Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why Nissan CVT's FAIL

Country
    Germany
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hello people,
    here thinking to buy a brand new suzuki Ignis with CVT7: is this transmission reliable?? Ignis is very small car with low torque...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I haven't read anything about Suzuki having major issues with the JATCO CVT7. Change the cvt fluid out every 50k km and the 2 filters out every 100k km and chances are you'll be fine for years. But hey your in Germany, why not get a manual Suzuki or Mitsu Space Star?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-18-2021),Eggman (01-18-2021)

I'm still waiting for a Nissan cvt to die of natural causes. I just pulled in a 2018 Nv200 with 329k kms/204k miles. Cvt fluid has been replaced twice(I'm changing a third time right meow). I don't know what model of cvt is in this thing but it is a little different than the Mirage one. I use the same universal cvt fluid for both vehicles.

One other weird thing I find is the fluid I drain from the Nissan cvt's always looks clean and transparent regardless of the time between the last fluid change, while the Mirage fluid is always dark like engine oil that's overdue by a year or two after 30k miles.

On the other forums people complain constantly about how horrible the cvt is in the nv200, even a guy that claimed to have a fleet of them a few hours away from me. Said they were constantly replacing the transmissions until they got rid of them all and for some weird reason bought Caravans instead....
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-23-2022 at 01:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm still waiting for a Nissan cvt to die of natural causes. I just pulled in a 2018 Nv200 with 329k kms/204k miles. Cvt fluid has been replaced twice(I'm changing a third time right meow). I don't know what model of cvt is in this thing but it is a little different than the Mirage one. I use the same universal cvt fluid for both vehicles.

One other weird thing I find is the fluid I drain from the Nissan cvt's always looks clean and transparent regardless of the time between the last fluid change, while the Mirage fluid is always dark like engine oil that's overdue by a year or two after 30k miles.

On the other forums people complain constantly about how horrible the cvt is in the nv200, even a guy that claimed to have a fleet of them a few hours away from me. Said they were constantly replacing the transmissions until they got rid of them all and for some weird reason bought Caravans instead....
    There's only 2 JATCO units right? The CVT7 & CVT8?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    some speculations that ive heard is that because nissan put a bigger and torquer engine on the CVT7 thats why it fails while mitsubishi put it on a 1.2 engine thats why it didn't experience failure like nissan did.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    some speculations that ive heard is that because nissan put a bigger and torquer engine on the CVT7 thats why it fails while mitsubishi put it on a 1.2 engine thats why it didn't experience failure like nissan did.
    we also dont have a turbo that spools up and rapidly increases torque.

The nv200 also weighs like a thousand pounds more empty and has like double the mirages payload capacity(881lb vs 1492 lb). The GVWR is 1862lbs more than the mirage
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    we also dont have a turbo that spools up and rapidly increases torque.

The nv200 also weighs like a thousand pounds more empty and has like double the mirages payload capacity(881lb vs 1492 lb). The GVWR is 1862lbs more than the mirage
    Don't forget Mitsubishi superior CVT programming, INVECS III. The other Mitsu models have less CVT issues than their Nissan counterpart IMO. My ex sister-in-law still drives her 2014 Outlander. Last I asked, she was nearing 200k miles. This was 2 years ago. She has never done 1 CVT fluid change lol. Some people are just lucky with neglecting their cars and still getting high mileage.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Don't forget Mitsubishi superior CVT programming, INVECS III. The other Mitsu models have less CVT issues than their Nissan counterpart IMO. My ex sister-in-law still drives her 2014 Outlander. Last I asked, she was nearing 200k miles. This was 2 years ago. She has never done 1 CVT fluid change lol. Some people are just lucky with neglecting their cars and still getting high mileage.
    yah the proprietary INVECS III or the fuzzy logic the lancer and the outlander both have a 2.0 engine but no CVT issues both F1CJA they even have a 4WD CVT or the W1CJA, if im not mistaken they even have an older lancer the CS3 with CVT variant still runs on the streets of manila up to this day..
    Last edited by allrock; 03-24-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    There's only 2 JATCO units right? The CVT7 & CVT8?
    I don’t know? I see by the other posts that I’m not the only one who can’t read.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don’t know? I see by the other posts that I’m not the only one who can’t read.
    Sorry I meant those are the only 2 JATCO models uses in NA, my bad.