Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 goals: no more netflix, no more Mirage car payments

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2021 goals: no more netflix, no more Mirage car payments

I have always wanted to write a general "blurb" about my experiences driving my Mirage, after almost 7 years now. I'm at month 78 of my 84 month payment plan. Almost done with car payments finally in short.

Overall, my 2014 Mirage ES base hatchback manual has been a pretty reliable commuter car. Love the gas mileage. And when I am in any bind on the road, I tell myself, "when you think you should be in third gear, go into second gear." The car has always complied, and is quite the piece of tech when you stand back a second and look at the Mirage as a modern car. I know that sounds cheesy. Only the odd time I think like that.

I haven't had a lot of issues with my car really. Evap leak around 100,000 km's; replaced my starter. Regular oil changes obviously, nothing fancy, just the regular motoroil they have at Ford.

Fuel economy has been the same since day 1 with my Mirage. 5.0 L/100 km's I'd say. Very good. I'm at 140,500 km's on the OD.

Usually I just drive pretty easy and simple with my little car. I honestly find it entertaining to drive. But I think people probably laugh here in truck country. I like my Mirage, it is honest. I like my thunder grey paint, even though there are some dents and scratches now. Mostly in the hatchback area, inside and out. Overall kinda cheap plastic, comes with dash rattles from the factory. But for an economy car, has held up very well, cars should come with paint sticks and next new car I get I will get 2 paint sticks. In case one dries up. My 2014 Mirage drives no better or worse than the used 2006 Audi A4 I test drove right before my Mirage.

Mirage's Pros: fuel economy, comfortable ride, has more pep than they say in most popular reviews.

To me the Mirage is way better than the reviews. Lol. A 2020 Lambo Urus wouldn't deal with snow blindness any better than my Mirage. The 3 cylinder is loud, so if you like that sort of thing, the Mirage is your cup of tea.

I think it's useful to know gear shifts, but overall kinda annoying, and diesel sounding, but sporting also. In general, you get tired of the econo box thing after almost 7 years. Or 17 years. Or if I'm not getting lucky... the next 27 years lol.

I would rather have a 2020 yellow Mercedes AWD turbo CVT (sorry Dirk). Probably partly because of the Mirage Forum member itschad, who went Mercedes after he sold his Mirage. He thought the Mirage was uncomfortable, and as I get older than 30 and now 38.. the Mirage isn't that comfy... and it is like 2 inches from the ground. For under $40 grand, a new yellow Mercedes station wagon can look like more money than it costs, makes good sense relative to the cost of new cars generally nowadays; and, like any good jewelry, looks more expensive than it is. A new yellow Mercedes A class hatch has everything I want, but the manual tranny. But I thought Chad would go for a Rover.

Cons: Mitsubishi Corporation and their sketchy dealership network. Cool they made airplanes, and they are Japan's premier brand.. You can see the difference quality makes, after years and years, inside and out, with a Mirage and you're parked next to some other cars, not naming names but some Fords at the Ford dealer.

But all Jaguars look good too, and I wouldn't trust a single one of their dealers in North America and Canada. And these days they must be closing shop and hurting. I see a lot of closed shops these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Sounds like your Mirage did it's job and now you are ready for a car that does a better job. Nothing wrong with that.

You are gonna miss that Mirage reliability, though. Bet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-17-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Sounds like your Mirage did it's job and now you are ready for a car that does a better job. Nothing wrong with that.

You are gonna miss that Mirage reliability, though. Bet.
    My Mirage has been a good and cheerful little commuter car. I really am not stuck on the lacklustre heater. Other cars would fare better to Canadian winter conditions, every element of the seasonal weather patterns, so to speak.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My Mirage has been a good and cheerful little commuter car. I really am not stuck on the lacklustre heater. Other cars would fare better to Canadian winter conditions, every element of the seasonal weather patterns, so to speak.
    I feel ya, man. Personally, I think I am more able to get past my Mirage's limitations because I only drive it when I am being PAID to drive it, and have three other cars to choose from when I don't have a need for what the car is good at.

I might well hate the little bugger if it were my only car!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-17-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I feel ya, man. Personally, I think I am more able to get past my Mirage's limitations because I only drive it when I am being PAID to drive it, and have three other cars to choose from when I don't have a need for what the car is good at.

I might well hate the little bugger if it were my only car!
    Yea my Mirage drives me nuts sometimes. I'm only dreaming of a new car but that is too much Price is Right lol. I took the Jeopardy test the other week and I think I bombed, even though I can do so well some nights.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Even if I suddenly became super rich I suspect there'd be a Mirage in my garage beside a McLaren, Tesla and perhaps an Escalade. Each has a role they excel at, and the Mirage IMO is untouchable in its class.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mercedes huh? Very comfortable seats and good engine performance?. What's not to love? Since I'm only 5'3" I'll easily take the mirage over anything else...and I don't see myself growing in the next couple years, only shrinking lol... I can park in a parking space and still have HALF the space left! I love the fact that it's small and very nimble for the size of it.. And the manual trans is growing on me a bit... Getting my downshifts and love how connected you are to the car. Plus $15 to go 330 miles is crazy to me...had a Subaru Outback that got 11mpg and cost $35 to fill up...
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah the Mirage is very utilitarian but be careful of Mercedes. They are complicated and over-engineered machines with so many sensors and those cars become an endless money pit when you get above 75k miles.

When you see that stupid check engine light come on every 2 or 3 months again and again that shet gets old REAL QUICK.

But i was interested in low fuel consumption and i got it but that gamble did not really pay off as you can see the prices of petrol in the last 5 years. I just saw $2.05 for 87 Octane yesterday

If i knew that .....I could have been driving a used MiniVan all this time. Now THERE is a comfortable vehicle. And if your wife throws you out or you lose your job you can live in it. =)

I think that is my next strategy after I sell the Mirage Im going to buy a used miniVan and then use my motorcycle as my main daily driver and then the MinVan when i need to carry multiple passengers or haul loads
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    had a Subaru Outback that got 11mpg and cost $35 to fill up...
    11 mpg?? Yikes! I had no idea the Subaru Outback was such a gas guzzler. That's worse than many pickup trucks.

What year was that Outback and what drivetrain did it have?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My mom had a new 2010 Forester no matter how you drove it in the winter 9-11 mpg. Didn't matter type of tires, driving habits, idling. On long highway commutes without wind and sun you'd be lucky to get 13-15 mpgs tops. Our first and last Subaru. Summer 18mpg tops. Was not impressed with the AWD system, and passenger seat was set lower.