Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Started driving my Mirage in 2nd gear from a stop

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I keep my car in neutral sometimes when it's a long light. And if I forget, I make a real vroom and don't go anywhere lol. Oh the joys of a manual tranny car. Lots of sound and fury and in a Mirage, not going anywhere that fast. Mirage has some sweet spots for torque.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mainly 2nd and 3rd have the power, the rest... Are for flat roads lol.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also isn't it fun rowing your own gears on back roads Dspace9? I love Downshifting and upshifting on country roads... Today l went though a lot of twisty, hilly roads and was actually laughing at how fun driving a manual really is. I felt like a rally racer driving today but when I looked at the speedometer I was barely doing the speed limit Fun but contained is the phrase I think... ... Plus getting out of the car and seeing how tiny it is makes me happy too for some reason.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Mirage is a fun car to drive for sure. Could be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. You're right that the Mirage has a higher quality look to the car. Time has showed me my Mirage is actually pretty reliable. Has a few quibbles but I see myself driving well past 160,000 km's warranty expiry...

My Mirage feels bigger than it is from the inside.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exactly, when you get out you realize "I was really driving that"? Ha feels a lot bigger in the inside then out. Also next time you're driving, see just how little The Mirage is for roads... Meaning the Mirage only takes up half of the lane... That's crazy! You could probably fit two side by side in one lane.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 11-21-2020 at 10:40 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Haha, was just talking about you, when you drove my car the one day did you start it in 3rd?
    Wow - I hope not! I thought we were rolling and not a dead stop, but I didn't commit it to memory. I'll have to go by your recollection.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, maybe not then...I don't know. I also remembered when I stalled in traffic while driving LOL. I don't think you noticed that part haha. I've gotten a lot better with the clutch since then.... Sometimes... Sometimes I think my car is an automatic and accidentally stall the car
    Last edited by MirageRally; 11-24-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Okay, maybe not then...I don't know. I also remembered when I stalled in traffic while driving LOL. I don't think you noticed that part haha. I've gotten a lot better with the clutch since then.... Sometimes... Sometimes I think my car is an automatic and accidentally stall the car
    I think it's a simple fact that anyone and everyone, who drives a daily driver commuter car, WITH a manual lol... is gonna stall the odd time. No matter how skilled the driver is, or if they are a race car driver at the local track, or whatever. Maybe an ambulance should be automatic because it has to have 0 mistakes. Manual that is never the case. Missing a gear can bust your motor lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think it's a simple fact that anyone and everyone, who drives a daily driver commuter car, WITH a manual lol... is gonna stall the odd time. No matter how skilled the driver is, or if they are a race car driver at the local track, or whatever. Maybe an ambulance should be automatic because it has to have 0 mistakes. Manual that is never the case. Missing a gear can bust your motor lol.
    This is also true as Loren had somebody who accidentally mis-shifted and blew the motor. There have been times where I almost mis-shifted but quickly looked down and realized what I was trying to do... Then put it back in the appropriate gear. Sometimes you can almost feel the grinding before it even happens too... For example I went from 5th to 3rd and immediately could feel the vibration of the gear before I quickly put it in 4th.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-24-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This is also true as Loren had somebody who accidentally mis-shifted and blew the motor. There have been times where I almost mis-shifted but quickly looked down and realized what I was trying to do... Then put it back in the appropriate gear. Sometimes you can almost feel the grinding before it even happens too... For example I went from 5th to 3rd and immediately could feel the vibration of the gear before I quickly put it in 4th.
    I have heard people say manual is dangerous, because a mistake crossing train tracks could be too costly for a shifting mistake. But all old cars were manual trannies at some point, I'm pretty sure only high end Olds had automatics in days of yore. And in the old days the actual automatics were weird. Autos in new cars are weird too. No longer up and down lever, now you go left and up and you can damage the engine in an automatic with the paddle shifters.