Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Good replacement radio for 2015 Mirage DE?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What in the world? Send me a link to the radio you bought... I'll look at the instructions and see what's up.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I looked at the instructions for the radio, the decorative bezel should be a separate piece according to the instructions. The faceplate itself shouldn't be removed on that radio.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I looked at the instructions for the radio, the decorative bezel should be a separate piece according to the instructions. The faceplate itself shouldn't be removed on that radio.
    I can tell the faceplate is not meant to be removed on this radio like on many more expensive units. The buttons all start to fall out and then I have to put them back in position. I just removed it to see about removing the outer bezel.

Here is what I bought. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Elec...iver/223451013

The paper in the box makes no mention of removing the outer trim. I am going to lookup my model online and see if I can find a more detailed manual. I really think with all the crap I put this thing through, the outer part would have popped off by now if it was meant to be removed.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found this manual online and no mention is made of the outer trim removal. I am guessing there are similar models where the trim pops right off.

http://www.dualav.com/support/manual...2020200128.pdf

I have spent more time dealing with this cheapo than it is worth. I am thinking about getting this Kenwood as I have always had good luck with them and one is in stock. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenwood-K...-MP3/426818089

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I found this manual online and no mention is made of the outer trim removal. I am guessing there are similar models where the trim pops right off.

http://www.dualav.com/support/manual...2020200128.pdf

I have spent more time dealing with this cheapo than it is worth. I am thinking about getting this Kenwood as I have always had good luck with them and one is in stock. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenwood-K...-MP3/426818089

Conor
    The Kenwood is in stock and has removable trim so am going to order it and pick it up. There is only one left in my store!

I really don't see how one could remove the trim on the dual without cutting and the more I looked into doing this when I woke up, the more I think I would just ruin the thing completely. There area with the plastic webbing I would need to cut also contains the clips the hold the faceplate on. I really don't think it is meant to be separated on this unit.

I will keep it because I think one of my Ford trucks is going to need a new radio soon and this would do if I can get it to work in that one. If not I only spent $17.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't forget to check the clearance shelves in the automotive service area. I found a Sony XAV-AX100 head unit for 75$ on clearance at my local Walmart as well as a 35$ Dual brand marine radio with bluetooth and a pair of junk speakers to replace the broken ones in my Dodge Dakota. The wiring kits I found in the main Walmart clearance section for 2$ Neither one plays CDs. Bluetooth is all I really wanted anyway since central Texas has the worst radio stations in the US when they aren't overlapping with other regional frequencies.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BecauseRaceCar View Post
    Don't forget to check the clearance shelves in the automotive service area. I found a Sony XAV-AX100 head unit for 75$ on clearance at my local Walmart as well as a 35$ Dual brand marine radio with bluetooth and a pair of junk speakers to replace the broken ones in my Dodge Dakota. The wiring kits I found in the main Walmart clearance section for 2$ Neither one plays CDs. Bluetooth is all I really wanted anyway since central Texas has the worst radio stations in the US when they aren't overlapping with other regional frequencies.
    I will although it seems most of the Wal-Marts around here have been raided. Everywhere else has toilet paper but not at the Wal-Mart! It is that way with everything. People seem to go nuts at Wal-Mart but not other stores. That applies to everything and is one of the reasons I try to avoid the place.

I did get the Kenwood ordered and it is ready for pickup. I will keep my eyes out as I do have other vehicles getting new radios in the future. I am with you that I no longer car much about CDs. There is a Kenwood just like the one I got minus the CD player. I like that these have Bluetooth but not all the other crap most have these days. I don't want Alexa listening to me. I was given an Echo device but choose not to use it.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    These standard el cheapo units do not sit flush with the mounting bracket - they stick out significantly as they are meant to ape the style of the more expensive ones with removable faceplates. Here is one properly installed.

Seems it's only held in place with a single pair of screws. In this case, the faceplate trim actually seems to be designed to function as a structural mechanism as the thing is so short it probably doesn't meet up with any internal clips. You get what you pay for.

Getting that Kenwood is probably a better choice at the end of the day. Things cost what they cost. If you want a decent non-touchscreen head unit, you should be dropping ~$100 nowadays. Seems the one you picked out is just about that. I've had pretty good experiences with JVC/Kenwood in terms of quality. JVC's mobile apps (at least on Android) suck big ol' weiner, though.

Best of luck!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    These standard el cheapo units do not sit flush with the mounting bracket - they stick out significantly as they are meant to ape the style of the more expensive ones with removable faceplates. Here is one properly installed.

Seems it's only held in place with a single pair of screws. In this case, the faceplate trim actually seems to be designed to function as a structural mechanism as the thing is so short it probably doesn't meet up with any internal clips. You get what you pay for.

Getting that Kenwood is probably a better choice at the end of the day. Things cost what they cost. If you want a decent non-touchscreen head unit, you should be dropping ~$100 nowadays. Seems the one you picked out is just about that. I've had pretty good experiences with JVC/Kenwood in terms of quality. JVC's mobile apps (at least on Android) suck big ol' weiner, though.

Best of luck!
    Yeah, you get what you pay for. There was no way to make the el cheapo sit out in front of the adapter plate. The body was simply too wide even with the mounting sleeve removed. I could have ground a wider space into that but why? I figure the Kenwood will serve me well. I have always had good luck with these and just hope this isn't a Wal-Mart *******ized version. So many companies just prostitute themselves out to Wal-Mart these days. This one isn't loaded with features but I didn't want all that nonsense so I hope it works out well.

I have to separate the harnesses now. I even went the extra step of soldering them together.

Hopefully the Dual will work in my truck needing a new radio. If not, I blew $17. No biggie.

Conor

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

BecauseRaceCar (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wanted to let everyone know that the Kenwood is installed and working well. I have only had it on for 10 minutes but it sounds noticeably better and the buttons work of course. I like that the bluetooth is completely independent of the car with its own microphone as I never thought much of the factory system.

The outer trim ring popped right off. It looks like the el cheapo won't work in our cars, at least with the dash adapter I bought. They all pretty much looked the same from what I could tell.

Conor

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (12-16-2020)