Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looooong shifter...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, just like with a weighted shift knob, you have to be cognizant of the fact that you can apply a lot more force to the shifter without realizing it. "Don't force it."

That extra length is also amplifying the throw.

But, it's an easy bolt-on extension kind of thing. If you don't like it, you can always remove it.

Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I don't know if 10" is long enough! I want ~shoulder height.

I'll do some measuring and see if it would work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I don't know if 10" is long enough! I want ~shoulder height.
    Buy two??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I've found an 18" that might work. Gonna break out the tape measure and just get an idea.

I'm thinking a height between the elbow and shoulder. Something like that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm gonna bet that if you place it that high, you'll end up grabbing the stick in the middle a lot of the time. But, you'll still get the "look" that you're after, and you can always grab the knob for effect.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You may end up punching your radio screen or your passengers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I'm gonna bet that if you place it that high, you'll end up grabbing the stick in the middle a lot of the time. But, you'll still get the "look" that you're after, and you can always grab the knob for effect.
    I tried to steal your quote for my signature but it doesn't work. I think the internet is broken.

Wait a minute.......

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, geez.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Longer shifter=more leverage. Less effort to shift. I've seen super truckers cut their shifters down to have a shorter throw. Because race car.
    Most experienced truckers float the gears without clutching, but you can't avoid double-clutching up and down the gears for a class A CDL road test. When you are new to double clutching & hitting the RPMs correctly on each shift, you are constantly being reminded by your instructor to be gentle. If you can't shift gently with two fingers on the shift knob, you probably aren't doing something right.

Cutting the shifter down on a large semi truck that has a range selector or splitter on it would involves some extra work, but I don't doubt it has been done.

When I think of a longer shifter, I think of my school bus driver as a kid. We would all yell, "if you can't find them grind them" every time he messed up. I think we did it just to tick him off some more. I haven't seen a manual school bus in several decades, however.

I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer" on the long shifter for a Mirage. I just suggest experimenting with it some before going all out to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Most experienced truckers float the gears without clutching, but you can't avoid double-clutching up and down the gears for a class A CDL road test. When you are new to double clutching & hitting the RPMs correctly on each shift, you are constantly being reminded by your instructor to be gentle. If you can't shift gently with two fingers on the shift knob, you probably aren't doing something right.

Cutting the shifter down on a large semi truck that has a range selector or splitter on it would involves some extra work, but I don't doubt it has been done.

When I think of a longer shifter, I think of my school bus driver as a kid. We would all yell, "if you can't find them grind them" every time he messed up. I think we did it just to tick him off some more. I haven't seen a manual school bus in several decades, however.

I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer" on the long shifter for a Mirage. I just suggest experimenting with it some before going all out to change it.
    I suggest a shifter that's at least 4' high. And cut notches as needed into the roof so you can shift it.
    There's nothing that needs to be changed that can't easily be reversed. Unscrew a knob and thread on an extension. Or make your own. Grinders and paint make me the welder I ain't.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)