Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda Fit catching up?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Honda Fit catching up?

Apples to oranges, I suppose, but the newest generation of Honda Fit might get an EPA rating of 36mpg combined, according to this: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...mileage-rating

There is supposed to be a press release today for the 2015 Fit.

Of course, that is on the CVT too, where the Mirage rates at 40. I find it amusing that the article dismisses the Mirage's better numbers with this line "While the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage is rated at 40 mpg combined, it's considered a minicar--and is considerably slower than the 2015 Fit will be." Also of note they mention that the EcoBoost might not perform as well as expected.

I say apples to oranges not because the Mirage is slower, but because it has less cargo room, is considered to be less refined by most reviewers, and is approximately $3000 cheaper out the door where I live (including incentives, taxes etc.) Top speed is hardly a priority for buyers looking at these vehicles, me thinks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

I find it amusing that the article dismisses the Mirage's better numbers with this line "While the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage is rated at 40 mpg combined, it's considered a minicar--and is considerably slower than the 2015 Fit will be."
    That is an odd statement. Voelker doesn't really like the Mirage, though. He comes across as a "power & comfort first, fuel economy second" type of writer.

I was disappointed in the Fit's fuel economy from day one. The manual is geared too high for good highway numbers, buzzing away at 3k+ RPM at moderate speeds.

It could have been equipped to get better economy, but then they would have cannibalized sales of their Insight & Civic hybrids.

Mitsu didn't hold back with the Mirage because they didn't have any other models they might steal sales from.

However... Honda has a bit of a reputation for under-stating its fuel economy ratings (for non-hybrid models). I've driven a manual 2009 Fit in sub/urban driving, and managed 41 mpg (US) with only "mild" ecodriving techniques. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post337338 (Warmed up car, warm weather helped, though.) It's rated by the EPA at 27 mpg (US) city.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

However... Honda has a bit of a reputation for under-stating its fuel economy ratings (for non-hybrid models).
    Interesting. It never made much sense to me that their autos were rated better than their manuals, either. I've driven both, and the automatics were pretty much dead on, or perhaps a little worse, and the manuals I could do a little better than rated. I also found it odd that the Fit gets slightly worse fuel efficiency than the civic, despite being smaller, lighter, lower displacement and lower power. It must all be aerodynamics.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

I also drove a manual Civic on the same route I took the manual Fit on, and managed 39 mpg (US) vs. the Fit's 41. Close, but the Fit still "won." Sub/urban only though; can't comment on highway results personally.

It's normal to be able to exceed the EPA rating of a manual transmission by a greater degree than the same engine with an automatic. It has to do with the manual testing method: prescribed (non-eco) shift points, and coasting is prohibited during the test. See: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ing-27416.html

Highway driving in the real world is another issue though - it's all about the top gear/final drive ratio.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (01-13-2014)

Another thought...

I think it's likely that almost any newly redesigned vehicle we look at will be 'catching up' relative to the Mirage's economy. Stricter regulations, customer demand, and generally rising fuel prices will see to it.

What I wonder is whether Mitsu is going to squeeze more out of the Mirage... (and whether we'll see it outside of Europe/Japan)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (01-13-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i think any compact car can outdo the mirage in fuel and in so many other ways if you put a 3 cylinder engine in them.

... and shave 300-500 lbs off them.

FYI, GCR's latest article about the new Fit, just published today:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...roit-auto-show

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (01-13-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i love the fit, my parents have an old white base model but i think we were walking out of the dealer at around 17k. but it really has a bunch of room in the back and an amazingly flat load .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Rear view camera and bluetooth standard - I wonder how much the price will go up - already the Fit is near the top of its class in price. I'll be looking for the manual transmission numbers (probably worse than the CVT, or they would have been published)