Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And another one (bites the dust)...2015 cvt 260,000km

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Dirk...

The next time the Aamco guy changes your CVT fluid, have him save about 1/4 cup while it's draining out. Then you can send it in to have it analyzed. If something unusual is going on inside your CVT, this will tell you. And it will only cost you $30. Then you can stop worrying.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-17-2020),MetroMPG (12-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just change your fluids at normal intervals and dont beat on the cvt. You'll be fine.

I change my clutch fluid yearly on every car I have.

Also the tried and tune is always the same. If you want reliability drive a manual transmission.
    Last edited by Clessy; 12-17-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Thanks for the comments and support but I think I was misunderstood a bit. I'm far less worried about myself. I work hard as does my wife so we can afford a new or used cvt, well at least for the 2017 G4, not likely the unicorn pre 04/01/14 cvt. But I digress, my issue is the data coming in since 2014. Its anecdotal I guess, but its not looking good these cars lasting to 200k miles from what I can tell. To me, this is unacceptable and we are going backwards in car reliability especially manufacturers that utilize a cvt. So hence fourth I'm ending my propaganda war on youtube and redditt, and I assure you I have hundreds of defending comments lol. No, I can't in good faith, recommend the Mirage CVT to someone who needs Toyota levels of reliability UNLESS they get the manual version. That's all I'm saying. Now I have to do the arduous process of deleting hundreds of comments on reddit and youtube ~ sigh. Don't worry I'll still be supporting my Mirage family with lame anecdotes and asinine humor though lol. Love yall!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You've gotta start a thread about changing clutch fluid on a Mirage! How many people with manual Mirages complain about syncros wearing out with low mileage after being driven by people who seem to know how to properly drive a standard. Nothing is without problems. If a company sold a car that wouldn't break or wear out they wouldn't be in business for very long.
    Maybe theres a lot of sarcasm im missing but pretty sure we've got a thread for both the CVT and the manual on how to change fluids. Also to be fair when I say "I" I mean my friend who has a shop and comps me the fluids for free. I dont pay for oil changes or any fluid services. I sell parts for a living he runs a shop. Its mutually beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thanks for the comments and support but I think I was misunderstood a bit. I'm far less worried about myself. I work hard as does my wife so we can afford a new or used cvt, well at least for the 2017 G4, not likely the unicorn pre 04/01/14 cvt. But I digress, my issue is the data coming in since 2014. Its anecdotal I guess, but its not looking good these cars lasting to 200k miles from what I can tell. To me, this is unacceptable and we are going backwards in car reliability especially manufacturers that utilize a cvt. So hence fourth I'm ending my propaganda war on youtube and redditt, and I assure you I have hundreds of defending comments lol. No, I can't in good faith, recommend the Mirage CVT to someone who needs Toyota levels of reliability UNLESS they get the manual version. That's all I'm saying. Now I have to do the arduous process of deleting hundreds of comments on reddit and youtube ~ sigh. Don't worry I'll still be supporting my Mirage family with lame anecdotes and asinine humor though lol. Love yall!
    Going to let you in a on a secret. No new cars are going to hold up well over 120k miles. They're over engineered and not meant to last outside their warranty in the first place. Another thing i've learned if the average new car buyer gets a new one every 3 years. So they're no where close to the mileage you think you'll get. No one drives cars into the 200k miles anymore. This isnt hte 90's. Sorry to let you down.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Automatic transmissions are the weak point in pretty much all modern vehicles. CVT's especially so. Nissan CVT's especially especially so.

It is worth pointing out that the parts of this car actually made by Mitsubishi seem to be proving highly reliable. It's just the Nissan stowaway us CVT owners need to worry about. This particular CVT is also used (by Nissan) on a fair few vehicles that are significantly more powerful/heavier than ours. Pray for them.

If you are keeping this car for a long time, the first major thing to fail WILL be the CVT, and it'll probably happen between 120-150K miles. Jury still seems out on how long the engine is good for.

