Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: probably need a heater core - 5yr warranty replacement?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    ...without damage or mistakes caused by dealership flat rate techs.
    When I had my car at the dealer a couple of years ago, the service advisor told me that they had never done a heater core on a Mirage before. Uh oh...

I don't have anything against flat rate techs...as long as mine is the 20th heater core they have done...not the first!

EDIT - Attached to this post is a PDF of a document I wrote and intended to send to Mitsubishi if they tried to hang me out to dry on my heater core. If you need a single document to hand to a dealer outlining the issue, this is a good start. This is the TSB that probably should exist for these cars.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-29-2020 at 12:38 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-29-2020),foama (12-29-2020),MirageRally (12-29-2020),spork (01-14-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Another point to consider:
    The coolant flows through the heater core and then flows through the butterfly assembly. No idea if that fouls up too, and what consequences would be.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question

A little late, but thanks a bunch Top_Fuel! That document was helpful and really well organized!

So I ended up getting my heater core replaced under warranty. 🎉 Yay! However...

On my drive home, I noticed the car engine/coolant (measured by ultragauge) was not getting as hot as it should at all. The highest I saw was in the 150s and it should be hanging out in the 190s. Once I was on a highway, the warmup light actually came back ON, and the temp got down to 120ish. As you can imagine, the heat output is also not that great then. The temperature outside was about 15 degrees, and my trip was approximately 20 miles. The paperwork they gave me also states that the thermostat was replaced. Coolant reservoir was full, didn't check radiator (yet).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spork View Post
    ...I ended up getting my heater core replaced under warranty.
    That's good to hear...especially knowing that it was under warranty!

...the car engine/coolant (measured by ultragauge) was not getting as hot as it should at all.
    ...The paperwork they gave me also states that the thermostat was replaced.
    Well...that sucks. I guess my first question would be... why did they replace the thermostat during a heater core replacement? It's possible that Mitsubishi tells them to do this as part of the job...or maybe they experienced the same thing you are seeing now (no heat) after they put it all back together...so they just threw a thermostat in it. It wouldn't be the first time a dealership threw parts at a problem without diagnosing it.

Keep checking the coolant level to make sure it's full. It sounds like either the thermostat still isn't working properly or maybe they didn't bleed all of the air out of the cooling system when they put everything back together?!? An air pocket in the wrong place can cause some strange results.

In any case, it's not your problem. Take it back and they will have to sort it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    A little late, but thanks a bunch Top_Fuel! That document was helpful and really well organized!

So I ended up getting my heater core replaced under warranty. 🎉 Yay! However...

On my drive home, I noticed the car engine/coolant (measured by ultragauge) was not getting as hot as it should at all. The highest I saw was in the 150s and it should be hanging out in the 190s. Once I was on a highway, the warmup light actually came back ON, and the temp got down to 120ish. As you can imagine, the heat output is also not that great then. The temperature outside was about 15 degrees, and my trip was approximately 20 miles. The paperwork they gave me also states that the thermostat was replaced. Coolant reservoir was full, didn't check radiator (yet).
    It's great to hear it got replaced under warranty. Others should take note of that. Sounds like you may have a faulty thermostat or something wasn't done right in the installation. Hopefully, they will get it sorted out for you.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

On my drive home, I noticed the car engine/coolant (measured by ultragauge) was not getting as hot as it should at all. The highest I saw was in the 150s and it should be hanging out in the 190s. Once I was on a highway, the warmup light actually came back ON, and the temp got down to 120ish...
    Typical for very large air pocket in the cylinder head. Hope no damage was done, you will want to check radiator coolant level!

On mine the thermostat was replaced years ago, an easy simple job. Same thermostat as in SMART car.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Angry

Well, here's my radiator. I've honestly never opened the cap, but if it's like my metros, I'm assuming it should be filled to the top. :/

Name:  MirageRad.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  90.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also suspect an air pocket in the cooling system. Run the car with the cap off and add coolant till full and it reaches operating temp. Shut off and let it cold soak and check again.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

pawpaw (01-23-2021),Top_Fuel (01-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also discovered they put in green coolant instead of the blue... Since I can't see any coolant in the radiator, I stuck a paper towel down the reservoir.

Name:  MirageCoolant.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  85.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMirage501 View Post
    ...can you send me the pdf to take to dealer
    Scroll to post #11 in this thread and look for this image at the end of that post...

Name:  heater_core_pdf.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  11.3 KB

Click on the link in ^^^ that box in post #11 and you should see the PDF.