Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First cross country trip in my 2019 ES!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sounds like a good road trip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Sounds like a good road trip.
    Not gonna lie, I had way more fun than I should have on this "working vacation"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-07-2020),MirageRally (12-07-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You might as well mix business with pleasure. Why not? What could possibly go wrong lol naw road trips are fun, I have gone to Michigan a few times in my Mirage, that is about it. I can't believe I have never bought a seat cushion, just complained for 7 years about my Mirage's seat. But pretty good compared to a lot of other subcompacts in history.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    High padded high quality $80 a pop seat cushions helped with my 2014 seats, the most uncomfortable year IMO. It really helps to pull over every 3 hours or so to stretch. I had the same discomfort in my old 04 Outback so who knows it might just be me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    High padded high quality $80 a pop seat cushions helped with my 2014 seats, the most uncomfortable year IMO. It really helps to pull over every 3 hours or so to stretch. I had the same discomfort in my old 04 Outback so who knows it might just be me.
    I lasted around 2-ish hours before my backside all but forced me to pull over, but that was ok, I liked the frequent breaks anyway. Still, nearly 5 years after your version you'd think Mitsubishi would have made the seats a bit better....guess not. I paid almost 60 bucks for the cushion I got on the trip which I still think was just a bit overpriced, but there's no arguing the results, I love what it did for me. I'd almost pay that price again because of that.
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 12-07-2020 at 03:31 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    I lasted around 2-ish hours before my backside all but forced me to pull over, but that was ok, I liked the frequent breaks anyway. Still, nearly 5 years after you version you'd think Mitsubishi would have made the seats a bit better....guess not. I paid almost 60 bucks for the cushion I got on the trip which I still think was just a bit overpriced, but there's no arguing the results, I love what it did for me. I'd almost pay that price again because of that.
    Mitsubushi cutting corners to save weight I guess? My ex's Infinity G37 seats were incredibly comfortable. Unlike the Mirage it had longer/better thigh support.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Mitsubushi cutting corners to save weight I guess? My ex's Infinity G37 seats were incredibly comfortable. Unlike the Mirage it had longer/better thigh support.
    Just about every other car I've bought in the last 10 or so years, no matter the cost, were better than these. No padding and a lack of anything that would help comfort like a telescoping steering wheel and adjustable lumber support are offered at any trim level. Pity because everything else like the ride and interior space are top notch. I still love this car, no doubt, but the seats there really is no excuse for in this day and age.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Former seat design engineer here for Toyota. No matter how a seat is designed, it's going to be UNcomfortable for a much higher percentage than one would hope. All butts are different. That topic would take pages and pages to discuss.

I just did a weekend trip. South side of Atlanta to Knoxville, TN. 245 miles each way. I ran, what I consider to be, the crap out of the car. I put the speedo on about 79 mph and my GPS speed hovered around 78 mph. Even at that speed, it never had any issues pulling hills. At that speed it is turning ~4,000 rpm, and hovering near its peak torque. Not 1 complaint about 4,000 rpm. The engine was smooth and quiet at that speed. Road noise, well ... this ain't no Lexus LS 460L. Even at that speed, this car still knocked out 39.6 mpg.

I also was carrying 2 of my sons and their stuff. We all carried, a pillow, a blanket, and a duffel bag. I spec'd duffel bags to them so they could be squished and fit better than hard bags. All 3 of our crap fit behind the hatch door and rear seat. No comfort issues were raised by my sons. My one son connected to BT and played his tunes. Noone complained the whole trip. I went as fast as I dared so that likely I wouldn't even be pulled over so I didn't even have to consider speed traps, and so that our time in the car was minimized and no one would grow uncomfortable. I think my sons gained some respect for the capabilities of an inexpensive vehicle. On each leg, the back seat son laid over and slept. For the price, a Mirage can't be beat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-07-2020),inuvik (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Former seat design engineer here for Toyota. No matter how a seat is designed, it's going to be UNcomfortable for a much higher percentage than one would hope. All butts are different. That topic would take pages and pages to discuss.

I just did a weekend trip. South side of Atlanta to Knoxville, TN. 245 miles each way. I ran, what I consider to be, the crap out of the car. I put the speedo on about 79 mph and my GPS speed hovered around 78 mph. Even at that speed, it never had any issues pulling hills. At that speed it is turning ~4,000 rpm, and hovering near its peak torque. Not 1 complaint about 4,000 rpm. The engine was smooth and quiet at that speed. Road noise, well ... this ain't no Lexus LS 460L. Even at that speed, this car still knocked out 39.6 mpg.

I also was carrying 2 of my sons and their stuff. We all carried, a pillow, a blanket, and a duffel bag. I spec'd duffel bags to them so they could be squished and fit better than hard bags. All 3 of our crap fit behind the hatch door and rear seat. No comfort issues were raised by my sons. My one son connected to BT and played his tunes. Noone complained the whole trip. I went as fast as I dared so that likely I wouldn't even be pulled over so I didn't even have to consider speed traps, and so that our time in the car was minimized and no one would grow uncomfortable. I think my sons gained some respect for the capabilities of an inexpensive vehicle. On each leg, the back seat son laid over and slept. For the price, a Mirage can't be beat.
    4000 rpm for the 3A92 is no big deal and you could run it all day long with no issues as long as you insure proper oil level and not running sludge for oil. Sounds like a great trip!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    4000 rpm for the 3A92 is no big deal and you could run it all day long with no issues as long as you insure proper oil level and not running sludge for oil. Sounds like a great trip!
    At 75 mph with the CVT the little 3A92 wasn't even pushing 3400 rpm, it was quiet to my ears (although I DO have a pretty powerful stereo covering up just about any noise...) and performed flawlessly the entire 3015 mile trip. Can't ask for more than that

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-08-2020),inuvik (12-07-2020)