Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st mpg record

Country
    United States
    Thanks

1st mpg record

I'm still working on deciding on a conservative trip meter error to calculate, if any at all, which has measured 1.4-1.5 percent pessimistic three times versus gps, so I'm not yet going to log it; but my first manual calculation that I feel confident reporting not including a possible trip meter error was yesterday. I recorded 44.6 versus 48.2 on the "B" mpg average display.

This was a very favorable tank of gas conducive to high mpg, because it included a trip of about 140 miles on state routes 50-59 mph on a nice clear, fairly warm day, and a secind trip that was colder for about 120 miles on the interstate at 65 mph. Most of the miles included driver and passenger. The only thing that was not favorable was the temps. I'm satisfied but not ecstatic. I was hoping this car would match my old 1.9L diesel-powered Jetta, but it's not quite going to get to the level of that
    100 peak hp, 177 peak torque @ 1800 RPM TDI; 3198 curb weight Jetta with .31 drag coefficient published. My one hope is that this vehicle does much better in warm weather versus cold weather than most of the other vehicles I've owned. I've observed that it takes it a while after starting out cold for the mpg to climb, so I have hope for better warm weather performance, which would raise the overall average.

I am very satisfied and surprised so far with it's driving dynamics and comfort. Seat cushion needs a bit more cushion, but that will soon be remedied by an aftermarket solution for cheap.
    I should note that the 2006 Jetta cost $22K back then and it cost a huge bundle to have any sort of work done on it, because it was a VW. It was also a sedan, which I no longer have a use for.

Last edited by gregsfc; 12-18-2020 at 01:33 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregsfc For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-22-2020),MetroMPG (12-22-2020),MirageRally (12-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    We must be cousins. For the longest time, I wanted a 2003 Jetta TDI manual. But just before I left Toyota I procured a 2004 Corolla 5-speed. It was lower TCO, and especially for me since I got a huge discount on it as an employee. I had that car until the wife got T-Boned in it in 2019. And it still ran fine after the T-Boning. Yet the left side doors were no longer functioning. I drove it for a while all crunched up. Had to climb over from the passenger side. Not easy for a Shrek. But I got descent at it. Got lots of looks driving such a damaged car, but it drove really well. But I did eventually sell it for like $900. A heckuva car that was.

Look at it like this. You may buy a squirt more fuel for the Mirage, but that old Jetta will never come close to the TCO of the Mirage.

All vehicles start off (with a cold engine) in a richer fuel trim ... like a choke. So yes, they'll use more fuel until they warm up. Which makes me wonder. I wonder how much the mpg might increase by regular use of block heater? I think it was an option for this vehicle. I wonder if it might be an easy add. Time to do a search...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post
    ...I've observed that it takes it a while after starting out cold for the mpg to climb...
    You can help fix that with a block heater.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-22-2020),Eggman (12-18-2020),MetroMPG (12-22-2020)

Or one of these https://shopcummins.ca/collections/w...12745918611558 I have one in my truck. It worked great in the winter when I couldn't plug it in. Fired right up and had instant heat, no worry about winter road snakes chasing you down the road. I don't know if they make one that burns gas, I think they might all burn diesel. Nothing a jerry can strapped to the roof can't fix.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Yeah, I found that GREAT thread Top_Fuel. You hit a homerun with that one. Me living in a milder climate, it's really not necessary.

It would be nice if there were a more ... I don't know, *automated* way to have the heater set to operate (versus having to get out and plug it in and remember to disconnect it). My Ram has a block heater. And if I know I'm going to fire it up on a cold morning, I will plug it in via a timer and have it warm 2 or 3 hours before I fire it up. Makes a HUGE difference. But for the Mirage ... it may not be worth the trouble, unless it were more automated (but wouldn't know how to achieve that). It would be cool to have some kind of big wireless method ... like sitting a phone on a wireless charger in automotive form.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ 7milesout. We've crossed paths somewhere before. I remember your screen name from somewhere. Yeah; we must have gone to different schools together lol.

