Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: probably need a heater core - 5yr warranty replacement?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

probably need a heater core - 5yr warranty replacement?

I bought my 2015 Mirage brand new in March 2016, so I believe I should still have a few months of the 5yr warranty, and the heater core should be covered under that? I've never dealt with a car warranty claim, and I'm looking for tips on actually having them cover this so I pay nothing. I'm worried they'll try to tell me this is within spec somehow lol, or tell me it's covered and actually have me end up paying. Do I tell them this should be covered by warranty when I make my appointment? Would they charge me some sort of diagnostic fee, or is that waived with warranty work? D:

Yesterday it was mid 30s out, and I maxed out the heat and blasted it out of the front vents. The far passenger side was under 100 degrees, while far driver side is in the 130s. The floor vent is even worse, though I did not get down there with the IR thermometer to check it. The passenger only gets air blown at their feet, absolutely nowhere near hot. My boyfriend was complaining his feet were cold (I'm always the cold one lol) and sure enough, no heat for his feet! Something is clearly wrong here and having read about the heater cores going bad, I believe that is likely.

video:
    https://youtu.be/t0Vsn581csA

Name:  mirageheat1.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  80.5 KB
    Name:  mirageheat2.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  82.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, it looks like you have the clogged heater core. If you can get it fixed under warranty I would highly recommend that path.

The video you took might help and hopefully, Mitsubishi and to a lesser extent the dealers are aware of this flaw and will not need to be beaten into submission. My car was still under warranty when I noticed the same problem but I hate dealers so much I couldn't bring myself to take it in and ended up fixing it myself (warranty was done at this point) at high risk to my car.

Unfortunately, this is also the kind of job a dealer mechanic can screw up and if they mess up a cable somewhere I can already hear them telling you "we were working on the heater core it has nothing to do with that problem".

Hopefully somebody will come along with some good advice for "dealing with dealers" and counter act my gloom and doom. I'm fairly sure a warranty repair would be completely free but there is a gray area where they might try to charge you a diagnostic fee if they refuse to acknowledge the problem after checking your car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spork View Post
    I bought my 2015 Mirage brand new in March 2016, so I believe I should still have a few months of the 5yr warranty, and the heater core should be covered under that?
    The bumper-to-bumper warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles...whichever comes first. If you have under 60,000 miles, you're still under warranty. If they verify your complaint and it's a warranty repair, there should be no diagnostic fee.

I have a 2015 that I also purchased new in March of 2016. I took my car in for a heater core replacement a couple of years ago and was denied (sort of). Here is what I gave the service advisor when I dropped off my car:

Name:  concern.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  67.2 KB

HERE is a link to my story.

Unfortunately for me, I don't live in a super-cold winter climate. My dealer had never received a single heater core complaint from a Mirage owner. I was the first...so I don't think they took me seriously. You guys living in colder climates will probably have better luck.

The most important lesson I learned from my experience: You have to tell these guys the EXACT conditions how to duplicate your lack-of-heat complaint. Even using the document above, the dealer I went to still managed to screw it up and said they couldn't duplicate my concern. But I got Mitsubishi Customer Service involved and the issue was resolved to my satisfaction.

I would consider buying 2 or 3 cheap HVAC thermometers from Harbor Freight so you can simultaneously monitor the temp of each of your dash vents. It will be much easier to demonstrate your case that way instead of using an infrared thermometer.

Name:  Thermometers.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  84.9 KB

Here is one of those thermometers in my passenger-side vent. I think my driver's side vent was something like 140 degrees at the same time.

Name:  right_vent.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  88.8 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-28-2020 at 05:26 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I was going through this mess, I created my own Technical Service Bulletin PDF file describing the Mirage's "low heat" conditions and what is causing it. I included photos and simple diagrams so anyone could understand the problem and how to properly diagnose it...even a dealer tech. I had that document ready just in case they tried to claim there was no issue with Mirage heater cores.

Update: That PDF I created is now attached to post #11 of this thread.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-29-2020 at 01:17 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    When I was going through this mess, I created my own Technical Service Bulletin PDF file describing the Mirage's "low heat" conditions and what is causing it. I included photos and simple diagrams so anyone could understand the problem and how to properly diagnose it...even a dealer tech. Unfortunately it's over 1MB so it's too big to upload here. I had that document ready just in case they tried to claim there was no issue with Mirage heater cores.
    Hey Top_Fuel can you try putting your TSB in your heater core thread? Some changes were made that might allow uploading it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just tried attaching it to that thread and it's telling me the file is still too big...

Name:  error_msg.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  42.0 KB

I can send it to you if you need to upload it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I just tried attaching it to that thread and it's telling me the file is still too big...
    That stinks. Any way to trim back its size? If you can't upload it I can't. And it sounds like a good resource. Maybe split it into two attachments?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK...that's a good idea. I'll work on that and post it when it's done.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-28-2020)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can also do this job for you without damage or mistakes caused by dealership flat rate techs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I can also do this job for you without damage or mistakes caused by dealership flat rate techs.
    Well when I need to have my heater core replaced I'll see you at the next Geopalooza, lol.

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles