Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch failure at 99k miles (damper springs were broken)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Yeah...not a lot of info to go on here?!?

The op's first post might explain why his clutch was in pieces after 99K miles...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovevr6 View Post
    ...bought my g4 last year
    ...It is a 5 speed ES model
    ...i like to go fast.
    ...how strong are the axles on the 5 speed model?
    ...I do enjoy launching my car with all 75hp it offers
    ...considering getting a deal on some sticky tires through work to do so with but dont want to embark on such a journey if i will be constantly destroying CVs.
    Ummm...maybe stop worrying about CV joints and start saving up for the next replacement clutch?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-09-2020),daleWV (12-10-2020),Fummins (12-09-2020)

Yeah that'll do it. Reminds me of guys on the Teryx forum that get mad and cry about being in the hospital when they launch their 1600lb sxs off a jump and it lands on the front of the roll cage folding it backwards.
    I managed to destroy a brand new clutch and flywheel in 20,000kms in a 97 dodge that made 50lb/boost. I drove like a retard for 1 year, mission accomplished. I didn't cry and blame the clutch, I was a cheap ass and didn't want to put a $1500 soutbend clutch in it so I went with a stock luk setup lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the clutch doesn't enjoy getting dumped. The fact it survived being beaten for almost 100,000 miles is pretty impressive.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hope the op doesn't feel bullied or emasculated now! I can recommend a good feelings journal that might help if she does.
    Send that journal over to the Covid 19 thread; lots of butthurt over there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-09-2020)

You're welcome

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-09-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovevr6 View Post
    Edit: just wanted to add I thought it would be easy to work on these cars because it makes less torque than a decent impact gun. I expected it to be put together more like a side by side in terms of simplicity considering the small engine.
    Youre the only one i saw saying its hard to work on this cars here.

Im no mechanic like the others in here but im sure this car is easy to maintain and work with, just sayin.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-11-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hope the op doesn't feel bullied or emasculated now! I can recommend a good feelings journal that might help if she does.
    We get alot of one and done postings on here. Sadly, it seems some of them are just bad news post. Like "my car died, its a piece of junk.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-11-2020),poorman1 (01-31-2021)

I guess in the op's defense, it's kinda normal to get pissed off at something they run screaming to the interwebs to cry about it. I know I do it daily.
    There are a few issues I've run into while swapping out transmissions in these cars are pretty minor.

-If you are a lazy slow adult and don't unbend the locking tab for the axle nut you can easily destroy the threads on the axle and maybe the nut too. Easy fix, don't be lazy.
    -I think there is more wiggle room with a 5 speed so maybe this isn't a big issue for them, but to remove a cvt without pulling the suspension crossmember you gotta dick with it a little. A transmission jack with an adjustable weeble and wobble plate helps a ton.
    -The axles don't easily pull out of the transmission. Use a pry bar.
    -When I pull a drivetrain I disconnect the spindle at the control arm rather than the strut. It makes way more sense to do it this way(to me). Obviously pop off the tie rod end too.. It's two nuts, hit the spindle with a good heavy hammer, not some pos tinker toy claw hammer...Pry down on the control arm with a 3 or 4' prybar and pull the spindle away from the ball joint and axle. No dicking with the caliper flopping around pulling on the brake lines etc...less bolts, less time, less chance of screwing something up.
    -When reinstalling, the ball joint or tie rods often spin when tightening the nut making it impossible to tighten. Stick a jack under the ball joint and use a pry bar for the tie rod to stop them from spinning.

I can't think of anything else that'd piss me off enough to cry about that wasn't self induced. Lining up a clutch goes one of two ways quick and easy of you fight with it for hours. Transverse mounted ones can sometimes be more of a pita.

Hopefully the op can take a good roasting and post what he had a hard time with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    While my clutch probably had to be changed in another 10-15k miles (was at around 75k then), it was (parts of) my tranny that gave in. Hard driving and teaching kids how to drive stick are my reasons.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    For Mirage, complete set: LUK part number: 619319100

clutch plate: LUK 319024510

pressure plate: LUK 119021410
    Added this to the Engine & transmission aftermarket parts index.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-12-2020)