Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: POV Drive

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Your camera pretty much followed the way you were looking. If you watch the traffic conditions you can tell you are doing your normal driving thing. I think my Mirage is actually pretty steady in bad weather. Even though the steering really has got no feel to it. However I think my Mirage does a good job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-14-2020),MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I can't imagine to now. Most have to work from home and now have to battle other people watching videos. Working from home can be great but only if you have great internet lol. It's crazy how much we become dependent on technology... Example I saw a couple the other day as I was walking at the park and what are they doing? Texting each other... While walking side by side...!!! Um-uh-huh...What! Kids won't even look up from their phones nowadays... It's gotten so bad....Even to the point where they walk out in front of the street not looking both ways...I had a flip phone until 2019! And if I had my way I wouldn't even have a phone! But ya know in case ya get lost...Might need one.
    Ah, phones nowadays aren't phones anymore, they're pocket PC's. And they're also amazing. Truly, the amount of computing power and access to information that is no further than about 2 feet from your person at any given time these days is incredible. It's completely unprecedented in human history, and we are so lucky to live now when stuff like this is not only possible, but also so common that it's taken entirely for granted. Think about it: smartphones (in their modern form) have only really been around for about a decade. Now think about all the things you do on a daily basis, and imagine trying to do them without a smartphone. I doubt the average person would make it very far.

In any case, I'll drop the discussion of tech here. It's my main passion in life so I could absolutely spend the next several pages/days going into it in detail, but that would completely derail the actual topic of this thread, lol.

So anyway, that video...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hopefully if the weather gets any better I'll take the car on some back roads and even try to get out into the country more and try to shoot another video out that way because that's why I love driving... Some people love tapping their thumbs or shuffling their feet... I just love driving, it calms me down when life gets a little crazy. Can be expensive on the wallet ha but otherwise glad you liked it. It's definitely a different perspective and angle.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Ah, phones nowadays aren't phones anymore, they're pocket PC's. And they're also amazing. Truly, the amount of computing power and access to information that is no further than about 2 feet from your person at any given time these days is incredible. It's completely unprecedented in human history, and we are so lucky to live now when stuff like this is not only possible, but also so common that it's taken entirely for granted. Think about it: smartphones (in their modern form) have only really been around for about a decade. Now think about all the things you do on a daily basis, and imagine trying to do them without a smartphone. I doubt the average person would make it very far.

In any case, I'll drop the discussion of tech here. It's my main passion in life so I could absolutely spend the next several pages/days going into it in detail, but that would completely derail the actual topic of this thread, lol.

So anyway, that video...
    While all the tech is nice I see it as more of a distraction now than ever but see both sides. I used to be in IT (briefly) before going to Accounting... Lol, if I make any more videos I'll be sure to drop them down in this thread.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally
    deal with T-Mobile since they're my service carrier and see if I can just switch to data permanently instead of Wi-Fi... Data would have cut my upload in half instead of WiFi.
    Do it save the money! Since I moved out 2 years ago I've solely hotspotted my internet from my TMobile phone. Yes it is slightly reminiscent to dial up in that you need to open up the hotspotting app and turn it on and then connect the computer to it manually every time. But those are seconds well spent compared to Paying 44.99 a month plus taxes fees and modem rental for even the cheapest 6 megabit home internet money can buy.

Name:  tmobile.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  19.4 KB
    10/1.5 mbit is the speed I enjoy hotspotting with my 3G Nokia C7 Astound, if a reasonably sized phone ever gets produced to replace it (So disappointed in the unrepairable IPhone 12 mini) I seriously would have considered giving up my headphone jack if Tim Cook didn't decide that replacing the display, camera or battery yourself would result in a constant stream or warning messages). If I were to buy a $730 phone you'd be damn sure I'm keeping it long enough that I'll replace the battery a time or two, that blunder single handedly destroyed my interest in a phone I was otherwise excited for. Uhh, but I digress.

I'm sure the speed would be faster with 4/5G.

Do not get the $40 10 gig plan, despite saying it supports "binge on" it does not work, any video traffic still counts against your data.

