Thread: Back Seat USB

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Back Seat USB

Well, I have been slacking lately and mostly staying inside, so I failed to post a nice setup that I figured out to run USB to the backseat. My 9 year old daughter is the only one really sitting in the backseat, and like most kids now, she enjoys playing/watching videos on her phone/tablet. So, in order to keep her gear charging back there, and charge my wife and I's phones up front, along with the dashcam power... this is what I did.

I started with this, plugged into the front 12v source.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ran the cord from the "plug" part up into the glovebox. I then plugged in my dashcam, wife's phone charger, and my phone charger to the outlets on the adapter/splitter. I also plugged in this extension.

I then ran that extension out through the side of the glovebox area, and underneath all the lower trim, all the way to the back seat. I popped the extension through the "fold" in the rear seat and attached my daughters corresponding charging cable to it. This allows her to have a very useful charger, with out seeing any wiring, but also not modifying the car (I originally was going to add in a mounted usb charging port somewhere back there). This extension was the PERFECT length!

Some of these Amazon purchases I used Myvipon.com coupons with, which brought my total into the $20 range for the whole setup, including my daughter's charging cable.

Hopefully this helps someone who would also like rear USB charging, while not altering the vehicle.

Took some crappy cellphone pics-

What you can see upfront:

What's hidden inside glovebox:

Where the extender comes out in the backseat and charger cord is plugged into:

Last edited by Bralexander; 12-22-2020 at 08:21 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bralexander For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-22-2020),Eggman (12-22-2020),inuvik (12-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Pictures!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Pictures!
    I added some to post!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bralexander For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    Well, I have been slacking lately and mostly staying inside, so I failed to post a nice setup that I figured out to run USB to the backseat. My 9 year old daughter is the only one really sitting in the backseat, and like most kids now, she enjoys playing/watching videos on her phone/tablet. So, in order to keep her gear charging back there, and charge my wife and I's phones up front, along with the dashcam power... this is what I did.

I started with this, plugged into the front 12v source.

I ran the cord from the "plug" part up into the glovebox. I then plugged in my dashcam, wife's phone charger, and my phone charger to the outlets on the adapter/splitter. I also plugged in this extension.

I then ran that extension out through the side of the glovebox area, and underneath all the lower trim, all the way to the back seat. I popped the extension through the "fold" in the rear seat and attached my daughters corresponding charging cable to it. This allows her to have a very useful charger, with out seeing any wiring, but also not modifying the car (I originally was going to add in a mounted usb charging port somewhere back there). This extension was the PERFECT length!

Some of these Amazon purchases I used Myvipon.com coupons with, which brought my total into the $20 range for the whole setup, including my daughter's charging cable.

Hopefully this helps someone who would also like rear USB charging, while not altering the vehicle.

Took some crappy cellphone pics-

What you can see upfront:

What's hidden inside glovebox:

Where the extender comes out in the backseat and charger cord is plugged into:
    What's that big red block around the rear center seat belt? . ^^

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It holds the seat belt receptacle(?) in place. My 9 year old daughter has very mild cerebral palsy and that holder makes it much easier for her to buckle herself in, as it stabilizes that part so she can focus just on getting the buckle in there. It's something I found on amazon a couple years ago and is pretty a pretty cool idea. It really is great for kids of all ages to assist in buckling. It's made out of a silicone/rubber like material.
    Bruce

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bralexander For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-23-2020),Fummins (12-23-2020),Top_Fuel (12-23-2020)

Thanks, I'll have to pick up a couple.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (12-23-2020)