Thread: Bluetooth quality adjustment

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Red face Bluetooth quality adjustment

Got my car a week ago, 2020 Mirage ES and calls sounded great. Today both ends were having difficulty with the “tunnel” sound and distinguishing conversation. Is there a setting I may have adjusted by accident? Thanks all!

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, that (unfortunately) sounds about right.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't even use the Bluetooth in my car... I use a Bluetooth headset that pairs to my phone bc my car Bluetooth gets jumbled and it's hard to hear.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    interesting comment @MirageRally - in my car, Bluetooth music sounds HiFi while FM sounds very aweful.

I enjoy listening to the stock system bluetooth enough that the only reason why I want to change my Head Unit is to make it easier to change radio.com stations.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Long story short, there is no setting on the radio. It is what it is.

If y'all really want to get into a big discussion about BT sound quality, here is a quick crash course in BT codecs. My phone will display whenever it is connected via aptX, and no such pop-up has ever appeared for me in the Mirage, so I'm pretty sure we're down at bargain basement SBC. So, basically, no point in busting out your FLAC's if you're listening over BT.

Even beyond the codecs, BT is such a weird and ill-defined protocol with so many extensions that support from manufacturers when it comes to OS drivers and chipset firmware is all over the board. Again, if you look at that article, you can see that even things like latency vary significantly just in the case of (in their testing) phone manufacturer and model. If you had no issue with the connection to start with, but are suddenly now hearing some significant changes, my guess is there is something that your phone is doing, not the radio, that has caused the change. However, your ability to actually access information about the BT connection or change settings is very limited, so I wish you the best of luck.

I actually have a doctorate in Computer Engineering and have worked with BT chipsets and the protocol itself in the past, and I am amazed that anything BT even works at all. If you ever find anything BT that works reliably, grab onto it and never let go!