Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kumho Solus all weathers, so tricky to find at a store store

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Kumho Solus all weathers, so tricky to find at a store store

My "tire situation" in short is that I want to buy All-Weather 14" tires by Vredestein or Kuhmo, and I find most stores don't carry them. Canadian tire carries Kuhmo, so I will visit tomorrow and see if they can order them in for me. I won't bother calling.

Thanks to forum folks who gave me some tips regarding online car parts stores out of Canada. I'd rather get in person if I can... I will have to be selective what county I buy in because mine is better with the old covid than other counties nearby with more people and infections and more closures.

If I can, easier route for me is just order tires in person, somehow; I am picky though, only wanna buy new all-weathers by either Vredestein brand, or Kuhmo, both tires that aren't that popular here and especially not in 14 inch. No tire swapping for me twice a year.

However I watched Bundesliga soccer all day today from Germany live, and I saw ads for both tire brands on the moving billboards they have in the stadium. Anyway harder tires to find at the big chain tire stores in Canada. Walmart is my next store I'll try. Cheers

I can see this becoming a screw up because the Kumho tire says all-weather, but is listed under all season. And there is another all season Kumho tire for sale at Canadian tire that is also 14 inch and all season, but apparently does not fit the Mirage. Entirely different tire.
    So I just gotta get specific.

Last edited by dspace9; 12-20-2020 at 06:12 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My "tire situation" in short is that I want to buy All-Weather 14" tires by Vredestein or Kuhmo, and I find most stores don't carry them. Canadian tire carries Kuhmo, so I will visit tomorrow and see if they can order them in for me. I won't bother calling.

Thanks to forum folks who gave me some tips regarding online car parts stores out of Canada. I'd rather get in person if I can... I will have to be selective what county I buy in because mine is better with the old covid than other counties nearby with more people and infections and more closures.

If I can, easier route for me is just order tires in person, somehow; I am picky though, only wanna buy new all-weathers by either Vredestein brand, or Kuhmo, both tires that aren't that popular here and especially not in 14 inch. No tire swapping for me twice a year.

However I watched Bundesliga soccer all day today from Germany live, and I saw ads for both tire brands on the moving billboards they have in the stadium. Anyway harder tires to find at the big chain tire stores in Canada. Walmart is my next store I'll try. Cheers

I can see this becoming a screw up because the Kumho tire says all-weather, but is listed under all season. And there is another all season Kumho tire for sale at Canadian tire that is also 14 inch and all season, but apparently does not fit the Mirage. Entirely different tire.
    So I just gotta get specific.
    I am not sure which tire you are referring to exactly, but in my area I would approach a local small town mechanic that also deals in tires. Most of these guys have very few tires in stock, but they can get them in a day or two. Let's say you want this particular tire -

https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/k...olus-ha31/3996

If they don't have exactly what you want, I wouldn't feel bad asking them how much it would cost to mount/balance the tires if brought in from an outside source?

Big discount store have a buy 4 get one free sale, but you have to use their services to get that deal. Some places hose you on the other charges. I've found my local small tire shops to be cheaper in the end. The difference was $80 less for a set of 4 tires mounted/balanced verses the buy the 4 get one free deal in my area.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-20-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark. I am looking for a bricks and mortar store that sells Kumho, and Vredestein, All-Weathers. I just don't want to buy tires online. Looks like I might have to.

So far I found a store that sells Hankook's, and a store that sells Nordman. I would like to get All-Weather's, however.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Thanks Mark. I am looking for a bricks and mortar store that sells Kumho, and Vredestein, All-Weathers. I just don't want to buy tires online. Looks like I might have to.

So far I found a store that sells Hankook's, and a store that sells Nordman. I would like to get All-Weather's, however.
    Isn't that what Mark is suggesting - to call your local brick & mortar store and see what they can do for you?

For one tire replacement years ago I called and called around for the best offer of a specific set of tires and the dealer had the best price installed & out the door. Go figure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-20-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yep I understand. I have to re-read everything a few times these days, sorry. Can't be a good sign! Sigh.

I think some garages/dealers will sell specific brands (KalTire seems to sell Nordman and Pirelli's), but maybe they can special order anything for the customer?

Or does the shop that sells Hankook 14" winters, only sell that brand? In any case there are lots of winter tires for Mirage's but I want all-weather.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Yep I understand. I have to re-read everything a few times these days, sorry. Can't be a good sign! Sigh.
    Might want to lay off the Labatts?? haha. Still can't find your favorite around these parts. Road trip! Whenever the border opens.

