Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wifes got a mirage again

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The point I was making is that the ES...the top-of-the-line in 2015...had become the base model in 2017.
    I understand what you are saying. We are on different wave lengths. I grew up in Chevy vehicles exactly like these. My dad's first car was 1960 Chevy Bel Air when I was born in 1963. His second car was a 1966 Impala & so on.

Chevy had the Bel Air & later added higher trim levels like the Impala & Caprice.

Mitsubishi switched the trim levels around in one year. I don't think Chevy ever flipped the above trim levels. Trim levels did disappeared and reappeared. My dad even had a Lumina when that sort of replace the Impala line up. After that he went Buick for a few years & then came back to the Impala. After his last Impala, he's owned SUVs instead. Living on a farm, my parents have always had a full size Chevy pickup in their garage, too.

I don't think Chevy ever flipped the Bel Air & Impala trim level names, which is what Mitsubishi sort of did in 2017. Even though the early Bel Air may have been consider well equipped in its day, none of the other trim levels (Impala/Caprice) were ever considered below it. Thus, I always think of the Bel Air as the bottom trim level even in the years it was the only trim level.

By comparison - I cannot view the ES the same way. The ES is not the base level for all years. To me that is confusing.

I still use an Impala (2015) to this day. I will have at least 8 hours of btw driving lessons in one this upcoming week.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess they never made a 57 impala to compare to a bel air or impala. But in 57 bel air was top of the line then as the years went on they brought in other lines and the bel air fell down the rung.
    I guess the impala could have been lower down the chain compared to a caprice in the 60's unless you got an SS but in 95 the impala SS could be thought of being higher end than the same year caprice? Or is this not good enough of a comparison?

What about the Mercury Maurader? I worked with a guy who had an early 70's(i think) Maurader. It was basic had a 390, power steering and brakes. Basic turd. They brought the name back in the 2000's for a top end fancy go fast model which I believe was comparable to an impala ss. I dunno if this is similar enough?

Out here the de was a base for a year or two then es was mid trim and se was always top spec as far as I know. Now es is base model and it seems every other year they change names for the other trim levels.
    A more current collector's car is a clone of these cars. The Pontiac G8 was created, and a year later the entire Pontiac line up was dropped by GM. This made the Pontiac G8 a one year wonder! I don't think the G8 will ever compete with the legacy of the 1957 Chevy.

This lady drove a 1957 Bel Air for 60 years. Considering she lives in Wisconsin, that's amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwcRG2aEi3s&t=11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3-ipaNnGs&t=5s

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Chevy had the Bel Air & later added higher trim levels like the Impala & Caprice.
    Can't believe you two left out the Biscayne and the Delray. Don't forget about the Brookwood & Kingswood.

Tsk tsk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What model what year was the Brougham? I love that car! And the 1988 Lincoln Town car! Sooo cool lol!

Hilarious that I go from a tiny, little, fuel efficient car like the Mirage to a big boat, gas guzzling, manual everything car like a Lincoln Town car or Delray or Biscayne.
    Oooooo-now I have to go look up pictures of them
    Last edited by MirageRally; 12-03-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Can't believe you two left out the Biscayne and the Delray. Don't forget about the Brookwood & Kingswood.

Tsk tsk.
    I guess that I was referring to models that I remember my family & relatives driving. I remember the Biscayne, but don't remember anyone owning one. Bel Air, Impala, & Caprice were quite popular, however. The Impala symbol is still one of my favorite car symbols of all time.

How on Earth would you design a car symbol for a Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Thought i'd take a staged pictures of all the cars. The red evos in the garage behind it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love it Clessy. Were I live we have one person that's all Honda (everything from cars to equipment), another neighbor that's all Toyota, and a all Chevy house too... Very amusing when I drive by them. They are always looking at each other then they see me go by in my little roller skate lol.

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Clessy (12-08-2020)