In the meantime, the best thing you can do is be proactive and pull a cheap, low mileage trans from a junkyard when you see it come around. I've seen them for as low as $500 with like 15K miles. It is not worth $6K from the dealer.

For me, swapping the trans every 120-150K miles actually seems fine. Not a huge amount of time or money in the grand scheme of things. And for the rest of the time you get to be a lazy asshole like me and not learn how to drive stick, lol.
    Last edited by PityOnU; 12-17-2020 at 05:08 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Nevermind... I give up...
    Help me out here. Are you trying to say clutch fluid shouldnt be the term used as clutch fluid is just brake fluid on a manual car? I want to know the SARCASM. I WANT TO KNOW!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Help me out here. Are you trying to say clutch fluid shouldnt be the term used as clutch fluid is just brake fluid on a manual car? I want to know the SARCASM. I WANT TO KNOW!!!
    There is no clutch fluid. The clutch is cable operated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-17-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Maybe theres a lot of sarcasm im missing but pretty sure we've got a thread for both the CVT and the manual on how to change fluids. Also to be fair when I say "I" I mean my friend who has a shop and comps me the fluids for free. I dont pay for oil changes or any fluid services. I sell parts for a living he runs a shop. Its mutually beneficial.

Going to let you in a on a secret. No new cars are going to hold up well over 120k miles. They're over engineered and not meant to last outside their warranty in the first place. Another thing i've learned if the average new car buyer gets a new one every 3 years. So they're no where close to the mileage you think you'll get. No one drives cars into the 200k miles anymore. This isnt hte 90's. Sorry to let you down.
    Well if what you say is true for the future, we are going to a lot of Americans not going to be able to afford to go to work. If the used market is requesting 10 grand on avg for a Corolla under 5 years old and approaching 100k miles, your suggesting they will more likely than not not last an additional 20k miles? So 10 grand for 20 to 40k miles more on a used Corolla? Man, and I thought I was a cynic lol. I get what your saying about planned obsolescence but there are plenty of used Corollas on carfax etc. for sale way past 200k miles and no history of major powertrain failures at least according to the carfax. Not discounting your input at all, but what happened to the adage that all modern cars should last 200k miles? I know, anecdotal but it's been written multiple times.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Automatic transmissions are the weak point in pretty much all modern vehicles. CVT's especially so. Nissan CVT's especially especially so.

It is worth pointing out that the parts of this car actually made by Mitsubishi seem to be proving highly reliable. It's just the Nissan stowaway us CVT owners need to worry about. This particular CVT is also used (by Nissan) on a fair few vehicles that are significantly more powerful/heavier than ours. Pray for them.

If you are keeping this car for a long time, the first major thing to fail WILL be the CVT, and it'll probably happen between 120-150K miles. Jury still seems out on how long the engine is good for.

In the meantime, the best thing you can do is be proactive and pull a cheap, low mileage trans from a junkyard when you see it come around. I've seen them for as low as $500 with like 15K miles. It is not worth $6K from the dealer.

For me, swapping the trans every 120-150K miles actually seems fine. Not a huge amount of time or money in the grand scheme of things. And for the rest of the time you get to be a lazy asshole like me and not learn how to drive stick, lol.
    I can drive a stick and the pre 04/01/14 CVTs are hard to find used and with low miles on them. It's also difficult to find a shop willing to put one in as they want to warranty a new part.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well if what you say is true for the future, we are going to a lot of Americans not going to be able to afford to go to work. If the used market is requesting 10 grand on avg for a Corolla under 5 years old and approaching 100k miles, your suggesting they will more likely than not not last an additional 20k miles? So 10 grand for 20 to 40k miles more on a used Corolla? Man, and I thought I was a cynic lol. I get what your saying about planned obsolescence but there are plenty of used Corollas on carfax etc. for sale way past 200k miles and no history of major powertrain failures at least according to the carfax. Not discounting your input at all, but what happened to the adage that all modern cars should last 200k miles? I know, anecdotal but it's been written multiple times.
    Let me just further derail this thread:

"Well, Scotty Kilmer says...."

There. That should do it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-17-2020),Fummins (12-17-2020)