Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looooong shifter...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to the mods. Thanks for cleaning up my error. I knew when I posted it it was too much.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-12-2020),inuvik (12-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I put a tape measure on top of shifter, and a 12" length would be about perfect. So, a 10" would suffice I suppose. I estimated 12" to 16" would be perfect.

It also looks like a straight extension may work, but the shift knob would be at least close to the touch screen. I don't think it will touch, but what it will do is block off me being able to see the whole screen, or touch it conveniently without dodging the knob. It would be nice to find an extension with a jog in it to move it back somewhat.

If I like the extension, I just may go and make a custom one. I'll keep you all posted. Don't hold your breath, I tend to move slow on this kind of stuff.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ordered a 10" shifter extension. It came in but I ordered the wrong thread size. It would however sit on there and let me shift.

So I drove around today with it until I shipped it back. It was fun and interesting. It did not touch the screen like I suspected it might. But it does reside a few inches back of the screen while in 3rd and 5th.

I ordered a 10" with the correct thread. I'm sort of kicking around bending it toward the passenger ... just a little. Maybe one knob width to the right. It was a bit to close to me in use. Nothing major. Just seemed like it should be a bit farther away. And if it were one knob width to the right, it should be just clear of the screen while I'm cruising in 5th.

To get a feel for the height (I'll take pictures later), when I was standing about 30 feet out in front of the car, I could just see the top of the knob through the front window. The height is good. I wonder if about 3 more inches would be perfect...

We shall see.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I don't know if 10" is long enough! I want ~shoulder height.

I'll do some measuring and see if it would work.
    Must....not.....crack.....inappropriate......joke. ........aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggh!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-27-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I did this once, I cut some slots in the bottom of a piece of pvc pipe so it could grab the metal rod with two hose clamps and made my shifter really long, about as high as the top of the dash, it was fun for a while, but there wasn't a lot of "feel" obviously and the throw was enormous, normally I prefer having the shifter as short as possible (maybe) and having the throw as small as possible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did get a long shifter. And I do use it daily. As far as the shifting goes, I really like it. The feel is smooth and nice. And I like seeing the shifter and my hand, and seeing the shifter without having to look down for it.

A couple drawbacks, this one places the shift knob near the top of the touch screen. So the screen is largely blocked out when in 1st and 3rd. And, this shifter has too large of an O.D. just under its threads, so the knob will not thread down.

I'd like to build my own and maybe even sell some. But I think the demand would be too low. The things I would do different:

• Change the height to just under the touch screen.
    • Of course make it where the knob would thread down and tighten.
    • Add a hex shape to the bottom so that a wrench could be used to snug / torque the extension on.