Thread: "The perfect daily driver"

Country
    United States
    Thanks

"The perfect daily driver"

Some good praises for the car for once. Sorry if its posted already as its pretty old.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You need to keep in mind that most mainstream car reviews only really care about "the experience" of a new vehicle out of the box. By that metric, the Mirage really does **** the bed when compared to pretty much any other modern vehicle. Let's just be honest with ourselves about that.

But, everyone buys cars for different reasons, as we all have different needs and wants from a vehicle. If you really, honestly, truly just want a cheap car that's cheap to maintain that can reliably get from point A to B for the next 10 years, then you can't beat the Mirage. It is incredibly well designed in order to do just that.

It should be no surprise that any reviews you see will basically fall onto one of these two sides of the fence, and they are both correct.
    Last edited by PityOnU; 12-02-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Some good praises for the car for once. Sorry if its posted already as its pretty old.
    Powershiftmatt joined the forum last year, was active for a couple months, claimed he was going to develop various aftermarket performance options for this generation Mirage and hasn't posted for over a year. He last logged in on 12 April. Maybe he'll come back and follow through, but unfortunately that's a common, recurring theme for these cars when the enthusiasm dies down.

Long Time Mitsubishi Enthusiast! Intake DIY Inside Too

Renegade Performance (Mirage aftermarket parts & products)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was hoping to see what he had to offer, too.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I was hoping to see what he had to offer, too.
    Yep, hope he's ok.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As far as intakes are concerned if someone had a 3d printer I could effortless make people ram intakes if they wanted. The issue is getting a ton of these pipes welded would cost more than anyones willing to pay for something that looks pretty. It goes against the mirage in its very concept. An expensive part for a cheap car.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yep, hope he's ok.
    He just replied to me on youtube. He's fine.
    Last edited by Clessy; 12-03-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    It's really about expectations. I get enthused about vehicles that have a point. My truck's point is, it is "universal and efficient" for what it is. I can do ANYTHING with it (haul people, tow, haul dirt, use it for storage, etc), and yields more than reasonable economy doing it. A Camry's point is it is meant to be comfortable, easy and reliable. A Mirage is supposed to be INEXPENSIVE.

Dog Decrapo reviewed the Mirage in his famous video as if it were supposed to be a sports sedan or something. In one instance, he seems to go off the deep end about how small the engine is and that he can see the ground around the engine. I on the other had was impressed with that bit of info. I want space around an engine. His review is as logical as if a reviewer opened the hood of a Corvette and complained, "I can't see the ground, this engine is far too large." His video is non sensical, but popular because he and other people actually don't understand cars, but seem to and are entertaining. Anyone who looks at a floor duct used to distribute ventilated air to the rear passenger area, and doesn't even recognize that it is a ventilation duct ... well, they don't know cars, and get 0 respect from me of their video.

On the other hand - as yet, I'm failing to understand why anyone would want to try to mod their Mirage for power, for street use. Now Loren, he and his Mirage are different. Go hog wild for track use. But for street use? No matter what you do to it, it's still going to be slow. So, just use it and appreciate it for what it is. It is a heck of a great tool for the cost, so use it and save your money. Don't get me wrong though, even I am going to spend a bit of money on my Mirage. Because the stock wheel covers are ugly, and I'm going to do a bit of towing with it. But I'm not going to be adding nitrous to it ... well, probably not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-30-2020)