Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Throttle Controller

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Why not just mash the gas pedal harder? Lots cheaper and no funny electronics to worry about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's the delay when you mash the throttle that people don't like. If it can cut the lag time in half when I mash the throttle down then I'm happy... Plus if something is wrong with the car then I will unplug it. And paying $75 is better than $250.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-22-2020),MacClyver (11-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You might not mind it Eggman, but I find it maddening.

I even tried prerevving to like 1300 just before starting to letting the clutch out but my pedal technique is hardwired at this point. Unless I was intently thinking about doing that I never could. I can't even remember the last time I stalled a Metro, but I think I was at about 4 stalls for the two months I was driving my Mirage this year.

Long story short, I have things I'd rather drive so it gets to sit out most of the year. I was even toying with the idea of leaving it parked next year entirely now that I'm driving my awesomely green car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How about when you're trying to get up the hill and you got to downshift to a lower gear...just to have that delay when getting up the hill... That delay gets me pretty aggravated some days. I just want to hit the gas and the throttle go and I'm off. We'll see what this electronic throttle limited does... If it improves it great...if it doesn't....then I return it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bet that's aggravating too. That wasn't so much my problem, pretty flat here , I take a moment to get good rev matches anyway though.

I have a low tolerance for "funny electronics" thinking they want to outdo me. If I need to think one step ahead of it to compensate for it doing it's own thing something is messed up. If I press the pedal 13% ASAP the butterfly motor needs to have it at 13% flow., if 75% likewise ASAP get it adjusted to 75%. Simple programming gone wrong, unless the lag is due to the ECU having a dearth of processing power then they should have spent the $5 extra on better silicon...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I live it's all flat for the township but get anywhere outside of that and it's hills all day. When I was driving yesterday I had a downshift twice and when I hit the pedal it took at least 30 seconds or more to finally get going and I was still losing speed going up the hill in 3rd... So this throttle limiter will probably be better and will hopefully eliminate all that lag.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Bet that's aggravating too. That wasn't so much my problem, pretty flat here , I take a moment to get good rev matches anyway though.

I have a low tolerance for "funny electronics" thinking they want to outdo me. If I need to think one step ahead of it to compensate for it doing it's own thing something is messed up. If I press the pedal 13% ASAP the butterfly motor needs to have it at 13% flow., if 75% likewise ASAP get it adjusted to 75%. Simple programming gone wrong, unless the lag is due to the ECU having a dearth of processing power then they should have spent the $5 extra on better silicon...
    That's pretty much what automatics do: they try to outthink you and do the best they can for efficiency, power and comfort... Some automatics are great and make it feel almost like a manual...as soon as you hit the gas they down shift like lightning and you're off. Other automatics are just plain terrible and should be swapped for a manual bc the lag is so bad you're sitting there thinking what you could do in the spare time this is all from an enthusiast point of view too and just opinion. ​ For most people they could care less and that's fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I for one like my revs to match my pedal pressure, no lag. This does that and then some. Simple.
    (blank signature)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Not sure if the discussion is about a modestly powered three-cylinder engine or throttle response (lag?)

If it’s about 78hp, this won’t generate any more horse powers. Only stickers will help haha.

If it’s about a delay in throttle response I don’t see how this will help any more than mashing the gas pedal harder and faster. It’s an electronic device that responds to the gas pedal input and sends another signal to the ECU. This device will have its own inherent delay - it might not be noticeable but it is there. It also cannot predict how the driver presses the gas pedal. Neither can it predict road conditions (hills) like a skilled driver can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not sure if the discussion is about a modestly powered three-cylinder engine or throttle response (lag?)

If it’s about 78hp, this won’t generate any more horse powers. Only stickers will help haha.

If it’s about a delay in throttle response I don’t see how this will help any more than mashing the gas pedal harder and faster. It’s an electronic device that responds to the gas pedal input and sends another signal to the ECU. This device will have its own inherent delay - it might not be noticeable but it is there. It also cannot predict how the driver presses the gas pedal. Neither can it predict road conditions (hills) like a skilled driver can.
    I like not having to mash my pedal. I throughly understand how this works.

(blank signature)