Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Mirage are here!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I looked up how much $5,300 was back in 1990, and it's about $10,644 today—a bit less than the price of the Mirage these days (give or take). Those of us old enough to remember "economy cars" from the 1980s and 1990s (such as Mark and me) know that a modern Mirage (and other inexpensive cars these days, such as the Spark, Versa) is pretty much loaded. But these days people expect tons of features and "stripped down" models rarely exist. I think some people don't know what a stripped-down car is really like. We had an '86 Colt growing up. It was complete with 12" tires, burn-your-legs-in-the-summer maroon vinyl interior, a leaky aftermarket sunroof, barely functional aftermarket A/C (no, it didn't come with it), and cardboard doorcards. Heck, my 1995 Suzuki Sidekick had no A/C, no cruise, cardboard interior door panels, etc. Bare bones. There are very few bare-bones cars anymore.

Then again, buyer expectations change. Some might consider a vehicle without a touch-screen infotanment system "bare bones," or a car that doesn't have keyless entry as "poverty spec." My '17 Mirage is the newest car I own by 10 years. I've never owned a car with a touch screen. I've never had adaptive cruise control or lane keeping. Heck the Mirage is the first car I've had with USB!

Maybe I'm falling behind the times with new-car tech (or at least owning new car tech). I don't pine for it, however.

Today's Mirages are nicely equipped at all trim levels. I don't judge a vehicle by its features. I appreciate cars that are affordable, dependable, & economical. Features alone don't make a vehicle great, nor do the lack of features make a vehicle bad in my mind. On the important points of owning an economy car, the Mirage does most things quite well.

Last edited by Mark; 01-23-2021 at 01:59 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (01-23-2021)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twister77 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-24-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twister77 View Post
    Mitsubishi needs to add 60/40 rear seats to the G4. And finally take out the fog light switch on non-fog light equipped cars.

Dummy switches in 2021? I guess some people may want that true economy car feel.

Plus, why does a new G4 have rear seats centre arm rest/ cupholder console, and yet.. the driver's seat gets no arm rest at all?? Driver really getting shafted in the comfort department, and the passengers in the back are living like kings. Is the G4 a limo driver's version of the hatchback?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mitsubishi needs to add 60/40 rear seats to the G4. And finally take out the fog light switch on non-fog light equipped cars.

Dummy switches in 2021? I guess some people may want that true economy car feel.

Plus, why does a new G4 have rear seats centre arm rest/ cupholder console, and yet.. the driver's seat gets no arm rest at all?? Driver really getting shafted in the comfort department, and the passengers in the back are living like kings. Is the G4 a limo driver's version of the hatchback?
    Good points!

My 2017 base level ES has the fog light switch on the turn signal. Could that switch be used if fog lights were added to the car? I don't think anything of it being there. I never even realized it was there, until someone shared about adding fog lights to their ES Mirage.

I personally don't feel the Mirage has changed much since 2017, except for features moved around and new front bumper/grill slapped on in 2021. In my mind, it's basically the same car. Since I like 5-speed manual powertrain, I am glad it has remained unchanged since 2017. I would be content with your 74 hp, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Because safe drivers keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times. No need for driver's armrests lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Good points!

My 2017 base level ES has the fog light switch on the turn signal. Could that switch be used if fog lights were added to the car? I don't think anything of it being there. I never even realized it was there, until someone shared about adding fog lights to their ES Mirage.

I personally don't feel the Mirage has changed much since 2017, except for features moved around and new front bumper/grill slapped on in 2021. In my mind, it's basically the same car. Since I like 5-speed manual powertrain, I am glad it has remained unchanged since 2017. I would be content with your 74 hp, too!
    That's a good point, Mark. But is it that easy to connect aftermarket fog lights with the steering column's fake switch there?

In theory you would have the ultimate sleeper fog lights upgrade. Nobody would ever know they are aftermarket. Even when you're turning them on and off, since you have the real thing switch.

As long as the grille's "cut outs" popped out seamlessly too. Might not eh. I would task this out to my brother in law, but I won't bother. My own Mirage does not have the fake fog light switch eh.

With my grille having the fake fog lights cut out, it's like not opening the Chocolate advent calendar for some people: they would just have to add fog lights. Pop the bubble wrap paper.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Because safe drivers keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times. No need for driver's armrests lol.
    My mom always said I drove with 2 fingers, and with lift trucks, you got that ball thing and it's always 1 hand driving, with the gears with the other. So I think 2 hand, 10 and 2 driving can be taken too extreme.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My mom always said I drove with 2 fingers, and with lift trucks, you got that ball thing and it's always 1 hand driving, with the gears with the other. So I think 2 hand, 10 and 2 driving can be taken too extreme.
    Given today's air bags, hand placement is a bit more important these days. I know someone who had both wrists broken when their hands were place on the top of the steering wheel on impact.

The factory Mirage center armrest is a joke. It's nice to have if you want shift your body in the seat a bit. I can rest my arm on the armrest and hold the steering wheel properly with my other vehicle. The same cannot be said with the Mirage factory armrest. Aftermarket ones look more appealing.

The rear seat armrest is about impressing your passengers in the rear. I've had one passenger since 2017, & that was for a 10 mile drive.

I wish the rear seat in the hatch folded & flipped forward, creating a flat floor in the back. You shouldn't have to remove the rear seats to create a space like that. Cars built 30 years ago were superior to what rear seat on a Mirage does.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    But safety! Think of the kids & families on the roads... There is no such thing as extreme when it comes to safety, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-24-2021),Fummins (01-24-2021)

... and the passengers in the back are living like kings. Is the G4 a limo driver's version of the hatchback?
    I can attest this is the case. I regularly have one or two back seat passengers, and with lots of legroom, soft suspension and rear seats centre arm rest, G4 is really a limo version of the hatchback.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twister77 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-24-2021)