Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First cross country trip in my 2019 ES!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

First cross country trip in my 2019 ES!

This was the first time I took my new-to-me 2019 on any type of road trip, and boy it was a good one

I did a round trip from the Bronx, NYC to many, MANY locations all over Florida helping a friend move into his new house. The trip totaled 3015 miles, I averaged just about 38 mpg using my usual heavy foot (I average 75mph, not ideal for gas mileage but fun for me ) and other than one item, it was trouble free and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

That one issue, and it was pretty significant, was the drivers seat. Despite having a standard height adjust wheel added for 2019, it just wasn't all that comfortable, at all. I resorted, nearly 300 miles into the trip, to getting an overpriced, but butt and back saving, memory foam seat cushion from a Pilot travel center. It worked like magic all but eliminating the pressure point torture the stock foam seat was doing to me. Sadly the damage was done though and I had a sore lower back the entirety of the trip, but I'm thankful it wasn't serious, just uncomfortable.

Now on to the good. I didn't do this trip alone. I had my 6' 6" friend accompany me on the entire trip and he reported the seat was fine for him and he had more than enough head and leg room to not be uncomfortable at all. All of our luggage fit without any issues and we did manage to get plenty of add on stuff during the duration of this little journey and still had no issues storing it all in there. Hatchbacks rule

I found this little trooper had tons of pep, I never once wished for more power, once she got going she did great. As I mentioned, I averaged 75 mph most all the time and I think I made a few folks do double takes as I passed them on I-95 The smallish tank was the only real inhibitor, it forced me to stop more than I thought it would....but the accompanying leg/back stretch was welcome relief on my nearly 250 mile legs. Absolutely fantastic car to travel with!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-07-2020),Eggman (12-07-2020),MirageRally (12-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great review! I too find the seat to be lacking even with the adjustable way on long road trips. Wow your friend is 6"6'??? Cool... I'm 5" 3' and everyone I meet is like a giant compared to me lol.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I stated above, a pretty overpriced, but totally effective, memory foam seat cushion made this trip tolerable. Without it I doubt I would have continued the trip, the stock seat was that bad to my aching rear end/lower back! And yes I'm a bit on the short side myself (5'6"), but with the seat cranked up fully I actually looked taller than him
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 12-07-2020 at 12:06 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, many have tried to put different seats in the Mirage but there are very few that have the added safety airbags in them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Yeah, many have tried to put different seats in the Mirage but there are very few that have the added safety airbags in them.
    I believe that one! The guy I helped move is a master mechanic who had quite a few seats in his shed....we came to the same conclusion, no airbag support killed that idea. No way I'm compromising safety for comfort.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good idea, as small as the Mirage is... I want all the air bags I can muster to protect me in a crash. Almost got hit today and made me realize just how quickly it takes for someone to go over the center lane. These cars are so incredibly thin it's scary sometimes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good idea, as small as the Mirage is... I want all the air bags I can muster to protect me in a crash. Almost got hit today and made me realize just how quickly it takes for someone to go over the center lane. These cars are so incredibly thin it's scary sometimes.
    Absolutely!! I was dodging all manor of piss poor drivers from stupid kids in hopped up rice burners to all sorts of trucks---I actually didn't start feeling safe enough till more than halfway through this trip. Now I'm more comfortable with it on the interstate and would trust this little jewel to get me anywhere.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    from stupid kids in hopped up rice burners
    Ha, I would consider myself in this category at times lol. Although my car is no rice burner. Just an economy car, my first week after buying this car I took it into some hard corners and almost got it up on two wheels... Yeah, you can say after that I drove it according to the law...l now make sure that I'm driving safe, seen to many accidents in high school and see too many accidents now in college.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ha, I would consider myself in this category at times lol. Although my car is no rice burner. Just an economy car, my first week after buying this car I took it into some hard corners and almost got it up on two wheels... Yeah, you can say after that I drove it according to the law...l now make sure that I'm driving safe, seen to many accidents in high school and see too many accidents now in college.
    Oh yes, age and experience have tempered this once upon a time speed demon very well thank you very much As they say, you either learn or burn!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha I'd rather learn than burn lol. I think that's the best feature you'll find with the Mirage: it gives you the illusion of speed so you think you're going fast when really you're not. I feel like a speed Maniac when really I'm just barely breaking the speed limit... It's a very good first car to learn on and know how to repair. if you have any problems let any of us know we'll be happy to help

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post: