Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POV Drive

Country
    United States
    Thanks

POV Drive

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-13-2020),dspace9 (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Excellent This is such a fun car to drive...when it isn't killing your back that is

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah lol true on that... maybe when I got more time I'll take it on some really twisty roads and do more downshifts and stuff but other than that: it's a pretty fun car... And I love listening to that three cylinder growl. YouTube is an absolute pain to upload... Took two and a half hours for a 5-minute video... Crazy...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah lol true on that... maybe when I got more time I'll take it on some really twisty roads and do more downshifts and stuff but other than that: it's a pretty fun car... And I love listening to that three cylinder growl. YouTube is an absolute pain to upload... Took two and a half hours for a 5-minute video... Crazy...
    I believe that. I had a YT channel for years doing tech review uploads....so happy I stopped that, it was a PITA uploading all the time I actually have a GoPro knockoff that I could use.....this might be fun Or not

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know how professional YouTubers do it now... They have to have like top of line crazy internet or know how to work the system because otherwise it takes forever... I really wanted to use my old camera that would actually clip on in my glasses... But it would only record for 20min which in reality was barely 5 min.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What is your upload rate?

If it is particularly low, you could use a program like Handbrake to compress your videos using a high-efficiency codec (e.g. H.265) before uploading in order to greatly reduce file size with limited impact on video quality. YouTube will usually end up doing another compression pass with a much more lossy codec, anyway, so it's not like you'd be losing much.

The only thing you need to determine is the amount of time it takes to learn how to use the software + actually compress the video versus just being lazy and setting the video to upload overnight. It's a tradeoff of human time vs. computer time. Computer time is generally significantly less valuable.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know how professional YouTubers do it now... They have to have like top of line crazy internet or know how to work the system because otherwise it takes forever... I really wanted to use my old camera that would actually clip on in my glasses... But it would only record for 20min which in reality was barely 5 min.
    I have great speeds here, but anything above 1080p can take forever to upload...it was so much better even 5 years ago on there. Guess they are just overloaded these days.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    I have great speeds here, but anything above 1080p can take forever to upload...it was so much better even 5 years ago on there. Guess they are just overloaded these days.
    I still remember back in 2009 when you could watch movies for free and not have to pay like we do now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    What is your upload rate?

If it is particularly low, you could use a program like Handbrake to compress your videos using a high-efficiency codec (e.g. H.265) before uploading in order to greatly reduce file size with limited impact on video quality. YouTube will usually end up doing another compression pass with a much more lossy codec, anyway, so it's not like you'd be losing much.

The only thing you need to determine is the amount of time it takes to learn how to use the software + actually compress the video versus just being lazy and setting the video to upload overnight. It's a tradeoff of human time vs. computer time. Computer time is generally significantly less valuable.
    Since I live in rural mentor my upload speeds are less than 50 mbs, thanks Windstream...but I'm going to try to get a deal with T-Mobile since they're my service carrier and see if I can just switch to data permanently instead of Wi-Fi... Data would have cut my upload in half instead of WiFi.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    ISP's here in the USA are the worst. Really. They have the ****tiest, most anti-consumer policies out of any companies I have ever personally dealt with. They prey on lack of competition and the average person's ignorance/fear of technology to get away with it. It makes me want to ****ing puke every time I have to deal with it, and should be flat out illegal. The only reason it isn't is because of (1) again, ignorance/fear of technology, and (2) millions/billions spent on lobbying.

The reason uploads take so much longer now is because (1) video files have gotten much larger than they ever used to be and (2) ISP consumer service plans are now hilariously asymmetrical. By that I mean that download speed (which is what they advertise) greatly surpasses the provided upload speed. For example, Comcast's top-of-the-line, 1Gbps plan has an upload rate of... 35Mbps - i.e., your upload rate is just 3.5% of your download rate. Also consider that this is all measured in "bits" instead of the standard "bytes" that we actually use to track file sizes. Written in a more understandable form, you can upload at a rate of only ~4MB/s, assuming no communication overhead. On the most expensive plan you can buy.

I know this country has bigger things to worry about right now, but for ****'s sake, why is **** like this still allowed in 2020.

Last edited by PityOnU; 12-13-2020 at 11:16 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-13-2020),MirageRally (12-13-2020),precisionxt (03-23-2023)