Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wifes got a mirage again

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't think my 2014 ES manual has hill start assist. How would I know? My car rolls back on a hill if you have your foot on the clutch, or if you're in neutral.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I don't think my 2014 ES manual has hill start assist. How would I know? My car rolls back on a hill if you have your foot on the clutch, or if you're in neutral.
    You have to push in the clutch and brake to set it. It allows you to move your right foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal without the concern of the car rolling backwards. This is also why all manuals have hand operated parking brakes. The alternative is to hold the parking brake & release it with your hand as you let out the clutch. Most people with experience driving manuals just move their feet fast (engage the clutch while releasing the brake & going to gas pedal) and make it happen without rolling back.
    Last edited by Mark; 11-28-2020 at 06:08 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-28-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You have to push in the clutch and brake to set it. It allows you to move your right foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal without the concern of the car rolling backwards. This is also why all manuals have hand operated parking brakes. The alternative is to hold the parking brake & release it with your hand as you let out the clutch. Most people with experience driving manuals just move their feet fast and make it happen without rolling back.
    My Mirage doesn't have hill start assist. That would be a nice option to have. I do have good footwork with my manual. Good enough most of the time anyways. Most of my driving is to grocery store parking lot in flat or rolling farmland Ontario, I'm not driving my Mustang in San Francisco.

Anyways most times I keep my car from rolling back. I seem to be behind with car technology.

But I do like using my rocking my car to trick red lights into switching to green.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My Mirage doesn't have hill start assist. That would be a nice option to have. I do have good footwork with my manual. Good enough most of the time anyways. Most of my driving is to grocery store parking lot in flat or rolling farmland Ontario, I'm not driving my Mustang in San Francisco.

Anyways most times I keep my car from rolling back. I seem to be behind with car technology.

But I do like using my rocking my car to trick red lights into switching to green.
    Both my 2011 Forester & 2017 Mirage have HSA. It's a nice feature when driving a manual. There are hills everywhere in my area. Even parking lots in some places have steep driveways. In all honesty, I thought HSA was a feature only offered for manuals. Apparently, I had a wrong misconception about that.

If I had a very base level car (which I don't believe exist any more), HSA (hill start assist) would be very low on the list of additional features I would want to add. I embrace simple, however.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Both my 2011 Forester & 2017 Mirage have HSA. It's a nice feature when driving a manual. There are hills everywhere in my area. Even parking lots in some places have steep driveways. In all honesty, I thought HSA was a feature only offered for manuals. Apparently, I had a wrong misconception about that.

If I had a very base level car (which I don't believe exist any more), HSA (hill start assist) would be very low on the list of additional features I would want to add. I embrace simple, however.

I relate to embracing simple. However, cheap and simple found me. From not having the money for expensive cars. Same with my friends in our teens and 20s especially the student lifers lol. Econoboxes themselves were practically luxuries when most people just had a bus pass. Lots of economical hatchbacks on campuses back then. Anyways I get it, always have with practical, cheerful simple little cars. I just dream of even owning a Mazda3. I am not eating out of Tiffany's silverware in my Hermes chair.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

We'll be upgrading to Xenon head lights and adding those evo 8 recaros and seat heaters after all. I think we're gonna try to find the 2014 rims as they're smaller and its for sure noticeable in mpg. Same with these 175 tires. Im only getting 36 mpg city vs the 40 we use to get on the 2014.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-28-2020),MirageRally (11-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a buddy who lives in Charlotte. I'd trade a set of the 14" alloys from a 14-15 for the ones on your 17. Also would be interested in your front seats if you're swapping them. He'll be coming out this way (I'm in Rockford, IL) sometime in December haha.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    You're right Mark. The SE replaced the nice ES models and the ES replaced the DE models. I've seen car companies do this crap all the time... the midlevel becomes the base model.
    This has been going on for decades. From 1950 to 1957, the Bel Air was the top Chevy model. Then the Impala came out in '58. It was the top model until it was knocked off by the Caprice in '66. By the 1960s the Bel Air was the bottom-rung, low-rent, cheapest fullsize car in Chevy's lineup. By the '80s the Impala and Caprice were also both mostly relegated to fleet sales.

Same with the Ford Fairlane. Top-of-the-line in 1955, but by 1970 it was one of the cheapest Fords you could get.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I put an LS badge on my DE off of a Diamante or something. Does that make it mo' betta?

I did some performance mods to it, so my logic was that it was "Less Slow"... or "Ludicrously Slow" or "Looks Stupid", depending on your perspective.
    When I bought my ES in 2014 I decided those letters stood for "Extra Sh!t", while DE stood for "Does Enough".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This has been going on for decades. From 1950 to 1957, the Bel Air was the top Chevy model. Then the Impala came out in '58. It was the top model until it was knocked off by the Caprice in '66. By the 1960s the Bel Air was the bottom-rung, low-rent, cheapest fullsize car in Chevy's lineup. By the '80s the Impala and Caprice were also both mostly relegated to fleet sales.

Same with the Ford Fairlane. Top-of-the-line in 1955, but by 1970 it was one of the cheapest Fords you could get.
    I grew up in the Chevy line up. My dad's first 5 cars were the Impala line up. I took my driving test with a 1977 Impala. Chevy added models with more features, but never flip flopped them. A 2014-15 ES is the 2017+ SE. That would be like saying the Bel Air has more features than an Impala or the Bel Air in now the Impala level & the Impala is the base model, which never happened. Yes, Bel Air was dropped eventually.