Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2020 Mirage review on MotoringTV, with new host Zack

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Price of gas was around $1.41 a Canadian litre, back in March/April of 2014 when I bought my Mirage. Today I paid $1.15 or so a litre, and that's high for nowadays. Gas was as low as $.67 cents back in the spring.

Point is people are going to want fuel efficient cars, when gas goes up, and they have to pay $200 to fill up their truck. I think when the oil crisis hit in the 1970s then people probably bought more VW bugs because they were comparatively fuel efficient.

Just wait and Mirage will have its time to shine again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I hate to admit it but I'm rooting for higher gas prices so the Mirage will sell better, opening up more aftermarket parts from Napa so my mechanic doesn't have to go with OEM Mitsu parts, like they did with my drums.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I hate to admit it but I'm rooting for higher gas prices so the Mirage will sell better, opening up more aftermarket parts from Napa so my mechanic doesn't have to go with OEM Mitsu parts, like they did with my drums.
    I also hate to agree with you on this one....but it seems the only way to keep the mini car market at least alive in the US instead of slowly spiraling down the drain

Keep gas prices low and just find a more resourceful mechanic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Rockauto.com lists 8 different brake shoes (for rear drums) for my Mirage. I have to believe most of them would work perfectly well. I also realize your mechanic had issues with aftermarket parts, but that could happen for any brand. It may be less likely for Civic or Corolla, but mistakes happen all the time.

Just comparing prices slightly, I don't see how it would be much different having my front brakes/rotors replaced on my 2017 Mirage verses my 2011 Forester. Parts aren't priced that differently. 2017 Corolla brake parts are about the same price, too. In the case of Corolla, however, there are 3X more options. Don't quote me on all this. I am just looking in general.

Are rear brake shoes/drums going to be a little more costly to replace than a vehicle with rear brake pads/rotors (instead of having drums)? Most likely it may cost a little more, but brake shoes/drums may last a bit longer. My point - Comparing rear brake shoes/drums to brake pads/rotors is not really comparing apples to apples either.

I am not concerned about parts costing extra for a Mirage I guess. Doing an oil change myself (same oil) for Mirage is cheaper than my Subaru, because a Forester takes 5.5 quarts of oil. Once 5-quart jug doesn't complete the job, & that's a bit annoying.

I have the advantage of living near a small town. I feel like I have an owner friendship with the two main mechanic places I use. We know each other by first name. I've either taught or coached their kids (sometimes both). I don't feel bad giving them my business at times. Mechanical things need maintenance & repairs. It comes with owning stuff.

Even though a new Mirage comes with a 10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty, I hope my Mirage never needs to go back to the dealership for anything.

I don't disagree that Mitsubishi OEM parts are over-priced. If I had to replace something like a starter, an aftermarket one for a Mirage is no more expensive than Corolla. Personally, I wouldn't even replace a starter. We have two shops in town that would rebuild them for less. Now, going to Mitsubishi dealership verses a Toyota dealership is another story!

I feel gas has been high ever since it went over a $1/gallon. Does that make me old?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Rockauto.com lists 8 different brake shoes (for rear drums) for my Mirage. I have to believe most of them would work perfectly well. I also realize your mechanic had issues with aftermarket parts, but that could happen for any brand. It may be less likely for Civic or Corolla, but mistakes happen all the time.

Just comparing prices slightly, I don't see how it would be much different having my front brakes/rotors replaced on my 2017 Mirage verses my 2011 Forester. Parts aren't priced that differently. 2017 Corolla brake parts are about the same price, too. In the case of Corolla, however, there are 3X more options. Don't quote me on all this. I am just looking in general.

Are rear brake shoes/drums going to be a little more costly to replace than a vehicle with rear brake pads/rotors (instead of having drums)? Most likely it may cost a little more, but brake shoes/drums may last a bit longer. My point - Comparing rear brake shoes/drums to brake pads/rotors is not really comparing apples to apples either.

I am not concerned about parts costing extra for a Mirage I guess. Doing an oil change myself (same oil) for Mirage is cheaper than my Subaru, because a Forester takes 5.5 quarts of oil. Once 5-quart jug doesn't complete the job, & that's a bit annoying.

I have the advantage of living near a small town. I feel like I have an owner friendship with the two main mechanic places I use. We know each other by first name. I've either taught or coached their kids (sometimes both). I don't feel bad giving them my business at times. Mechanical things need maintenance & repairs. It comes with owning stuff.

Even though a new Mirage comes with a 10-year/100,000 powertrain warranty, I hope my Mirage never needs to go back to the dealership for anything.

I don't disagree that Mitsubishi OEM parts are over-priced. If I had to replace something like a starter, an aftermarket one for a Mirage is no more expensive than Corolla. Personally, I wouldn't even replace a starter. We have two shops in town that would rebuild them for less. Now, going to Mitsubishi dealership verses a Toyota dealership is another story!

I feel gas has been high ever since it went over a $1/gallon. Does that make me old?
    My issue is my trusted mechanic is fantastic but he only does warranty work with parts he trusts. Apparently RockAuto isn't well respected because it's a lot of cheap Chinese knockoffs. In regards to my drums, he ordered twice from Napa and neither set worked. He ended up having to go to a Mitsu dealership and measure them out to make sure they fit. It was a whole fiasco. Next time I could call other shops and see if they are willing to put in a Rock Auto part if they can't find what I need from Napa, Auto Zone, etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    My issue is my trusted mechanic is fantastic but he only does warranty work with parts he trusts. Apparently RockAuto isn't well respected because it's a lot of cheap Chinese knockoffs. In regards to my drums, he ordered twice from Napa and neither set worked. He ended up having to go to a Mitsu dealership and measure them out to make sure they fit. It was a whole fiasco. Next time I could call other shops and see if they are willing to put in a Rock Auto part if they can't find what I need from Napa, Auto Zone, etc.
    I am not suggesting you or your mechanic use rockauto.com. I just used them to compare prices between different vehicles like the Mirage, my Forester, and a common car like the Corolla. I would rather buy parts locally or use whatever my mechanic suggested, too.

I would be disappointed if overpriced Mitsubishi parts were all I could use on my Mirage, too!