Thread: New to a Mirage, just a couple of questions

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New to a Mirage, just a couple of questions

I bought a Mirage 1.2 51k miles 2013.
    I am loving this car, great fuel economy, great engine, just what I need. I just have a couple of questions, this is my first experience with a tricilindric engine:
    - when did you change your first timing chain? After how many miles/years?
    - while I start the car during the morning (cold mornings) I hear a rattling noise (it lasts just a second)
    - is normal that the car makes a different sound when cold?
    - the poly v is noisy, especially when it's raining, it doesn't look damaged, is it a commun issue or do you suggest to change it?
    - sometimes, when I put in the first, after stopping the vehicle, I hear a "tong" sound and like a blow from the clutch pedal, is that normal?
    Thank you in advance for your time!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    • Timing Chain - It's a good question because I'm assuming it is a chain and not a belt. A timing chain is durable, a belt would need replacement but generally a chain will not.
    • First start rattle - It is normal. Some say that 5W-20 fixes or lessens it. But I just run 0W-20 synthetic and don't worry about that noise.
    • Sound when cold - It's normal cars make a different sound when cold. They generally sound worse / louder however one might describe it.
    • Is the Poly V you mention and serpentine belt? Don't know why it would be noisy when raining. Wouldn't hurt to change it.
    • Clutch sound - Probably not normal, but clutches aren't all that expensive, nor are they generally repairable (just replaceable). So just ignore that noise if it is the clutch because I doubt a noise like that could be fixed. Some don't know this, but first gear wasn't meant to be shifted into unless either stopped or at a very slow speed. Don't try to push it into first while coasting down to a stop, until you are very close to stopping.

I get an occasional pop from my car. Generally from changing direction and changing steering angles. Sounds like front suspension or steering. And my car is new. I'm just ignoring that crap too. I figure, it's an inexpensive car and I do not expect perfection.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    • Timing Chain - It's a good question because I'm assuming it is a chain and not a belt. A timing chain is durable, a belt would need replacement but generally a chain will not.
    • First start rattle - It is normal. Some say that 5W-20 fixes or lessens it. But I just run 0W-20 synthetic and don't worry about that noise.
    • Sound when cold - It's normal cars make a different sound when cold. They generally sound worse / louder however one might describe it.
    • Is the Poly V you mention and serpentine belt? Don't know why it would be noisy when raining. Wouldn't hurt to change it.
    • Clutch sound - Probably not normal, but clutches aren't all that expensive, nor are they generally repairable (just replaceable). So just ignore that noise if it is the clutch because I doubt a noise like that could be fixed. Some don't know this, but first gear wasn't meant to be shifted into unless either stopped or at a very slow speed. Don't try to push it into first while coasting down to a stop, until you are very close to stopping.

I get an occasional pop from my car. Generally from changing direction and changing steering angles. Sounds like front suspension or steering. And my car is new. I'm just ignoring that crap too. I figure, it's an inexpensive car and I do not expect perfection.
    Thank you for your kind reply, I am loving this forum!!