I think some garages/dealers will sell specific brands (KalTire seems to sell Nordman and Pirelli's), but maybe they can special order anything for the customer?

Or does the shop that sells Hankook 14" winters, only sell that brand? In any case there are lots of winter tires for Mirage's but I want all-weather.
    Doesn't hurt to ask.

You're gonna have the coolest set of tires after all your hard work & research.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes you're right Eggman, I need to quit drinking beer. I'm like the dude who founded Trivial Pursuit. His obituary said his best friend was the bar stool. I know some gears are still working since I can nail lots of obscure questions on Jeopardy every night, even ones that stump all the contestants. Anyway.

I could find the all-weathers I want in Port Huron for sure. If I could go to Port Huron I would. Even order ahead using my credit card.

But really I need to stop making excuses, and just spend the money and buy winter tires . Who cares the brand, I will be trying another brand once they wear out eventually. Tires always wear out, I can always bet on that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Like Eggman suggested, I was trying to suggest a way for you to get exactly what you want.

1. I would select a couple all-weather tires you are most interested in. Visit a tire shop & see what they can do for you? They may be able to get exactly what you want in spite of the odd tire size for a Mirage. A small town place can't invest a lot of money in inventory, but they can get tires quickly. Most times, it's the next day because they have suppliers bringing them tires all the time.

2. If they can't help you, they will be understanding of your situation & more inclined to help with the installation of tires brought in without it being an issue. I know my local guys will charge about $10/tire to mount & balance anything I bring in myself. I don't think that's any more than if I bought the tires from them.

This may sound silly, but I somewhat ask the OTD price of new tires mounted & balance on rims now. I don't care for sales gimmicks & some places are doing that these days. Local shops are more up front & honest. If I pick up a screw or nail, they will plug/patch it from the inside for $15. I like supporting these guys. Some I consider friends almost. One owner & I use to play on a volleyball team together for years. I coached both of his daughters in basketball & had them in class. My situation may be different, but local tire shop are very competitive. They know the tire market quite well.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Walmart for tire purchases & mounting/balancing, too.

Let's say I want to buy the 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires from tirerack.com. I get what all-weather tires like these are. They are better than all-season in winter. A good choice for someone who has to deal with snow & only wants one set of tires. Tirerack.com has tire installers all over the country. They would find the nearest installer and gladly ship them there, too. Not sure how Canada works, but places like Quattro tires may do the same?

Personally, I would have done this sooner rather than later. Why are you dinking around with us? It's tire season & these type of tires sell right now. Once inventory is gone, restocking brands from other countries may take some time. I'm sure COVID doesn't help either. It's almost Christmas & you live in Canada.

I made sure I had my winter tires for Wisconsin done months ago, but I just put them on my Mirage a couple weeks ago. My Subaru snow tires, however, have been on for quite some time. I have a plan B for extreme snow. You don't even have that. My Mirage would be useless in the winter without decent tires on it. I wouldn't make it to my neighbors some days, & I am sincere in saying that.

I have never owned a vehicle in over 3 decades that had just one set of tires. I need newer tires on during the winter months, & I want to wear out those older tires during the summer months. That requires extra pairs or sets.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-20-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes you're right Eggman, I need to quit drinking beer. I'm like the dude who founded Trivial Pursuit. His obituary said his best friend was the bar stool. I know some gears are still working since I can nail lots of obscure questions on Jeopardy every night, even ones that stump all the contestants. Anyway.

I could find the all-weathers I want in Port Huron for sure. If I could go to Port Huron I would. Even order ahead using my credit card.

But really I need to stop making excuses, and just spend the money and buy winter tires . Who cares the brand, I will be trying another brand once they wear out eventually. Tires always wear out, I can always bet on that.
    In my mind, you are waiting too long. Tires sell out this time of sometimes, & you are dealing with an odd size for North America.

https://www.quattrotires.com/dimensi...nter/165/65/14

https://www.quattrotires.com/dimensi.../65/14/page/1?

Pick a couple you like, visit someone quick, & get them ordered soon! I can't physically kick you in the butt!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-20-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A good choice for someone who has to deal with snow & only wants one set of tires. .
    I do only want one set of tires, which is making this whole thing more complicated. Right now I can get Pirelli or Nordman winters (dedicated winters) at my local Kal tire. I will ask them if they can order in all-weathers. I really want all weathers for the simplicity of one new set of tires. Then I won't have to worry about tires for a while.

Kaltire doesn't make as much money with the all weathers since people aren't coming in swapping tires twice a year. Plus all weather is a new thing I think.