Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clutch failure at 99k miles (damper springs were broken)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mirage is probably the easiest car you'll ever work on. Engine and trans weighs 185lbs, if you're a strong guy you dont even need an engine lift

Clutch seems to be trash tho.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    2015 mirage slippage at 105000 miles,was goin to replace it myself ,car jacks but after crawling under to drain the gear oil got dizzy 66 yrs old,cant do it like the old days ,anyhow let the transmission shop do it my parts that l purchased were as follows clutch kit southeastern clutch,pressure plate friction plate throwout bearing,also bought axle seals rock auto,axle nuts oem mitsub.so the whole job cost 750. Plus 75.flywheel resurface+tax .used redline gear oil

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i know this is an old thread but 99k miles to replace a clutch is already pretty impressive thats already a lot of miles, but in my opinion the longevity of clutch components always depends on your driving style, so you shouldn't judge a car because the clutch broke.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsice View Post
    2015 mirage slippage at 105000 miles,was goin to replace it myself ,car jacks but after crawling under to drain the gear oil got dizzy 66 yrs old,cant do it like the old days ,anyhow let the transmission shop do it my parts that l purchased were as follows clutch kit southeastern clutch,pressure plate friction plate throwout bearing,also bought axle seals rock auto,axle nuts oem mitsub.so the whole job cost 750. Plus 75.flywheel resurface+tax .used redline gear oil
    Hello drewsice and welcome to the forum. Thanks for letting us know how your clutch replacement went.

Feel free to make a introductory post, it would be good to hear more about you and your Mirage. According to your join date you’ve made yourself familiar with this place already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    i know this is an old thread but 99k miles to replace a clutch is already pretty impressive thats already a lot of miles, but in my opinion the longevity of clutch components always depends on your driving style, so you shouldn't judge a car because the clutch broke.
    Clutches that aren't abused last a long time. Clutches that are abused don't.

The gentleman with the 2007 Nissan Frontier (that went over 1,000,000 miles a little over a year ago) got 801,000 miles out of his first clutch. That's pretty impressive (regardless of his driving style). Highway miles verses city driving would make a big difference, too!

Steve's cheap plastic car (Mirage manual) went past 300,000+ miles with his clutch. I would be disappointed if my clutch didn't last 200,000+ miles on my Mirage, but I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. I do have a spare clutch cable/serpentine belt stored by my spare tire. I plan on replacing both @ 100,000 miles and keep the originals as spares.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes l am new to the forum, and l really like all the great diy info I have a 2015 de ,bought new as a commuter car and have put 105000 miles on it.Have done all the maintenance on it with the exception of the clutch .Breaks front and rear, filters, and tires and rim's ,so the little red mirage lives on,

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Yes l am new to the forum, and l really like all the great diy info I have a 2015 de ,bought new as a commuter car and have put 105000 miles on it.Have done all the maintenance on it with the exception of the clutch .Breaks front and rear, filters, and tires and rim's ,so the little red mirage lives on,
    Gotta ask...how many times did you adjust the clutch in those 105,000 miles? I have 180,000 miles on my original clutch, and my car is used exclusively for door-to-door delivery.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No adjustments were done, friction plate on the clutch was worn down to the rivits,.The tranny shop said it had another 10,000 miles on the plate but it's, good to catch it early to save the flywheel,pressure plate and throw out bearing had normal wear but all were replaced .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    No adjustments were done, friction plate on the clutch was worn down to the rivits,.The tranny shop said it had another 10,000 miles on the plate but it's, good to catch it early to save the flywheel,pressure plate and throw out bearing had normal wear but all were replaced .
    Was the $750 the total cost of parts/labor to replace everything you listed?

Just double checking. If so, that wasn't bad!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So the 750 labor + flywheel resurface 75,and tax, parts l bought thinkin that l was gonna do the job,but health reasons, could not so in n.y its ok price

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drewsice For This Useful Post:

Mark (07-31-2021)