I traded the ten year old Jetta TDI for the F150 pickup that I've referrenced here, because we had spent nine years truckless and decided to get one again, but didn't want to go back to 18 mpg, and I had no desire for a popular, fancy, luxury, off-roading sort of pickup that are so popular for piles of money, but we wanted something modern. Beginning in 2015, there started to emerge some pickup/power trains that interested me for a good price; good fuel economy; and great refinement. GM had announced in 2014 that beginning in the 2015 model year, they'd offer their all-new Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon with a 4 cylinder diesel. The starting MSRP for one of those base trucks, 4 cylinder gas power train, was under $21K, so I waited and hoped for a basic extra cab, mid sized pickup with a diesel and a 6 foot bed for no more than $28K; but when it came out for 2015, the little Duramax option started at $36K with a 5' bed and four big doors and even more money for a six foot bed and also four big doors. I wanted a 6' bed and had no use for four big doors and had no interest in paying for a bumch of luxury, convenience, and advanced towing features which was required to get a little diesel pickup. GM wouldn't allow it in an extra cab or in a lower trim, so my hopes were dashed for a little diesel pickup. In retrospect, I'm glad that I never got a diesel due to all the complication and reliability concerns that have come with "clean" diesel vehicles. Not like my 2006 that had none of that crap on it and did not emit black smoke.b

But around that same time, Ford was offering a new downsized gas turbo engine option that same model year for the F150 for $800 that wouldn't offer the same FE benefit, but would offer base-engine-like FE but with far better mid-range torque, which equates to higher refinement for driving dynamics. I ended up finding a new Standard cab, 2wd, standard bed, XL; very dark green for $27.8K out the door, but they basically stole my Jetta for four grand. It's basically a work truck but not white with only chrome bumpers and the minimum convenience option you can add, because that's the only way to get cruise and power windows. So I had spent a year waiting for that "announced" diesel and then switched over to a type of engine I'd never owned before. Five years later, I think it was a good decision except that I should have sold the TDI myself and then took cash to get the truck.

Now I have one of the lightest-weight pickups one can buy with the smallest engine, and the lightest new car one can buy with the smallest engine. They are also each the highest non hybrid, non diesel mpg vehicles on the market according to the EPA estimates at the time that I bought them anyway (The current Ranger beats my truck nowadays but just barely). The truck, however, is the quickest stock truck one can buy; whereas the car is probably the slowest.

I might look into a block heater option but then you're using energy to save energy, although there are other benefits. I know all vehicles burn rich while they warm up, but I've found a huge difference between vehicles with respect to how poorly they do in cold weather versus warm weather. I'm no physics-minded person, but in my mind, a couple of things that may minimize this effect in my current truck is that half its block is made of graphite composite iron; and then also, maybe, it may not be as thermally efficient as some other engines. One would think that a little diesel engine would be poor in this regard due to diesels being so much more thermally efficient, but it actually didn't lose a whole lot in cold weather. Maybe the iron block helped get it to operating temp pretty quickly but I rememner waiting several miles to get heat in the cabin. I'm actually hoping that the Mirage is a cold-weather gas sucker relative to other vehicles I've owned, because, if that's true, I'm going to see better numbers this Spring and Summer and early Fall that what I've observed so far.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ gregsfc,
    Yeah my MPG has started to climb ever since I got the car...as things break in and wear correctly you should get better MPG... As with weather conditions, wind and everything else that definitely affects MPG... Also l see you're in Tennessee huh? I've been to Dale Hollow lake on a "houseboat" with my family before and it was a blast: jet skiing there (was the first time I got the need for speed on a jet ski...got it up waayyy past mph and was really fun), and jumping off of little cliffs (was very scary at first but once you hit the water it was okay...usually)...good times.... You ever been there?
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I work right below Dale Hollow Dam at the Dale Hollow National Fish Hatchery; which runs right along side of the Obey River. There is a Corps of Engineer campground between our Hatchery and the river.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gregsfc For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    WOW, what are the chances of that!? My uncle showed us the dam and where the hatchery was so I may have even seen you... Was a year ago but still... Cool
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

gregsfc (12-20-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Yeah, I found that GREAT thread Top_Fuel. You hit a homerun with that one. Me living in a milder climate, it's really not necessary.

It would be nice if there were a more ... I don't know, *automated* way to have the heater set to operate (versus having to get out and plug it in and remember to disconnect it).
    You could get a plug for your car like fire, ambulances etc use. They auto-eject the plug when you start the engine. You could also get a switch you could control with your phone to turn it on & off. You would still have to plug it in yourself tho...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-22-2020)