Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First cross country trip in my 2019 ES!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    3,015 is a heck of a roadtrip. Makes my 500 mile trip just a little jog.

But yeah, I had just done an oil change. Running Castrol Magnetec 0W-20, all the way to the top indicator hole.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    At 75 mph with the CVT the little 3A92 wasn't even pushing 3400 rpm, it was quiet to my ears (although I DO have a pretty powerful stereo covering up just about any noise...) and performed flawlessly the entire 3015 mile trip. Can't ask for more than that
    I had to make a trip up north last week. It's approximately 450 miles round trip to my parents. I wanted to see if I could get my Mirage under 40 mpg on this trip. I stopped & filled up (87 octane, 10% ethanol) prior to the second half of the trip, which is mostly 70 mph interstate highway. I don't hesitate to drive approximately 5 mph over the speed limit 90% of the time. So most of that portion was 75 mph, & I was fighting a pretty intense north wind head on.

If I push my 2017 ES manual up to 80 mph (near 4,000 rpm), the "ECO" light on the dash goes out. I had never noticed that before, but I don't drive 80 mph around where I live at all. I have to travel some distance just to reach a 4-lane highway.

I drove up to my parents & filled back up on my way back home the next day (temperatures were in the 30s both days). I waited until the last bar on my gas gauge was flashing for a period of time. I fill until the gas pump clicks off a second time each time. My trip odometer was exactly @ 318.0 miles, & it took 7.511 gallons to fill up.

318 miles/7.511 gallons = 42.33 mpg

To be far some of these miles ended being 2-lane highway going 60/65 mph on the way back home, too. About 2/3 of this tank was pushing it (75+ mph) on the 4-lane highways, & I still failed to get under 40 mpg.

My Mirage seems to be low to mid 40's in the winter and mid to upper 40's in the summer with the 5-speed manual. That's normal driving & not trying to do anything special in my mind. Wind is always a factor. Part of this was pretty intense. The next day was not so bad.

Has anyone else noticed their "ECO" dash light goes out at a particular high speed in high gear (flat, level highway)?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Has anyone else noticed their "ECO" dash light goes out at a particular high speed in high gear (flat, level highway)?
    Here is someone talking about a freeway trip in their CVT Mirage...

I recently took a 90 mile trip, averaging 80 mph, while heading into a 25-30 mph headwind. With the CVT equipped Mirage and cruise control set, the car averaged 24 mpg. I took a video of this happening, showing the ECO light was not on and RPMs were averaging 4k to 5k for the entire trip. Oh, and that was on level ground.
    I'm thinking that above a certain RPM (like 4,000), the concept of anything being "ECO" probably goes out the window.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-07-2020),Fummins (12-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had to make a trip up north last week. It's approximately 450 miles round trip to my parents. I wanted to see if I could get my Mirage under 40 mpg on this trip. I stopped & filled up (87 octane, 10% ethanol) prior to the second half of the trip, which is mostly 70 mph interstate highway. I don't hesitate to drive approximately 5 mph over the speed limit 90% of the time. So most of that portion was 75 mph, & I was fighting a pretty intense north wind head on.

If I push my 2017 ES manual up to 80 mph (near 4,000 rpm), the "ECO" light on the dash goes out. I had never noticed that before, but I don't drive 80 mph around where I live at all. I have to travel some distance just to reach a 4-lane highway.

I drove up to my parents & filled back up on my way back home the next day (temperatures were in the 30s both days). I waited until the last bar on my gas gauge was flashing for a period of time. I fill until the gas pump clicks off a second time each time. My trip odometer was exactly @ 318.0 miles, & it took 7.511 gallons to fill up.

318 miles/7.511 gallons = 42.33 mpg

To be far some of these miles ended being 2-lane highway going 60/65 mph on the way back home, too. About 2/3 of this tank was pushing it (75+ mph) on the 4-lane highways, & I still failed to get under 40 mpg.

My Mirage seems to be low to mid 40's in the winter and mid to upper 40's in the summer with the 5-speed manual. That's normal driving & not trying to do anything special in my mind. Wind is always a factor. Part of this was pretty intense. The next day was not so bad.

Anytime I went over 75 mph, even just at 76 mph, the ECO light went off. Even at 75 mph though, my gas mileage was suffering. I normally get 40+ mpg even in stop and go city driving (again , I've got the CVT not the manual). I did manage a few legs on this long trip with over 40, but the average dropped quite a bit all tallied up at the end of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Likely, this ECO light is just looking at intake vacuum. At some point the throttle valve will have to stay far enough open and result in not enough intake vacuum to trigger that sensor / light.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Anytime I went over 75 mph, even just at 76 mph, the ECO light went off. Even at 75 mph though, my gas mileage was suffering. I normally get 40+ mpg even in stop and go city driving (again , I've got the CVT not the manual). I did manage a few legs on this long trip with over 40, but the average dropped quite a bit all tallied up at the end of it.
    It's a fixed speed IIRC and 75mph / 120km/h is it. Once you go above that speed even if you let off the gas the ECO light won't come on until you drop below 75/120. It might be something to do with in certain countries any speed above 120km/h triggers a warning light and a very annoying repeating warning beep. If the sunlight is the right angle or if you get a flashlight and shine it at the speedo cluster it is one of the unused idiot lights. My guess is that's why the "ECO" light doesn't function over 75/120. Just my 2 cents.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-07-2020),Top_Fuel (12-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I tried to watch this more closely this trip. My ECO light went off any time I went over 4,000 rpm, & my 5-speed manual starts to hover at 4,000 rpm when I reach about 80 mph. @ 75 mph the ECO light says on (unless you are climbing a small hill). I think Wisconsin's speed limit max is 70 mph. If traffic is low & weather conditions are good, I try to stay around 75 mph. I find myself going a bit faster at times, because I don't have cruise control.

If I had to drive 75-80 mph every day, I don't the Mirage would be my top vehicle choice. It can surely do that if need be, however.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tried to watch this more closely this trip. My ECO light went off any time I went over 4,000 rpm, & my 5-speed manual starts to hover at 4,000 rpm when I reach about 80 mph. @ 75 mph the ECO light says on (unless you are climbing a small hill). I think Wisconsin's speed limit max is 70 mph. If traffic is low & weather conditions are good, I try to stay around 75 mph. I find myself going a bit faster at times, because I don't have cruise control.

If I had to drive 75-80 mph every day, I don't the Mirage would be my top vehicle choice. It can surely do that if need be, however.
    Have no fear, it handles 75 mph all day long like a champ. No strain or anything really except the hit it takes on gas mileage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man putting it through its paces right out the door. The original reason I got the wife a mirage was trips from NC to Ontario back and forth. Nothing like driving from nc to Canada for $60

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-08-2020),dspace9 (12-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Man putting it through its paces right out the door. The original reason I got the wife a mirage was trips from NC to Ontario back and forth. Nothing like driving from nc to Canada for $60
    To be honest, cross country driving comfortably was the last thing I was expecting from this little munchkin of a car. I'm so enticed by it's performance over this trip I'm actually planning more trips far in excess of this last one for next year I couldn't be a happier Mirage owner!