The $50 unlimited plan is well worth the extra $10, despite saying "speeds slow after 50 gb" I've never noticed it up to 110 gb or so(my max usage). Still 480/720p is the best you can hope for unless you manually set it to 1080 and wait to buffer. But again, is that last little bit of fidelity worth the expense of having a secondary internet connection to enjoy? DVD quality is good enough for me.
    Last edited by MacClyver; 12-14-2020 at 01:39 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is that an iDrive throttle controller I spot on your dash? If so, how well does it work for you? I'm considering one, but the China $85 buck variant I found over on another site. I'll only consider one if they don't cause any CVT damage, although I don't see how this can.
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 12-14-2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: I can't freakin' type anymore (misspelled a word...or two...)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Nice video. I like a calm cool video. Not everything has to be either explosions or comedy.

I have a dash cam in Blueberry Vomit. I have plenty of footage that could be posted. But it's mostly boring. I do have a good bit of time spent at 77-78 mph. I never considered youtubing it because it is mostly boring. However, what I do like about it is that it makes it rather clear just how casual / no-drama the Mirage is at stretching it's legs down the interstate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Is that an iDrive throttle controller I spot on your dash? If so, how well does it work for you? I'm considering one, but the China $85 buck variant I found over on another site. I'll only consider one if they don't cause any CVT damage, although I don't see how this can.
    The iDrive works very well and has both ultimate mode which is power and eco mode for economy. Ultimate mode is no lag whatsoever and makes downshifting a lot more easy for me. You just tap the gas and you're already at almost full RPM... It's that quick. Eco mode just gives the pedal a lot more resistance so you can't give it much throttle...I drove an ultimate mode for a week and then switched over to economy and I literally thought my pedal was broken because that's how much resistance it gave me lol. If it causes you any problems the best thing you can do is always unplug it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Nice video. I like a calm cool video. Not everything has to be either explosions or comedy.

I have a dash cam in Blueberry Vomit. I have plenty of footage that could be posted. But it's mostly boring. I do have a good bit of time spent at 77-78 mph. I never considered youtubing it because it is mostly boring. However, what I do like about it is that it makes it rather clear just how casual / no-drama the Mirage is at stretching it's legs down the interstate.
    Thanks 7milesout, The Mirage can definitely boogie when it wants to, that section when I was going around the turns I was in ultimate mode and had the highest setting on which was nine... And all I had to do was gently give it 10% throttle and it gave me 100% RPM... I will post more videos this week and next as my boss is making me take a vacation... I haven't had a day off in two years and I'll lose my PTO if I don't take it so might as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I use the outside edge of my right foot to blip the throttle, when the rest of my right foot is on the brake pedal. I've done this for 100 years, in every manual vehicle I own and doing this daily in normal every day driving scenarios. It is just 2nd nature to me. I do this also on motorcycles. It is much easier on motorcycles (I use my palm and index finger on the throttle and my last 3 fingers on the front brake lever ... very easy and smooth).

If you're not doing it, of course it is not necessary. But it does allow you to brake slightly and smoothly and let the engine provide some of the braking as well. It just takes some time to get used to, so that you don't push / pulse the brakes when your foot's edge is poking the throttle. And some time to get to the point that you get as much rev as you want from the throttle when you're trying to be smooth on the brake pedal.

Like I said, not necessary, but it is 2nd nature to me. In my truck I get a lot of attention doing this. Because the truck is LAF, and sounds seriously like a big rig. So when I'm in traffic and we're all slowing down and I blip the throttle even while braking ... those who put 2 and 2 together (hey he's braking AND revving simultaneously) sometimes give me a look like, dayim...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah the Mirage is very quiet when downshifting except the engine very buzzy... but otherwise you really can't hear it from the outside. Loren sent me a great video on how to downshift properly and since then it has made me a better driver and I've gotten used to it... Sometimes I even blip the throttle and downshift without even realizing itthat's also why I got the Mirage: the best first brand new car to learn how to drive stick shift and properly maintain. Everything's so easy to get to (for a modern car) and when I first drove the Mirage on a test drive I only stalled once and that was because I forgot to push in the clutch while parking at the dealership. Still stall here and there, lol.

Last edited by MirageRally; 12-14-2020 at 09:47 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-16-2020)