Thread: Key ignition on CVT

Country
    Belgium
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Key ignition on CVT

Hello,
    I know this is basic but I am a beginner. I have two questions on how to properly turn the key to start a Mirage ES (Invite) CVT, 1.2

1/ I heard that we must turn the key to "ON" (second) position, then wait a couple seconds before turning to « Start » (third) position. This lets fuel gets to the motor and gets under pressure as it needs since every car is now fuel injected. Also results in a smoother start. Just turn the key all the way to « Start» position will result in fouled spark plugs which will require a replacement of the starter sooner than it should be.
    Is it correct and do you do like this too ?

2/ I heard when turning the key to «Start» position, you must release the key rigth after the engine starts. If you hold on «Start» too long it can damage the spark plug. Therefore I am scared of turning the key too hard making me sometimes release it too soon and the engine won't start.
    Any tips on the correct way to do it?
    Thank you.

Last edited by Charlot; 12-16-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlot View Post
    Hello,
    I know this is basic but I am a beginner. I have two questions on how to properly turn the key to start a Mirage ES (Invite) CVT, 1.2

1/ I heard that we must turn the key to "ON" (second) position, then wait a couple seconds before turning to « start » position. This lets fuel gets to the motor and gets under pressure as it needs since every car is now fuel injected. Also results in a smoother start. Just turn the key all the way to « Start» (third) position will result in fouled spark plugs which will require a replacement of the starter sooner than it should be.
    Is it correct and do you do like this too ?

2/ I heard when turning the key to «Start» position, you must release the key rigth after the engine starts. If you hold on «Start» too long it can damage the spark plug. Therefore I am scared of turning the key too hard making me sometimes release it too soon and the engine won't start.
    Any tips on the correct way to do it?
    Thank you.
    Just turn the key to the start position and hold until the engine starts and then release. You don't need to touch the throttle and you don't need to to leave the key in the "On" position before starting either. No damage to the spark plugs will occur.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Charlot (12-18-2020)

What he said^
    The Mirage's we have over here have an anti-grind feature that kills power to the starter once it senses the engine is running. So you can just turn the key to start and hold it for a minute or 10 with no damage to the starter or flywheel.

If you release the key before the car is started you risk flooding the engine. Contrary to unpopular believe flooding can happen with fuel injected engines The Mirage is the only fuel injected vehicle I've seen this happen to that doesn't have a mechanical problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Charlot (12-18-2020)