if they could only have 1 vehicle, for a family of 7, and intended to use it to tow their camper to family weekends at the drag strip, while racing the Sportsman ET class with their Mirage. In that case, the Mirage was a poor choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

When I was at Hyundai-Kia, I found it completely mysterious how when we would have J.D. Power folk around a lot, and H-K would be spending GOBS of money to J.D. Power for this that and the other, suddenly the Initial Quality values would take a big positive jump. It was just amazing how those Initial Quality numbers would jump, even though the plant was cranking out the same junk it did previous to the new ratings ... hmmmmm. Funny how that happens.

Consumer Reports has likely gone down that same path.

The only way one could go wrong with buying a Mirage is if they could only have 1 vehicle, for a family of 7, and intended to use it to tow their camper to family weekends at the drag strip, while racing the Sportsman ET class with their Mirage. In that case, the Mirage was a poor choice.
    JD Power & Associates has been used to push GM products for years. Thus, I have never valued their opinion on anything. I used to value Consumer Reports, but that was decades ago.

As long as it is kept at an affordable price point, a Mirage does some things extremely well. It's not going to tow your camper to the your campsite, but the vehicle that will do that won't get 40-50 mpg either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I didn't do a great job explaining how an EV works on a long trip. You don't have to stop every 100 miles. You just have to plan your stops ahead of time and space them out according to the range capacity of your EV's battery.
    I didn't consider the fact that EV vehicles probably have some kind of database and map function to route to charging stations. So the hunt may not be much of a hunt, more of just a milestone maybe.

Maybe EV vehicles should come with a pole sticking up in the air and with a curved conductor on top. And then all streets and interstates can have those electrified wire meshes added. Kind of like old school bumper cars, the way they worked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I didn't consider the fact that EV vehicles probably have some kind of database and map function to route to charging stations. So the hunt may not be much of a hunt, more of just a milestone maybe.

Maybe EV vehicles should come with a pole sticking up in the air and with a curved conductor on top. And then all streets and interstates can have those electrified wire meshes added. Kind of like old school bumper cars, the way they worked.
    Does the database insure the charging stations are working? Can you reserve one for when you arrive?

Imagine having to wait in line to charge you car some day!

That's be handy. I remember seeing buses around the city here with poles going up to power lines. Turns out they were trolley buses that were used here from 1939-2009.

Attachment 19815

No need for crazy long range batteries if most major roads are setup to power cars? Sounds like a good idea but there gotta be a reason or thousand why I've never heard of it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Starting to sound like a big slot car track idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

That might be less intrusive. Pitter patter, make it happpen.

Mirage videos: