Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looooong shifter...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts

Looooong shifter...

Guys,

I'm a fan of long shift levers. Mostly these are implemented in trucks. In some cases they stick up about head height. I know they're ridiculous. But they're just for giggles. I was thinking about getting one that's about shoulder level.

I would still want the stock mirage shift knob on it. I haven't looked into this at all. Just considering doing it, just for giggles. Not for sporting around. Don't know why, it just seems interesting to me. So, why not?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    You need dis:

Name:  this-samurai-sword-gear-stick-shifter-is-the-only-proper-way-for-a-ninja-to-drive-thumb.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  32.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (12-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its your car. Make it whatever you want!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-11-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You would have liked the feeling of my VW Rabbit's shifter, then. Cardio workout to drive that car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ahhhhh long shifters. Nothing like having something to impale yourself on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Guys,

I'm a fan of long shift levers. Mostly these are implemented in trucks. In some cases they stick up about head height. I know they're ridiculous. But they're just for giggles. I was thinking about getting one that's about shoulder level.

I would still want the stock mirage shift knob on it. I haven't looked into this at all. Just considering doing it, just for giggles. Not for sporting around. Don't know why, it just seems interesting to me. So, why not?
    There's a big difference between a long shifter reaching to the floor of a truck or semi compared to a small car like a Mirage. Trucks have a longer throw between gears. I just learned how to drive a 10-speed manual semi this past September. I've owned manuals my entire driving life, & I found it a challenge.

Duct tape part of a broom handle to your current shift lever & tell us what you think of it after a few days. I am being serious, too. Strap on something longer to what you currently have & try rowing through the gears, & tell us how much you love it! Should you grind gears, you'll have the extra leverage needed to do a better job of it, too!

Do a 0-60 mph timing before & after adding the shifter & share that, too! Good luck!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I have used an Eaton-Fuller 18 speed manual. No problem. I don't want a silly samurai handle. I don't want a sharp object. I'm not planning on trying to win any drag races. I of course want a longer throw ... but just for fun. I don't care if it takes longer to shift, I'm never in a hurry driving this thing.

Oooooh, maybe I can 3D print a prototype and attach it to the existing shifter in the same manner the shift knob attaches (caveat - I don't know how the knob mounts). At the very least in an effort to identify where I want the repositioned knob to sit.

Just searched it, saw it is just threaded on.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 12-11-2020 at 06:25 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Ok, how about this and use the OEM knob.

https://www.amazon.com/Racing-M12X1-...7715780&sr=8-1

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There's a big difference between a long shifter reaching to the floor of a truck or semi compared to a small car like a Mirage. Trucks have a longer throw between gears.
    Longer shifter=more leverage. Less effort to shift. I've seen super truckers cut their shifters down to have a shorter throw. Because race car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)