Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-2 shift issue

Country
    United States
    Thanks

1-2 shift issue

I have a 2017 G4 5 speed, 44k miles on the odo. Ive recently noticed more resistance when shifting from 1st to 2nd, especially in colder temps after first start. Its always been notchy, but some times it takes significant effort to get it into 2nd. Sitting still, its much smoother. Is this a clutch issue, or the sychronizer? Anyone else have this issue?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Probably worn syncro in that 1st to 2nd which is a common one. 3rd to 4th is the other common one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Maybe try a fluid change. It's cheap and not too difficult.

How To: Mirage Manual transmission fluid change

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

2of9 (12-08-2020),AtomicPunk (12-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fluid change will often help with this kind of thing. Certain fluids are known to help the synchronizers work better. Some kind of black magic friction modifier additive stuff going on there that I won't pretend to understand.

Also, check your clutch adjustment. By 40k miles, it might require a slight adjustment, but I doubt that's your problem.
    Simplify and add lightness.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll throw one for team flush in there too. Put a better fluid than what it came with and call it a day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Probably worn syncro in that 1st to 2nd which is a common one. 3rd to 4th is the other common one.

Common overall or common in these Mitsubishi 5 speeds?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I can't answer that question for you.

I have a 2017 ES manual with approximately 41,000 miles, & I changed my manual transmission fluid (used Redline MTL) @ 30,000 miles. I am not convinced factory fluids are all that great! As far as I am concerned, Mitsubishi even cheaped out on simple window washer fluid. Any vehicle sold in the Midwest, should not have washer fluid that freezes solid in the winter. A good company & their dealerships would address these minor details. Now, back on topic!

I would recommend a change of manual transmission fluid. Even if it doesn't solve the issue, I would start there. The ingredients for a manual fluid change are -

2 quarts of 75W-80 manual transmission gear oil
    24 mm socket to remove the drain & fill hole plugs
    Small funnel with a flexible hose (bought one @ Autozone for $2.49, but you could make one)
    Oil drain pan, ice cream bucket, kitty litter box, or whatever you have to catch 1.6 quarts of old fluid

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Transmission)

A decent home town mechanic shouldn't charge much for this type of service, but the transmission fluid is more expensive than engine oil.

I did Redline MTL @ 30,000 miles, & I plan on doing it every 50,000 miles in the future. My future costs will be the fluid and 15 minutes of my time. I actually bought a gallon of Redline MTL. Thus, I am ready for the next change @ 80,000 miles. I compared prices of Redline @ walmart.com & Amazon. Whichever one was cheapest is who I bought it from.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Seems this is becoming a problem for the Mirage F5MBD standard transmission. MightyMirageMpg and stevedmc have both reported this:

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I didn't change the clutch just the transmission. Something was wrong with 2nd gear. No pictures because that takes a lot of time.
    See also:
    gearshift cable removal mb992277

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    294,480 miles

In addition to my trouble shifting into first gear, the car is now having trouble shifting into second gear as well. I was hoping to hold out until 300k miles to worry about this issue, but I suppose I better make an attempt to fix it before things get even worse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I can't answer that question for you.

I have a 2017 ES manual with approximately 41,000 miles, & I changed my manual transmission fluid (used Redline MTL) @ 30,000 miles. I am not convinced factory fluids are all that great! As far as I am concerned, Mitsubishi even cheaped out on simple window washer fluid. Any vehicle sold in the Midwest, should not have washer fluid that freezes solid in the winter. A good company & their dealerships would address these minor details. Now, back on topic!

I would recommend a change of manual transmission fluid. Even if it doesn't solve the issue, I would start there. The ingredients for a manual fluid change are -

2 quarts of 75W-80 manual transmission gear oil
    24 mm socket to remove the drain & fill hole plugs
    Small funnel with a flexible hose (bought one @ Autozone for $2.49, but you could make one)
    Oil drain pan, ice cream bucket, kitty litter box, or whatever you have to catch 1.6 quarts of old fluid

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Transmission)

A decent home town mechanic shouldn't charge much for this type of service, but the transmission fluid is more expensive than engine oil.

I did Redline MTL @ 30,000 miles, & I plan on doing it every 50,000 miles in the future. My future costs will be the fluid and 15 minutes of my time. I actually bought a gallon of Redline MTL. Thus, I am ready for the next change @ 80,000 miles. I compared prices of Redline @ walmart.com & Amazon. Whichever one was cheapest is who I bought it from.
    Yes. Adjust the clutch and replace the factory fill with Redline MTL. IIRC, I had to adjust my clutch for the first time around 44,000 miles. I have 162,000 on my car, so I can't imagine you are having any internal transmission issues yet.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, everyone. All good information/suggestions.