Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New member and hopefully a mirage owner w/ a few questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Its 2 biggest weakness highways and hills seems like what you'll mostly be using it for. Might want to look into something with a little more umph for what you need.
    I think it's 2 biggest weaknesses are towing and drag racing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-08-2020),Fummins (12-08-2020)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I think it's 2 biggest weaknesses are towing and drag racing.
    Well I wasnt in fantasy land. I mean 2 things people would actually do with it lol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Dude get the G4. The seats are nicer for all Mirages 2017 and up, your sight lines are better, and the G4 has better rear passenger legroom than many mid-size cars like an Altima. I go back and fourth between my hatch Mirage and my old lady's G4. I prefer the G4 each time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I wasnt in fantasy land. I mean 2 things people would actually do with it lol
    The point being, it doesn't accelerate as well as other cars, so that is a weak spot. And it will not tow as well as other cars, especially trucks, so that is a weak spot.

To me, I think it does GREAT on the interstate. I.E. At 78 mph the 5 speed is spinning ~ 4,000 rpm which is at max torque and it just purrrrrs down the interstate. And hills? In the right gear you go up and it's done ... no drama.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Update: Just scheduled my test drive tomorrow at 9 am, hopefully its not cancelled due to the California stay at home order. My 01 Corolla engine stopped after I exited the freeway after my shift. Luckily it was in front of a stop sign after the exit. It started up and ran after I put it in Park and switched it off before turning the ignition on. Talk about luck.

Thank you all for the response, I will take all of that into consideration and see how it goes. I'm booking a test drive with Chevy to see the Spark as a backup.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmirageowner For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmirageowner View Post
    Update: Just scheduled my test drive tomorrow at 9 am, hopefully its not cancelled due to the California stay at home order. My 01 Corolla engine stopped after I exited the freeway after my shift. Luckily it was in front of a stop sign after the exit. It started up and ran after I put it in Park and switched it off before turning the ignition on. Talk about luck.

Thank you all for the response, I will take all of that into consideration and see how it goes. I'm booking a test drive with Chevy to see the Spark as a backup.
    Yeah man, you need to be done with that. Thats very unsafe. A guy a sold a car to died in a situation like that. His car died on interstate (no the car I sold him another one of his cars ) and he thought he had it figure out. He was getting back on the interstate it die again and he was hit by a big rig truck. Dont put your life in danger to save a few bucks man. Get rid of that car of get it fixed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmirageowner View Post

HMO - I think your plan is reasonable. Although, you may want to keep the following in mind. I believe the Spark is probably going to drive with more pep than the Mirage. Heck, it may feel like a more solid vehicle, I dunno, I've never driven one. But most people are going to end up strongly disliking a vehicle (regardless of its performance) if it is not reliable. And that's what I fear with a GM Product (except *maybe* particular GM trucks). And the word on the street is, the Spark is not as reliable as the Mirage. That means something to me. I'll take mpg and reliability over pep any day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    HMO - I think your plan is reasonable. Although, you may want to keep the following in mind. I believe the Spark is probably going to drive with more pep than the Mirage. Heck, it may feel like a more solid vehicle, I dunno, I've never driven one. But most people are going to end up strongly disliking a vehicle (regardless of its performance) if it is not reliable. And that's what I fear with a GM Product (except *maybe* particular GM trucks). And the word on the street is, the Spark is not as reliable as the Mirage. That means something to me. I'll take mpg and reliability over pep any day.
    When I worked at advance they used the spark s a delivery vehicle. Take it with a grain of salt but, these things were broken all the time. They had one that needed a new transmission after 20k. The transmission always felt like **** in them. The feel just as slow and cheap too. They certainly are more peppy though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I worked at advance they used the spark s a delivery vehicle. Take it with a grain of salt but, these things were broken all the time. They had one that needed a new transmission after 20k. The transmission always felt like **** in them. The feel just as slow and cheap too. They certainly are more peppy though.
    Yeah, I was considering the Spark along with the Mirage when I was looking around, as well. The Spark definitely has a much nicer interior and is no doubt more fun to drive.

However, it struck me that the Spark seemed like more of a traditional "punishment box" than the Mirage. Yeah, the interior was nicer, but it had roll up windows. In 2020. GM definitely wanted to remind you that you were a cheap ******* every time you got into the car, and that, had you just worked a little harder, you could have afforded those power windows.

By contrast, while equally cheap, the Mirage really isn't missing any huge features in the base model. It's also much roomier inside (at least it felt that way to me). Yeah, it's noisier and slower, but it's nothing I can't live with.