Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And another one (bites the dust)...2015 cvt 260,000km

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    There is no clutch fluid. The clutch is cable operated.
    Ah lmao yeah makes me feel like an idiot. I just assumed and didnt even look into it. We didnt do anything to the 2014 we bought new as everything as under warranty and the 2017 we've had for a month. I will however stand behind saying that the key to longevity of any vehicle is maintenance.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Here's an idea, on Reddit when someone conveys sarcasm they use "/s" at the end of the sentence. It helps avoid potential misunderstandings. Example: "Yeah I'm sure your Mirage will last 200k miles. /s" Just a suggestion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @Fummins Is there a chance you could potentially record yourself swapping one of these CVT's so the handier members of the forums might have a guide for if/when they need to do it themselves?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Here's an idea, on Reddit when someone conveys sarcasm they use "/s" at the end of the sentence. It helps avoid potential misunderstandings. Example: "Yeah I'm sure your Mirage will last 200k miles. /s" Just a suggestion.
    Man, you just brought back some memories. The /s was a command to save a message in the pre-internet days on BBS's. I ran A WWIV BBS for years and years and that /s is still something I find myself entering occasionally when I forget what decade I'm currently living in.

As for the failure rate of these CVT Mirages. I'm not sweating it at all. nearly all modern CVT's have a similar failure rate, and sadly, many of the major manufactures actually have a much worse reliability rate. Take good care o fit and hope for the best. The days of a 200K (or 300K) auto 3-speed transmissions are over and we are in the middle of the next big thing. 10 years more to perfection is my best guess. I made the call that at 160,000 miles my little Mirage may need a trans. Keep in mind that many of the cars I work on never make it that long before suffering massive engine failure, trans failure, or utter electrical failure (CAN BUS).

The dirty secret is that no manufacturer really builds perfection right now. The 1996 Toyota Camry was as close as we ever got!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I can't say what other OEMs do beside Toyota and Hyundai-Kia. But Toyota DOES INDEED build them to last. Just as long as they can possibly last. Especially the Camry, it is their bread and butter and they beat themselves silly to get it right. Toyota DOES NOT build them to last just beyond the warranty. That's just plain silly to think that. Why would Toyota do this? Because it is a very rare person indeed who keeps their car for a very long time. Most people want to change cars very frequently. And if you had not 1 lick of trouble out of your vehicle in your (any length of) ownership, you are much more likely to buy the same brand again than to go chance your luck and $ on a Furd (for example).

What does Hyundai-Kia do? Well, they sort of half-arse *try* to copy Toyota.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-18-2020),Macmoto (12-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm guessing there's a lot of repeat customers, look at sales of the Rav4 or
    CR-V? They sell a ton and I'm sure a good chunk of that is repeat customers... Just my .02
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I didn't consider a mfg building something good so people keep coming back. Makes sense. I wonder what percentage of Toyota's sales are from repeat customers? Or any mfg?
    Honda and Toyota have huge repeat sales. One guy use to come and trade out his accord yearly. Always just paid what he was upside down on it and traded for the next year. No clue why. He's trade when there wasnt even any changes to the next years model.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I knew a guy who had 4 brand new trucks in about 6 months. And he kept switching brands. It was somewhat as you described, he kept getting offers from dealers and they "seemed" too good to be true. At least in one case, he had a PowerJoke (new) and it was immediately having DPF problems. Every single truck was a $60k+ truck. And in all 4 cases, within 2 weeks of showing up with each of those new trucks, he had ugly fender flares added, then had the ugly fender flares and bed sprayed with Linex. 4 friggin times! That guy knew how to blow money!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I pulled the engine and transmission from a wrecked 2017 yesterday. It was hit right in the battery so everything is pretty crusty and looks like ****. I've got other crap to do today so probably won't get to pulling the junk one from the 2015 til later today or Monday. I'll throw it on the bench with the other 2. I think I have 2 more junk ones on a pallet somewhere? If so this would be the 5th one that I've replaced and one was replaced under warranty. Don't tell Dirk!!
    What's your estimate # on your fleet size Fummy?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't consider a mfg building something good so people keep coming back. Makes sense. I wonder what percentage of Toyota's sales are from repeat customers? Or any mfg?
    Lotttttttsssss. The richest man I ever knew drove a 5 year old Camry to work every day. When he retired he gave that one to his brother and went and bought another used Camry. Realistically the best 4 door sedan on the planet precisely for the reasons 11.2654kilometersout stated.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-18-2020)