Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Installing OEM Spoiler for Pre-Facelift & Facelift (Excl 2020) Hatch Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Have you tried lowering your rearview mirror?
    I do have my rear view mirror pushed up, because I really didn't like how it blocked my forward vision to the right.

I could try messing with it some more, because I'm not pulling off my rear spoiler.

That's not going to help the squeegee issue, however!

It's a petty thing to complain about. I know that!

I have the mirror as high as it can go for the same reason and it's still in the way sometimes. Especially when looking for cars that will soon be merging from cloverleaf interchanges, I always gotta duck down. Stupid mirror.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does not having or adding the spoiler noticeably effect MPG?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I am not taking mine off & testing it for you. When you google what a rear spoiler does, you get quotes like these -

"The rear spoilers can increase down force to make the car more stable at highway speeds and smooth out the airflow. The front spoiler or air dam, depending on the size, can increase down force also. Plus it can smooth out the airflow for less aerodynamic drag and again better fuel economy."

"Even when driving at higher speeds, drivers of vehicles with spoilers tend to have an easier time braking, making the addition of a spoiler a safer option. ... These spoilers push air around the car, reducing its drag. With less drag on your car, it takes less power to move your vehicle forward, improving its efficiency." Mar 29, 2018

On a personal level, I prefer more a flat roof line verses an egg shaped car. I feel a flatter roof line increases visibility, & I prefer the look better. The Mirage's shape with its rear spoiler surely enhances the aerodynamics of the car, & I do think the rear spoiler adds to its appearance.

My old 1990 Ford Festiva had a very flat roof line & visibility was excellent in that car. I also discovered a Festiva roof will cave in slightly when hauling a whitetail buck on the top of it. Thankfully, I was able to shove the roof back up into place from the inside after the trip. I did have a moment of panic, however! I'm less of a redneck with my Mirage.

It might

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Pretty sure it will affect fuel economy. It is patented after all:

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet but here are some patents related to both the "Automobile Body" and "Rear structure of vehicle". I found them by searching for a/the noted designer of our favorite little car, Hideyasu Nakagami.

US20140077525A1 US Application
    USD664895S1 US Design Grant: Automobile body
    US8985667B2 US Grant: Rear structure of vehicle
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems the patent focuses more on the placement of the third brake light rather than aerodynamic advantages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am not taking mine off & testing it for you.
    More interested in if OP(or anyone else who has added one) can give us a real world feedback on the MPG change instead of comments from the peanut gallery...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Simmer down. I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
    Maybe just send the op a pm or be more specific next time you want a specific answer?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Simmer down. I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
    Maybe just send the op a pm or be more specific next time you want a specific answer?
    Trust me no hurt feelings, this is more specific.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    More interested in if OP(or anyone else who has added one) can give us a real world feedback on the MPG change instead of comments from the peanut gallery...
    I wasn't trying to be smug about it. All Mirages come with a rear spoiler in North America. Darin (MetroMPG) is the only one I know who has taken his off (only to put a larger one on his Mirage). He must feel they do something to improve economy.

Only someone from a different market (without a factory rear spoiler) like Australia could comment. That's if they added one.