Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-2 shift issue

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Common overall or common in these Mitsubishi 5 speeds?
    Both it would seem. Those syncros tend to wear quicker though in most standard transmissions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Hey AtomicPunk how's your transmission holding up?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey AtomicPunk how's your transmission holding up?

So far so good. It's worse the colder it is outside, so I try to warm up the transmission as quick as I can by staying in lower gears longer. Definitely related to temp, because it will be hard to go from 1st-2nd when I leave work, but after 30 minutes on the highway, the issue is mostly gone. In the Spring I'm going to put in Redline and see if it makes a difference (no heated garage and too cheap to pay a shop to do it now). This week's polar vortex should provide more opportunity to test out my hypothesis.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine did the same thing for awhile and l think the wear materials weren't fully worn yet. Let me know how the redline works as a couple people have switched to that and have noticed better shift quality.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 02-06-2021 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Typing is hard
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    So far so good. It's worse the colder it is outside, so I try to warm up the transmission as quick as I can by staying in lower gears longer. Definitely related to temp, because it will be hard to go from 1st-2nd when I leave work, but after 30 minutes on the highway, the issue is mostly gone. In the Spring I'm going to put in Redline and see if it makes a difference (no heated garage and too cheap to pay a shop to do it now). This week's polar vortex should provide more opportunity to test out my hypothesis.
    I did Redline MTL @ 30,000 miles, & I plan on doing it every 50,000 miles in the future. I actually bought a gallon of Redline MTL. Thus, I am ready for the next change @ 80,000 miles. I compared prices of Redline @ walmart.com & Amazon. Whichever one was cheapest is who I bought it from.

The joy of a manual is changing the fluid is simple, & there are no filters to change. I didn't have a 24mm socket in my set. I picked up one, & that will take care of the fill hole & drain hole bolts for you.

It was -4F when I drove into town for driving lesson this morning. I don't really notice a difference in shifting in cold weather with my Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I changed my fluid for Redline MTL at about 50,000 miles, and it made a noticeable difference in the way the car shifts, even in cold weather. Shifts gears without issue, but it is more "notchy" when it's very cold. I have about 78,000 miles now.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Its time to trade in that manual for a CVT version and get 400k miles no prob amigo!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Its time to trade in that manual for a CVT version and get 400k miles no prob amigo!
    The Mirage with 414,000 miles (sitting @ White Bear Mitsubishi) has cured your CVT anxiety!

Manual drivers are a dying breed. You should take it easy on us!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Mirage with 414,000 miles (sitting @ White Bear Mitsubishi) has cured your CVT anxiety!

Manual drivers are a dying breed. You should take it easy on us!
    Haha hardly dude. I'm going to call up there and see if they'll answer my questions.

Definitely related to temp, because it will be hard to go from 1st-2nd when I leave work
    Yeah, definitely a cold temperature issue. And not limited to the Mirage - it happened to just about every manual transmission car I've owned.

As others have said, synthetic gear oil, and/or slightly lighter gear oil will help.

Double-clutching also allows you to shift easier until the trans warms up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)