Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat upgrades

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Seat upgrades

So the wifes getting a Mirage again but, we remember from owning the mirage before how much we both hated the seats. Shes also been spoiled by a much more luxurious car for awhile now. So we're looking for heated leather seats or just seats at all that fit into the car.

Has anyone thrown much into the car. I'd love to see after market seats. Probably thinking Evo 8 recaros and then heaters.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    So the wifes getting a Mirage again but, we remember from owning the mirage before how much we both hated the seats. Shes also been spoiled by a much more luxurious car for awhile now. So we're looking for heated leather seats or just seats at all that fit into the car.

Has anyone thrown much into the car. I'd love to see after market seats. Probably thinking Evo 8 recaros and then heaters.
    Some high end padded seatcovers really do the trick honestly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-MITSUB...8d3c%7Ciid%3A1

Thinking about going for these and then recovering them and adding heaters.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-MITSUB...8d3c%7Ciid%3A1

Thinking about going for these and then recovering them and adding heaters.
    Whoa $400 dollars worth of comfort lol! I bought 2x $80 padded seat covers from Walmart and it worked out great. The OEM seats are positioned high, it's good for getting in and out but can be an awkward seating position for anyone over 6ft. I steer with my left hand on the bottom of the wheel. It took some getting used to.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Don't forget...Mirage front seats have integrated airbags.

If you swap in those non-airbag Recaro seats, your airbag light will be on constantly and who knows what (if any) airbags in your car will actually work if you are in a collision.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Don't forget...Mirage front seats have integrated airbags.

If you swap in those non-airbag Recaro seats, your airbag light will be on constantly and who knows what (if any) airbags in your car will actually work if you are in a collision.
    You could bypass the airbags with dummy airbag simulators. However, you would still have to figure out how to bypass the Driver's seat rail position sensor and the passenger's occupancy sensor.
    (blank signature)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-24-2020)

Use a resistor to bypass the airbag. That's all an airbag simulator is. Use the stock seat rails. Done.
    For seat covers, most are made for cars with seat airbags, if not cut a slit in them. Myself I wouldn't care, if you're in an accident bad enough for the bags to go off the functionality of side airbag will likely be the least of your worries.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lots of good advice going on here. We'd be re upholstering the seats and adding heat into them anyways. My question is paying safety each year. I don't want any bull**** with that. I'd be more than fine removing the gauge cluster and removing the warning lights to not see them but, when you get a car checked for safety now will a car fail with a srs airbag light on?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...when you get a car checked for safety now will a car fail with a srs airbag light on?
    According to online info, as long as your check engine and/or brake light is not on, you should pass. The SRS/Airbag light on won't cause you to fail a North Carolina safety inspection.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    According to online info, as long as your check engine and/or brake light is not on, you should pass. The SRS/Airbag light on won't cause you to fail a North Carolina safety inspection.
    Well that certainly makes me feel a lot better about possibly spending $1500 to get everything redone and installed. Just gotta wait for the wife to purchase the car before I start pulling all these triggers on upgrades. :P