Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Testing OEM block heater: how hot after how much time plugged in?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Trash can is a good idea.

I have an insulated and heated garage. First thing I did when I moved to my house was have a reznor furnace installed in the garage. Well worth the money, as long we don't forget to close the garage door when we go to work when it's -30c again.
    A group of African children performed at our city auditorium a few years ago. Some of them were interviewed during the performance. They were amazed that Americans actual built buildings for their vehicles. If you are coming from a large family living in a one or two room hut, a garage for your car may seem excessive. Then again, not owning a car may account for the lack of garages there, too.

I can't get both of my vehicles in my two car garage, because I have to much other junk. Even with a large storage shed, I can't fit everything in. It's my Mirage that gets left out the most!

A heated garage is nice to have. In our area, outdoor wood burning boilers are somewhat common. Some will run the heated water lines in their garage floor, & it does a great job of heating their house/garage.

I have never had an engine block heater on a vehicle before my Mirage. It wasn't very expensive & easy to add. I don't use mine that much, but you do notice a difference when it is used on those extremely cold days.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-25-2020),mohammad (01-05-2022)

My car barely fits. My garage is small, 20wx21 deep. The wife parks her sorento on one side and I have my teryx sideways along the front wall on the other side and my car barely fits in. Hopefully lumber prices start to come down so I can build a shed next year to get more junk out of the elements! My old rzr, lawn mowers, and kids bikes are out in the snow.

I've seen a few shops and garages with infloor heating. They were nice, no standing water on the floors, and no fan noise but you gotta be damn careful if drilling holes in the floor!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car barely fits. My garage is small, 20wx21 deep. The wife parks her sorento on one side and I have my teryx sideways along the front wall on the other side and my car barely fits in. Hopefully lumber prices start to come down so I can build a shed next year to get more junk out of the elements! My old rzr, lawn mowers, and kids bikes are out in the snow.

I've seen a few shops and garages with infloor heating. They were nice, no standing water on the floors, and no fan noise but you gotta be damn careful if drilling holes in the floor!
    A person can never have enough storage space, & whatever you have will be filled up. I already have a 12' x 17' storage shed, & I still can't find room for my Mirage.

Old 4WD compact tractor, 3 point hitch rototiller, 3 point hitch mower for trails, riding lawnmower, couple push mowers, walk behind rototiller, 2 Honda ATVs, Kawasaki Mule, multiple chainsaws, gas power log splitter, couple kayaks, & small square back canoe hanging from the rafters, whatever else I may store in a garage (like a load of wood pellet bags or whatever). I could probably sell my older 1985 Honda ATV, but it's more valuable to me than what I would get for it. I did sell my motorcycle a couple years ago. That's a start! I pretty much use everything I have. I have lots of old stuff bought used, & I take care of it best I can. An upgrade on an ATV this summer for me was buying a 1996 Honda 300 4x4, & those haven't been sold since 2000.

I splurged when I bought a new Mirage in 2017!

A larger garage or more storage would make room for a larger boat or add a camper to everything, but I don't need more stuff!

Hope lumber prices come down & you get that storage shed.

What was this thread about?

I forget, uhh hyundai veloster N ?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Trash can is a good idea.

I have an insulated and heated garage. First thing I did when I moved to my house was have a reznor furnace installed in the garage. Well worth the money, as long we don't forget to close the garage door when we go to work when it's -30c again.
    Shortly after moving in I discovered my garage is insulated under the fireproof stucco interior. That's great as I can safely tig/mig/oxy weld. Add a gas heater and insulate the roll up door and I have the start of a great shop. Unfortunately my health concerns have halted things in their tracks. I was going to A) try to turbocharge my 2014 Mirage (named Zero after the Japanese WWII fighter) AND B) build myself a turbo Zenair HD 650. Plus park Mirage 1 indoors.

Anyhow, I digress and thanks,

Good thing for auto save. I wrote my blurb at lunch, wandered away w/o hitting Post!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Shortly after moving in I discovered my garage is insulated under the fireproof stucco interior. That's great as I can safely tig/mig/oxy weld. Add a gas heater and insulate the roll up door and I have the start of a great shop. Unfortunately my health concerns have halted things in their tracks. I was going to A) try to turbocharge my 2014 Mirage (named Zero after the Japanese WWII fighter) AND B) build myself a turbo Zenair HD 650. Plus park Mirage 1 indoors.

Anyhow, I digress and thanks,

Good thing for auto save. I wrote my blurb at lunch, wandered away w/o hitting Post!
    That sucks, Sorry to hear things aren't going as planned. Here's hoping things turn around for you!
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm happy with these testing numbers. My block heater turns on 2 hours before I head to work.

Has anybody tested this in -20 Temps?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Where the hell have you been lately?
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I'm happy with these testing numbers. My block heater turns on 2 hours before I head to work.

Has anybody tested this in -20 Temps?
    2 hours appears to be a good time, especially if it's really cold.

I would like to see the same test done @ -20 temps, too. Not done in Fummins' heated garage, however!

Nice to see a post from you again!

Not yet!

I forget: shouldn't the change in temperature be the same, regardless of starting point? EG: it should add ~60F after ~100 minutes?

Someone with some edumacation about thermal issues, correct me if I'm wrong.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)