Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More positive reviews.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

More positive reviews.

I've seen a few real owners that have taken the time to do owner reviews of the Mirage, and I sure wish a bunch more would step up to talk about the positives these little cars have.
    Paid shill reviewers here in the USA trash this car without hesitation, never realizing the segment they are aimed at doesn't need a 60K mega SUV to get from point A to B.
    If 50 or so more of us would post up some positive reviews, it sure would go a long way towards fixing the image these little cars seem to have here stateside.

I don't recall the Metro getting such hate back in the day. Reviewers then realized they were basic transportation, now they seem to expect every car to have every feature at any price.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-08-2020),dspace9 (12-04-2020),inuvik (12-04-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Less people were driving overpriced SUVs and cars generally in 1990 than nowadays. People are more reckless with debt in this generation.

My Mirage has been a great little car. People pan the Mirage because they simply don't know how to walk in working class shoes. They want to be pampered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Less people were driving overpriced SUVs and cars generally in 1990 than nowadays. People are more reckless with debt in this generation.

My Mirage has been a great little car. People pan the Mirage because they simply don't know how to walk in working class shoes. They want to be pampered.
    I fear you are right about all this. If so, we as a nation are going to face some really harsh realities one day all too soon.

I live my life as though I make 1/2 of what I do. I learned in my youth the hard way what happens when you don't. I've had good financial luck these last 10 years and decided to splurge on my first new car, and when I did, the Mirage was a no-brainer. Cheap, easy to work on, and great on gas. Everything that everyone should still be looking for in a car.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-08-2020),dspace9 (12-04-2020),MetroMPG (12-07-2020),MirageRally (12-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I feel it's only going to get worse with each generation... Heck I guess I'm in the newest generation... What is it?...X...Y? I forget... But there are plenty in my generation that just think that they can slack off and get money...they don't realize that you have to work to make money... And if you want this or that you might have to work overtime for it...Example: Do I want to work out more? Or do I want to put more hours in at work so I can save for that new present for Christmas? Everything has a trade-off...

Edit: sorry to have taken the thread off course MrFixit.... I do agree that if more people say more positive things it will go up... But that's how you really know if a car is great or not, the owners...not the journalists. Because the owners have been through repairs and have their own experiences with the car, whereas journalists only have a short amount of time with it.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-04-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think overtime means your taxes go way up, and it's almost better just to clock in 35-40 hours and try to find a good work/life balance. I always pick my time over any extra money. I don't fix everything myself that is for sure, but I'm also careful with my spending now more than when I was younger and starving student. I watch out for things like buying a Lennox furnace for an old house is pointless might as well get a cheaper brand. I have had good financial luck too the past 10 years too and some other luck along the way, not so much lol 30s different than my 20s..so sometimes life can feel ironic for what you get and what you receive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    People pan the Mirage because they simply don't know how to walk in working class shoes. They want to be pampered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    I fear you are right about all this. If so, we as a nation are going to face some really harsh realities one day all too soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I feel it's only going to get worse with each generation... Heck I guess I'm in the newest generation... What is it?...X...Y? I forget... But there are plenty in my generation that just think that they can slack off and get money...they don't realize that you have to work to make money...
    I think racking it up to a generational phenomena is oversimplifying a little bit. There may be a small part of that, especially in the United States. We're a country where (seemingly) hard work has improved QoL generation over generation, basically throughout the history of the country's existence. Culturally, that's embraced as the American ethos. So, naturally, young people tend to gauge where they should be at in life based on when/how their parents met the same milestones. A continuing pattern would suggest that they should beat or at least match that. However, the reality is that due to a combination of many factors, young people have a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage starting out nowadays. This results in them being, realistically, around 10 years behind their parents in most cases (at least, financially speaking and in terms of relative age). It's something that people are only just now realizing, and significantly impacts life outlook/expectations for many people. It takes some time, acceptance, and restraint in order to begin acting appropriately.

However, I think the main factor influencing people to want "nicer" things in general is simply the availability of information. Previously, it was much more difficult to even find out what the options were. Simply not knowing there were alternative options was a legitimate concern. However, with all of our tech and interconnectedness now, people are very aware of how good things can be, so they are reluctant to settle for less. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.
    Last edited by PityOnU; 12-04-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I get late night cravings for a new car. I know it's a strange tic.. it is true you get judged fast and hard with your vehicle. That's why a Lambo will stick out so much.. I was behind a new Mercedes AMG sedan earlier today. They couldn't drive at all. And then I was behind a white Tesla. They have a horizontal red taillight across the top of the rear window. Never seen that before in a car besides the Pontiac Aztek and the Mitsubishi Eclypse Cross. I was also at a stop light beside one of those brand new Porsche sedans. I don't know if it was gas or electric. Looked like around $200,000. Not sure why people are spending that kind of money on cars. Food banks need help more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You want depressing?

My wife makes 3x as much as I do. We file taxes jointly, so this puts me in a CRAZY tax bracket for the amount of money that I actually earn.

If I filed my taxes separately, I'd probably pay half as much in taxes on MY income. But, the benefits of filing jointly are much better for my wife, so it works out.

I'm gonna side with Fummins on "working overtime doesn't mean you pay so much more in taxes that it's not worth it". The norm is for overtime to be paid at 1.5x. So, you're earning 50% more. If they take 30% in taxes, you're still making more than straight time.

That said... I also very much side with the "work to live, don't live to work" camp. Life's too short to not spend some time enjoying it.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Where did you learn that overtime means your taxes go way up? I guess more hours equal more money which then equals more taxes. But directly nope....There's no direct overtime to tax correlation that I'm aware of. I'll let you know in the spring lol.

I assume you're talking about tax brackets??
    I once got a "raise" then had my boss whining that he gave everyone raises and nobody was saying thank you. I showed him my paystub and said thanks for the paycut lol. That raise bumped me into a the next higher tax bracket so then the payroll company started deducting more taxes so I wouldn't have to pay at tax time. The result was less moneys in my pocket.

Overtime for me means you get paid 1.5x my normal wage after 8hrs. I may pay more taxes but make more money at the end of the day. I'll gladly wake up an hour early if I have to. I don't need my beauty sleep. The only way to avoid lots of income tax is to have a poverty wage job or be bum on welfare. I don't see either in my future.

Well, except for maybe being a grumpy,senile Walmart greater. Gotta have goals
    Overtime is the same for me. I know Christmas bonuses do actually get taxed higher. Not exactly sure if it's tax brackets, but I did the math and I always let minor issues at work like that slide. I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me and so far so good. What is a tax return lol?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure about Canada, but in the USA there is no way to receive a raise and make less money due to taxes.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brie...tax-rates-work

Again, not sure about Canada, but in the USA, overtime is not taxed any differently than standard wages.

The amount withheld may increase due to how your company (sloppily) handles said withholdings, but your take-home at the end of the year will always go up as you will get that back as a tax return.